Accommodation in KL for 7 to 8 months for PhD student

Hi, I'm a PhD student from the Netherlands and I'll be staying in KL for 7-8 months to do my fieldwork. Just arrived and currently staying in a guesthouse/hotel while looking for a longer-term place to stay. I guess I'm looking for a condo for 1 person in an area, which has at least some liveliness in the evening in the sense that I can go outside to eat and/or have a drink in a street stall or restaurant (i.e., not in a business district, which I'm assuming will be rather deserted in the evening) and also which allows short-term rentals (7 or 8 months, which I understand is not so common here). It does not need to be in an all-expat neighborhood (I'm a social scientist, so in fact I'd be interested to experience more of the 'local'). Yet near to MRT/LRT or other public transport line would be convenient, as I do expect to go around the city for my research. Budget is 2500 MYR max.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Great place for you would be Ceylon One  in Bukit bintang. Brand new and RM 2300 is the going rate.

https://www.expat.com/en/classified/asi … -rent.html

Close to everywhere you want to be. Close also to transportation i.e. Monorail to connect to LRT, etc.

Definitely try One Bukit Ceylon

If the above is not to your liking, then just look it up on www.iproperty.com.my to see what is on offer.  Close to nightlife and public transportation as well as retail therapy and great street food options.

Thanks gravitas, that looks pretty good actually. I'll check it out. One more question: a property agent, to whom I directed a similar request and perhaps particularly triggered by me mentioning also wanting to integrate a bit with the 'local life', instead of mostly hanging out with expats, now suddenly suggested Petaling Jaya to me. Seems a totally different thing, and far away from the city center. On the other hand, I visited KL on previous travels, did all the tourist things, and hanging out around Bukit Bintang (staying there right now) does feel a bit 'touristy' right now. What would you say?

PJ covers a huge area so its difficult to comment. An issue in that area is the lack of an integrated public transport network. I would also consider the "safety in numbers" aspect. Not sure how and where you intend to mingle?  However, if you join inter nations dot org you have access to lots of events at which Malaysians and other nationalities will be present. However, most of them are within about a 10 km radius of the CC, unless they are trips to interesting places or events.

You will mingle via university. I had a friend here doing same as you. He lived near uni and got a motorbike to go out to town centre. Personally if young free and single and at a uni I would be "building extensive cultural links" with the female student population. Best to gave a large sample and what best way to learn some language and about culture than having Malay, indian, Chinese and mixed Malaysians (of various types) as gfs? Remember statistically significant results are invalid of less that 20 per types so that makes 80 gfs in 8 months. So hurry up  :offtopic:

Hey if i were young.....

I would live near campus!!!!

(Moderated: please post your offer only in housing section)

Hi,
I am local here and currently looking for a person to share a flat with my tenant; a young American expatriate working as an architect. The condo is Ampang Boulevard and is in intermediate location of city and natural jungle; 10 minutes to go to KLCC and 10 minutes away from the hidden jungle (natural waterfall; jungle tracking,hiking & ATV ride). A walkaway from street food and all those local scene. Few minutes walk to all the public amenities and public transportation. The room is open for 7-8 months of rental. In addition, a nice landlady will show you around or if you have any questions regarding the local stuff, don't hesitate to ask. :) Anyway, feel free to drop me a message to my email [email protected] to ask further or make a viewing appointment.

sid here, i have a place for you, far more cheaper than you think and its ok to live, safe and alive, nice and clean home, call me 0166998294 or whats app

Thanks so much for all your replies, both public and private. I've found s'thing in the mean time (I opted for a serviced apartment at Maytower: central and within budget).

Natarus - Its great to get some feedback and know the end of the story. Thank you.