Minimum wage for the US

Will be in the US by nov, i wish to know the minimum wage for the US.
Thanks!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=federal+minimum+wage

There is no maximum limit. (unless working in a particular company)

I think the minimum wage currently is around 7-8 dollars an hour.

10k a month is for RICH people.

Poor people (single) make around 1.5k a month or less

middle class 2.5 k to 3-4 k

rich 5k plus a month.

There are many online ways to make a lot of money. Most of them are scams.. the good one's are the one's that require hard work.

It never ceases to amaze me that in the United States of America, a country that claims to be "the most powerful nation on earth" with over 316 million inhabitants, that the Minimum Wage is a shameful $7.25 per hour.

Canada on the other hand, with a population of just over 35 million has a Minimum Wage ranging from $10 to $11 per hour (depending on the province). The Canadian Minimum Wage has been over $7.25 in all provinces since 2008.

No wonder the USA is called "Then land of the free and home of the brave", you've got to be very brave to try and live on the paltry sum of $7.25 per hour!!!

Funny how it goes, the three most populous nations in the Western hemisphere, USA, Mexico and Brazil have minimum wages of $7.25, $0.61 and $2.11 respectively. Somebody's obviously getting very rich off this, and it's certainly NOT the workers.

Thanks alot but can one do more than one job in the US? And how expensive is the house rent in the province of California? please help.

Uzeey Darlington wrote:

Thanks alot but can one do more than one job in the US? And how expensive is the house rent in the province of California? please help.

There are two types of Minimum wage, Federal and State. State trumps Federal, see here. It may not be accurate so verify with the states labor site for the updated minimum wage. If it is a liberal state the minimum wage will be higher if it is conservative it will be lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wa … ted_States

wjwoodward wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me that in the United States of America, a country that claims to be "the most powerful nation on earth" with over 316 million inhabitants, that the Minimum Wage is a shameful $7.25 per hour.

Canada on the other hand, with a population of just over 35 million has a Minimum Wage ranging from $10 to $11 per hour (depending on the province). The Canadian Minimum Wage has been over $7.25 in all provinces since 2008.

No wonder the USA is called "Then land of the free and home of the brave", you've got to be very brave to try and live on the paltry sum of $7.25 per hour!!!

Funny how it goes, the three most populous nations in the Western hemisphere, USA, Mexico and Brazil have minimum wages of $7.25, $0.61 and $2.11 respectively. Somebody's obviously getting very rich off this, and it's certainly NOT the workers.

I can always count on James to bash the USA, lol. Comparing the minimum wage in Mexico and Brazil to the US is like comparing apples to oranges, look at the difference. Also, the exchange rate 11CAD is about 10USD. There is a huge difference in population - Canada and the US.

Most jobs in the US do not pay minimum wage. Fast food and entry level jobs do. That is life. It is possible to go from rags to riches. I had a minimum wage job. My parents did not pay my way through life, I am doing just fine - I just needed determination, not a hand me out.

Actually Matt, I'm not bashing the USA just the minimum wage. I'm hardly alone in that since many economists have also stated publicly that is should be considerably higher for a number of valid reasons. Some of them even suggest that it should be as high as $21.16 per hour, but I think that's unrealisticly high.

Even noted US newspapers are extremely critical of the minimum wage, the New York Times and the Huffington Post, among them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/1 … 99420.html

It is estimated that 1 in 4 US workers are in jobs that pay at or below the minimum wage (yes, below because some jobs are exempt from the Federal Minimum Wage Law). 25% of the US population is not a figure to be sneezed at.

So, will there be any negative impact on raising the minimum wage? Many economists say that this is highly unlikely since the minimum wage is already so low.

They also point out the fallacy of the age old excuse for not raising the minimum wage, that doing so will mean a reduction in the number of jobs. They point out two compelling reasons that this is simply untrue...

Reason number 1.  Many of the low paying jobs wouldn't end up being outsourced to lower paying countries, because the cost involved in doing so and the small amount that would be saved simply does not justify that. Here a good example of the truth of this argument is again found in Canada. Even though Canada has a much higher minimum wage than either the USA or Mexico, the other members of the North American Free Trade Agreement - NAFTA, jobs didn't start flowing out of Canada to the USA and Mexico as a result. Also there are a number of US laws that would make outsourcing US jobs extremely difficult in the first place.

Reason number 2.  Most of the lower paid jobs are unskilled and really those that need some eyes and common sense. Jobs that while perhaps they COULD be automated, doing so would not be cost effective in any way. Nobody in his right mind would suggest spending the vast sums of money needed to bring robotics to flipping burgers at McDonalds, or automating other low skilled jobs even with a higher minimum wage.

Another fallacy is that a higher minimum wage would be harmful to the economy (well maybe only to the economy of the boardroom of big corporations) but certainly not to the US economy. In fact, it would be a boost to the economy in that it would boost consumerism, having all those people with a little bit of extra income that they would be spending on goods and services that they can't afford right now.

All these same excuses were tried on for size in Canada by those who opposed raising the minimum wage, our provincial governments thankfully saw through the smoke and mirrors; they didn't buy into the line being spouted by big business and raised the minimum wage anyway. They proved that the statements made by big business were wrong long ago, and these lame excuses haven't reared up their ugly heads again in Canada since.

Brazil steadfastly refuses to raise the pathetic minimum wage that they have. They whine and complain that the government simply doesn't have the money to do that. Well folks, that's a pure crock of doo-doo, they've got the highest tax revenues of any nation on earth. They don't cry poor when the polititions who are already making mega-salaries that would put American private sector presidents, vice-presidents and CEO's salaries to shame.... they vote themselves heafty pay increases anyway and quibble about a couple of centavos for the common citizen.