Home Affairs Lost my Application?

Greetings from a fellow Expat!

Seven (7) months ago, I submitted an application for the renewal of my Temporary Resident Permit (Relative) here in Nelspruit and was told to make a follow-up after 3 months. Three (3) months later, I was told to come back after Two (2) weeks, which I did. Then, told to come back month after month, which I "just" did. Finally, a month ago, an officer instructed me to phone the main office directly as VFS is handling the application from then on. I phoned the 1800 number and was told that "YES" the main office got my documents and have to phone them back after 2 weeks to know the outcome. Two weeks later, I phoned and was told that they are still working on it. Yesterday at exactly 9AM, I got a shock of my life hearing that the Processing Time is Overdue and was told to take the department to court. As I asked for another option, an agent told me to send a copy of all my documents through fax, which I did right away and was told to phone again today to make sure that they received all the documents.. Today, I phoned again and was told that they got all the documents and have to phone them back "again" after Three (3) weeks.

As a foreigner, I feel lost. I just don't know where to go from here.

:sosad:
Sen

Hi Senith,

I am in the same situation, I applied 7 months ago and have been calling home affairs every two weeks. I was told to send my documents again. I do not think they've lost the documents, at least that is what I was told. I am really stress about this situation, I do not know what else to do and I need to leave the country very soon.
I called HA today and they told me to call again in two weeks, I am tired of that answer.

Please let me know if somethings happens on your side, if your receive any positive feedback.

Good luck

Hi Camerao!

It's awkward to think that you are in the same boat as I am, but glad to know that I AM NOT ALONE. I am scheduled to phone them in Three (3) weeks time and don't know what excuse/result they can come up with. Four (4) years ago, there was a delay on my renewal as well and managed to leave and come back the country with just the receipt I got from them. I remember phoning the DHA hotline and they gave me a contact person at the airport, in case I needed assistance. I must say, it worked very well then.  I do not know now.

Keep well.

Sen

[moderated: no free ads please register your company in the business directory]

Hi Senith,

Have you heard anything from Home Affairs yet? I just got a message on my phone saying that my application was finalised and can get the results in 5 working days. I am relieved but nervous about not knowing the result.
Good luck :)

Hi Camerao!

Haven't heard from them, yet. I'm glad that something is happening with your papers. Goodluck and would love to hear what's the outcome.

Sen

In short, you have two options here:

1. Wait until finally they either issue you a decision on your application or tell you that it is lost (this does actually happen sometimes).

2. "Take them to court" - this means first issuing them a letter of demand stating that you will take legal action if they do not issue a decision within 30 days and then second actually getting a High Court order demanding a decision. Both require the services of an immigration lawyer.

Hi there!

I'm taking the first option as I was told by the department. Unfortunately, I cannot travel anywhere for now, but hoping that everything will be settled soon. Taking them to court is out of my vocabulary as I am not prepared to go through all the chaos.

Wish us luck!

Sen

Hello Everyone!

Finally got my renewed application yesterday.

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.

That's great news Senith, well done! I'm South African, and my foreign wife and I have gone through a similar sort of dilemma each time she's renewed her visa.

For the first four months after applying nobody at Home Affairs will really help you, because the sad truth is that they consider that the 'average' application time. Only once it goes beyond there, you can start to really escalate your query.

As a last-ditch effort, try reporting the matter directly to some of the senior executives whose e-mail addresses are listed on Home Affairs' website. That really does help in some situations, as my wife and I can attest to.

Certainly, to keep phoning the call centre and to keep dealing with the branch is generally a waste of time.