IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

Hi John hope you are doing well, I believe now with the new laws in effect the report of no crimes is no longer required, and now they have replaced that with a declaration of no crimes, of course this is only for permanency through child birth or permanency through marriage. For child birth I am sure the certificate is no longer required for the simple fact that my wife and I went through this process ourselves.  However I am not sure a 100 percent if the same is applicable for Permanancy through marriage as well now.

Hi JohnC,

Just like to point out here that according to the Federal Police, we are required by law to carry the ORIGINAL of our Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro; even a certified copy won't do.

I doubt however that if you've got a certified copy that they're going to come down hard on you. I agree carrying the original and risk losing it is kind of stupid, but since when aren't Brazilian laws and rules stupid? The Federal Police even advise expats not to carry their original passport, just a certified copy of the ID page and current visa page (if required). As far as dealing with the Military Police and probably even the Federal Police if you've got a certified copy or photographic image of both sides of the CIE you won't raise too many eyebrows. They'll probably take you home to get the original if it's something serious and they really want to see it. I always carry mine, but I'm painfully aware of the risk I'm taking of losing it and the insane cost of replacement.

The only problem I've ever encountered with NOT HAVING the original CIE with me was when I left home for class in a rush and forgot my wallet. In most large companies you have to show your ID (original only) at reception to get through security. Although I've been giving classes at state owned Petrobras for 3 years, and am known on sight by everyone there, I couldn't even get in with the image of both sides of my CIE photographed on my iPhone, they insisted on the original.  Most large companies here in Brazil are the same.

Cheers,
James

I was stopped at a check point while driving, My international license was accepted no problem as well as a copy of my CIE no catorio stamp. I must have been extremely lucky that day. They did question the International licence but his superior said it was ok and waved us through.  One other thought ever thought of applying for a duplicate that option is available at about half the cost of having to try and obtain one without the original.

Funny how the cops here just assume all of us "gingos" have a DL. I never had a Brazilian CNH and my Canadian DL got cancelled shortly after I arrived in Brazil, I was a professional driver and they notified me to take a medical, I wasn't in Canada so they cancelled it outright. I drove here for several years without a license (REALLY FOLKS DON'T DO THIS) and always had a nice car. I got waved through every blitz that I ever came across. One time in Porto Seguro, driving to my then mother-in-laws home with my ex-wife's two young sons in the back seat of my Chevy Blazer Executive "carrão", I took the back road through the local favela which was the shortest route. Nearly crapped when I came upon cops everywhere because there had been a murder. I got stopped, with one young kid black like his mom, and the other white like his biological father... here am I an old fart driving around with two young kids, no DL thinking I'd get arrested as a suspected pedophile and end up in jail. The Coronel saw my smiling white face, looked at the big expensive car and just asked where I was going. When I told him, "Estou indo para a casa da minha sogra pra buscar a minha esposa" he smiled and told me to have a nice day, while warning me of the dangers of the road I was on.... didn't even think to ask for my DL. So one poor SOB got killed, but it was this old gringo that dodged a very big bullet. kkkkkk

Cheers,
James

Ok this still confuses the heck out of me

What do you mean carry the RNE .....you mean the ID card , isn't that called a CIE

as far as I understand the RNE is your Brazilian ID no and the CIE is the card or am I missing something here

I just have the plastic CIE card with an RNE no on it and an old paper SINCRE

You are correct! :)

Sorry for the Confusion it is a CIE with an RNE no. on it  but that said I don't carry my original as the original at one time was misplaced which I thought was stolen with the wallet, to make a long story short however it was found several weeks later in the apartment seems it had fallen into the wooden frame of the sofa.  To replace it required your passport copied and notarize, your  first born,  a letter from the consulate with your picture on it stating your passport picture was you with your name, your parents name and your birth date on it all certified at a catorio as well.
You would think looking at your passport photo it would be obvious it was you, but not in Brazil. The fees would have cost R$200 for the letter and R$300 for the fees to ask them to send you a new one. Not to mention all the catorio stamp fees needed for all the copies on everything .  Again whatever you do don't loose your original. They offer a duplicate of the original for R$142 I think but will have to check, If you feel you must carry your original at least get a duplicate issued to keep in a safe place. It will save you some big time headaches later on if you did happen to loose it.

No you aren't wrong. The CIE is the ID card, the number it has on it is your RNE or registration number. The two terms are used almost synonymously here.

Cheers,
James

Thats insane ....is it still like that?
A letter from your consulate stating it is you in your passport?!?

stevefunk wrote:

Thats insane ....is it still like that?
A letter from your consulate stating it is you in your passport?!?

The letter is called an "Inscrição Consular" and it is also required in most states in order to apply at the Cartório for permission to marry. application for naturalization, and may also be required for a few other things. This is Brazil Steve, this country thrives on bureaucracy and rules, none of which make sense. That's just the way it is and the way it has been since this place was colonized by the Portuguese discoverers. Don't try and figure out any of it, or you'll just drive yourself crazy.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

stevefunk! Arrange your marraige in a Cortorio of any small city of Sao Paulo State. I think it would not demand for a letter of Consulate.

Well that was in Manaus It is different in other parts of Brazil I think probably less bureaucratic in SP or RJ but ask James as he lives closer to there

Hello James,

do you know by chance the opening times of the Polícia Federal Superintendência Regional da Bahia?

I searched in the web but I can't find it! My CIE is ready and I want to go there next week.

Muito obrigado,

Gonçalo

Hello Gonçalo,

Actually it depends on the city, they're all different. In major cities like São Paulo, Rio and Belo Horizonte for example they start attending people at 9:00 am. (as far as I know). In smaller cities they often do double duty, looking after Brazilians seeking passports in the morning and foreigners with immigrations matters only in the afternoon. The only way to be sure is to go there and ask.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Ok, thanks a lot for you quick answer!

Best regards,

Goncalo

So if I now have a permanent visa (VIPER) and due to arrive in Brasil for only one week.. Can I still apply for the CIE? Just concerned about the time it will take to receive the card.

I have completed and printed 140082 - Registro de Estrangeiro and 140120 - Carteira de Estrangeiro de Primeira Via (filled Unidade Arrecadadora: Galeao RJ which is where I will land) and plan to pay on the day that I land in order to attend the appointment.

Any advice on timeframe? Will I need to come back again just to get the card?  Are they able to mail it?

You have to pick up the CIE in person, it takes around 60 days or so to be made in Brasília and sent back to the DPF where you applied.

You've go a VIPER Permanent Visa, but don't intend to reside in Brazil??? Why bother then? (the logical question)
and how in the world did you get the visa?

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Ah James - Mom's the word..  Just kidding - I'm married to my beautiful wife rs..  The intention is to live there eventually but not exactly at this time as I have a lot of winding down to do first.. I had the idea of going through all the bureaucracy now, so that I do not encounter barriers later on.  Well, that's my thinking anyway.  Why I'm trying to cover myself re: taxation etc  hope it makes sense

Hi! While applying for my naturalization, I have to pass CElpE-Bras? Or my certificates of ``Lingua Portuguesa para Entrangeiros`` of UNESP may be accepted by FP? thanks!

I would expect that your certificates would be sufficient. Actually the CELPE-Bras is NOT always used, some DPF delegacies even apply their own test. The law really only requires some proof of fluency and there is no clear definition as to exactly what form that proof must take.

Cheers,

What I mean is , I don't really have any income of note outside of Brazil, so will I have to prove this is the case to the Brazilian government or do you just simply put "no " on the tax return

Thanks

You can claim that you have no foreign income, that still will not prevent the Receita Federal from making every effort to verify that. They haven't been given the nickname "The Lion" for nothing, they are brutal and tireless in their efforts to discover every centavo of undeclared income.

If you have no foreign income, then there will be absolutely no paper trail. If one has an income of any kind, there is always a paper trail and the Receita is an expert at following paper trails. Audits are commonplace, and if any irregularities are turned up, they aren't the least bit forgiving.

Far better that one simply bite the bullet and claim exactly what, if any foreign income they may have than to risk the potential consequences of not reporting all or part of that income. Taxation is the ONLY thing that the Brazilian government is concerned about, everything they do is about more and more taxes. The Receita takes the issue of taxes very seriously... to the extreme.

Steve, you are really getting off topic for this thread. Please if you have any further questions about tax issues would you kindly post them on your other topic thread or post a new topic.

Cheers,

I was discussing my ongoing preparations for a permanent visa (through marriage) with a friend in Brazil. (American). He is of the belief that there will be documents my spouse will have to sign for, relating to my visa, long after I actually get the visa. Is this accurate? Do any of you know what he was referring to?

Thanks

There is nothing that your spouse will have to sign after you get your visa. The whole system has been changed. In fact, once you've received your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro, which will be valid for 10 years, even if you were to divorce you would still retain your permanent status.

Cheers,

Hi, So I have just return from the PF and noticed a couple of things:

1. I was given a sheet of paper with SINCRE written asking the top.  Around the middle, I see validity until 2024. Is this correct? Should it not be indefinite?

2. There is now stamp in my passport that is similar to below:
"NRE/DELEMIG/SR DPF/RJ
Registrado(a) como TEMPORARIO
sob o XXXXXX0-9 de acordo com
o Art 58 do Dec. 85.715/81
Rio de Janeiro, 26/10/2015
Permanência, 26/10/2024"

Is this correct?  I was expecting it to read: "Registrado(a) como PERMANENTE"

Should I go back and query this? Hope I will not run into problems later on down the line.

Thanks

Hello AfroPrince,

Valid until 2024 because you must renew your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro every 10 years until you reach 60, simple as that.

Regarding the stamp in your passport, that is only temporary. What is important is your Cédula. Since your permanency period is stated 10 years, then it appears that the Cédula will certainly be PERMANANTE.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello, I have been married for over a year with Brazilian and we divorced 2 weeks ago, can I apply for a citizenship or not? I want to become a Brazilian, please answer me

If you're already divorced and you haven't been granted "Permanência Definitiva com base em cônjuge brasileiro(a)" yet, you can't even apply for a Permanent Visa, much less citizenship.

If you've already been granted permanency, you likely won't lose your permanent resident status, but you would need to wait 4 years from the time you became a permanent resident in order to apply for Ordinary Naturalization since you've already divorced and no longer qualify for the reduced waiting period that is available to those who have a Brazilian spouse or child.

Either way, you would also need to meet ALL of the other requirements for citizenship, including having no previous criminal convictions either in Brazil or abroad, and passing a test of fluency in the Portuguese language.

Cheers,

Thanks yet again James, so looks like nothin to worry about.
Very best regards

I am on visit and I want to apply for permanent so please help me in short what I have to do what documents required and where I have to go for apply, what is the applying fee? I live in Curitiba!

Hi Ali

It would be helpful if you can advise in what basis you are wanting to apply for Permanancy?

Regards

I want to apply for work, To get job here or start my own business like phones shop etc.

*face Palm*

:dumbom:

``No Crime Certificate`` was replaced by ``Declaration`` for marriage too...

To apply for permanency you need to be Married to a Brazilian / Have a child with one / or Invest In a Business and employ Brazilians.  So in other words you must have a legitimate reason to live in Brazil.

Other ways  you can also get a Workers Visa to work in Brazil IF a company hires you to work here and sponsors your work Visa  (these are good for I believe for 2 years only and must be renewed) Or have a Student Visa one used for study in Brazil (these also are sponsored by the school also I believe for 2 years) In all there are 10 types of Visa see this website for details
http://masterclassbrazil.com/moving-to- … er-brazil/

You can not just come to Brazil on a Tourist Visa and convert it.  That said some have come here on Tourist Visas and just never left. As far as I know they are not very good at rounding up overstays on visitor visas.  But a word of warning if you get stopped at a traffic stop or any other kind of police search and your Visa is overstayed you will have 10 days to leave the country and they may take you to the airport to book your flight out ( at your expense) or even detain you till your flight leaves.  You will also pay a fine R$8.23 currently per day of overstay to a maximum of 100 days. 
One other thing  it will be impossible to legitimately work a job some companies may hire you but also may cheat on your pay since you have no legal right to work in Brazil, as you will have no work contract. you could get taken advantage of like not being paid the 13 month salary or a pay scale that is required by law.

alimasood1018 wrote:

I am on visit and I want to apply for permanent so please help me in short what I have to do what documents required and where I have to go for apply, what is the applying fee? I live in Curitiba!

There are only a few grounds on which you can base an application for permanency in Brazil, they are:

1.  Marriage to a Brazilian citizen or permanent resident.
2. Having a Brazilian born child, who is in your care and custody and/or financially dependent upon you.
3.  Stable relationship (that has existed for at least 1 year) with a Brazilian citizen or permanent resident.
4. Retired individual who can prove thhe ability to bring in a mointhly income of USD $2000 per month.
5.  Investor who is able to invest a minimum of R$150 thousand (USD $50 thousand) in a share of an existing Brazilian company, or to start up a company in Brazil.
6. Individual who has held a VITEM-V Work Visa for a minimum of 3 years, resided in Brazil during that time, and applies to transform their visa to Permanent.

Cheers,

James I didn't know about the VITEM-V being able to convert but you are the expert after all. The last time I checked both the workers Visa and student Visa were initially 2 years with renewal ( based on information I had from when I explored my options to live here) I decided on permanency based on Marriage. Maybe he has a significant other and might explore that option but a lot of planning needs to be done before hand to accomplish the task.

Thanks but if company give me a job letter then possible to change into work visa or no?

I think you dont change your current tourism visa into work visa here in Brazil. You have to go there to your country to apply for it. Search for clear information about it.

I think you will have to have a Contract to work from them not just a letter, It would have to be a firm job offer and a contract to pay you a salary.  Then after 3 years if you are still here with them you could theoretically convert it to a permanent Visa