Looking at moving to KL soon... need some guidance

Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a good day!

I am from India and have been marked for a transfer to KL in my company... they are still working on the offer package. Am married and have 2 kids (1 is 3 yrs old, the other is 4 months old).

So, I have a few questions specific to my case and would really appreciate any guidance from you folks on those.

If everything falls in to place correctly, I would be working in from our office in PJ. But since I would want to keep the option of going back to India sometime in the future, I am looking at GIIS in Brickfields as the school option for my eldest child... so I am thinking of finding an apartment close by to the school instead of office (within walking distance would be awesome) so that I can drop my kid in the morning and my wife can pick him up at noon. Would I be able to get good apartment options within a 1KM radius from the GIIS school? Would you recommend any other location? I would of course have to get a car... would it be a better option to purchase (new, old?) or lease one for at least the first couple of months?

This last question is a bit more tricky... I work in semiconductor industry, have a Master's in EE, 8 years of work experience. I won't be on an expat package... so, I am wondering what is the ballpark salary figure for a person with my credentials as stated above. I get a good package (salary+RSUs) to the tune of > Rs. 15LPA back here in India... and I will be in a senior engineering position in my KL job. So, I am thinking I can reasonably expect to get a package which is ~RM 15K/month. Please correct me if my impression is wrong. Not too worried about lifestyle costs since all we are vegetarians, non-drinkers and lead a simple, borderline-minimalistic lifestyle. But I don't want to skimp on any comfort for my kids.

Thank you for your time to read through this and thanks in advance for your help!

If you are happy with Rm15k then it all seems done and dusted. You can choose to rent a vehicle for about 1k per month or buy new or used. Local cars cost about RM55k new but you may not want to pay 40% downpayment to get a loan. Otherwise, you seem to have made most decisions about where to live and the COL in KL compared to your lifestyle. Property in Brickfields can be exceedingly expensive for a good standard e.g. Suasana, but there are other cheaper options. Personally my thoughs are why come to Malaysia and replicate your lifestyle back home and perhaps hardly notice the difference - but at a far higher cost? There are very mixed reviews about the school, but do they actually have classes for 3/4 year olds - or do they start tuition later on?

Hello Gravitas,

Thank you for the very quick response.

Well, let's just say that my job is moving out of India to KL. So I have a choice of moving with it or leaving it. And right now I am thinking to move with it since the experience is going to be better and diverse.

Forgive me, but I don't understand the question on why I am trying to replicate the lifestyle from back home. Could you please elaborate?

Actually, 15K was just my own lower end estimate based on couple of other sites I have visited, some simple currency conversions + need based additions. As I said, I am still waiting for my HR folks to come out with the package details. But I do want to get a more accurate projection if possible from the folks on the forum. Wouldn't want to sell myself short. :) So, any advice on the package to push for is also welcome!

As for the school, that was the option that stood out... but then again, I am open to good counsel. Better schools, even if not in the Indian curriculum, might be fine since my son is still very young. The problem with the housing area is this... my wife still new to driving a car and is not comfortable with city driving. So I wanted to mitigate that as a risk by finding a house close to the school.

If there is more 'recommended' school and residential area, please do let me know.

I would avoid GIIS it employs mostly expat Indian wives on very low salaries. You get what you pay for. You would be better home schooling at age of 3. Actually research points to formal education before 7 to be counter productive. Writing especially as it damages the formation of bones. But most educators ignore this research except for Germans.

What is good is lots of creative play and social contact. But most of all is lots of time with parents or at least one parent.

You can check out whether the type of job you would have is listed in the Kelly Salary Guide for 2014:

Kelly Salary Guide - KL

By doing everything around the Indian community in Malaysia it would basically be the same as if you were living back home. The whole point of travel and living overseas is to do something different and gain new experiences.

Hello Nemo,

Thank you for your input. I had also seen mixed reviews of the school... but apparently that is only one offering a CBSE curriculum, which I think would make it easier for my kid to get in to another school if we move back to India in some years.

I am not sure homeschooling would work for my eldest. He is super active and hates to stay indoors. My wife doesn't work... but with a 4 month old baby, she can only manage so much with both of them around at the same time, even with me helping out during the morning and evening. So, may be getting a person to help (with either the house or with the baby) be a good option? How cheap or expensive and reliable are they?

Right now my eldest son is in a Montessori environment, more like a small toddler group, with their very orderly and formatted approach to kid development... which he thoroughly enjoys. And they let my son develop on his own pace, based on whatever he gets interested in. So, may be I can put him in a good Montessori school then? Are there any in KL around not too far from the PJ area?

Gravitas,

Thanks for the clarification and the link! I had already looked at the report and my estimate was based on the numbers I saw there too.

Yes, I agree with you that the point of living overseas is to experience different cultures, values and environments. For me, the choice of area to stay was driven by the choice of school. So, it is not a deliberate attempt at staying with or around the Indian community. I am willing to explore, not stick to the CBSE curriculum requirement if there is another good, affordable (relatively) school that I can place my son in, then I won't have any second thoughts about settling in a different area.

Depending on where you work, I would suggest UCSI in Subang Jaya. It offers continuity as it caters for children from the age of 3 upwards.

USCI International School - Subang Jaya

It is much more peaceful living outside Brickfields and the City Centre. It is more green and leafy and suitable for children. Brickfields is a bit of a rough area that is slowly being modernised. It does have a nice cultural area, but apart from that it does have some well publicised social problems. Sunway is a nice area with good shopping and outdoor spaces. Driving would be easier in that area as well.

The cost of schooling at USCI is RM1500 per month and has very low deposits and charges (I have heard some nasty stories about unreturned deposits at GIIS).

This article may be of interest to you.

Comparison of costs and fees - International Schools in KL area

I assume your child speaks English?  If not then some coaching will be needed from whichever school you choose, as the teaching medium is English.

Hmm... this does look interesting. It is also located less than 10Kms from my work place in PJ... curriculum is IGCSE, which would be the same as if he continued in his current school.

I will certainly look in to this in more detail, like house options around the area, and conveniences. If I have any further questions... of course, I will get back on this forum!

Gravitas, thank you indeed for your help!

Gravitas do you work for UCSI? You know my opinion about this school!

A maid is rather expensive these days but cheaper than many school fees. I remember people getting maids for 400 rm a month! Wasn't that long ago. Now 1,600 rm minimum for a cleaner.

If your child is a little hyper then a good international school is better. Indian education system is very bad I have to say that. Why not get a better education for your child? Something that will challenge them to think and use their brain. Learn to work cooperatively? Give your child a head start in the world with a good schooling experience. Rather than sitting in rows and being yelled at for daring to think.

Most of the international schools are simply not value for money especially at five years of age. Nemo, you down every school but your own. USCI offers a different approach and I know Brits that send children there and are very happy indeed because it teaches world citizenship and team work. So academic standards are based on a broader approach and kids are not failures already at a young age as they are not top of the class.