Mobifone SimCard : How does it work ?

Hello to all,

I arrived in Hô Chi Minh City a few days ago and I bought a Mobifone SimCard (a friend told me it had the best network in Vietnam).
I paid 90 000 VND for it and it works.

My friend told me that in order to have internet I should send "DK MIU" to the number "999". I tried 3G before sending the text and it worked but my friend told me I was gonna get charged a lot more if I didn't send this message so I did. I still have internet but I have no clue on how much it costs.

I guess my SimCard already had some communications included on it.

The person that sold me this SimCard told me I should call the number "*101# in order to know how much time I have got left. But when I do that I get a message with numbers and captitals that don't mean anything to me.

For instance :
"MobiQ. TKC:1381 d,
09/11/2014.
KM3 5000 d.
KM1 16914 d.
KMDK2 29520 d, 22/09/2014.
TK KM du tru: 180000d, HSD:
21/03/2015"

So my questions :
-what does the previous message mean ?
-did I get ripped off paying 90 000 VND ?
-do I have to buy a special refill for internet ?
-I have seen people on this blog advising to send *100* to get a refill, how is the payment done ?
-Finally, I did go on the Mobifone website to try and understand on my own but I couldn't figure out which "plan" I have subscribed to, but I couldn't understand... What would be my "plan" ?

Thank you for your help :)

E.Théo wrote:

For instance :
"MobiQ. TKC:1381 d,
09/11/2014.
KM3 5000 d.
KM1 16914 d.
KMDK2 29520 d, 22/09/2014.
TK KM du tru: 180000d, HSD:
21/03/2015"

So my questions :
-what does the previous message mean ?

1. "TKC" = "tài khoản chính" (main account): you can use this money to register some services, 3G, call to other network (Viettel, Vina,..).

2. "09/11/2014": expired date.

3. "KM1" = "Khuyến mại 1" = Promotional Account 1: is used for on-net calls, messages (only for Mobile network), data, MMS and other services (I dont know this!).

4. "KM2" = "Khuyến mại 2" = Promotional Account 2: is used for VNPT on-net calls, messages  (Mobifone, Vinaphone), data, MMS and other services.

5. "KM3" = "Khuyến mại 3" = Promotional Account 3: is used inter-network calls, messages (Mobilefone, Vinaphone, Viettel...), data, MMS and other services.

6. "KMDK" = "Khuyến mại định kỳ": Periodic Account Promotion 1 (KMDK1), Periodic account promotion 2 (KMDK2) and periodic account promotion 3 (KMDK3) use similar KM1, KM2 and KM3, but it has expired date.

(Source: Internet)

About 3G: you registered 3G with MIU, its unlimited package, you can use Internet in 30 days, but you only have 600MB with 3G speed.

Hi,

1." MIU" service is a 3G internet which costs 70 000d/month.

2. How to top up your phone?

There are some kinds of Mobicard 10 000d, 20 000d, 50 000d, 100 000d, 200 000d, 500 000d
Type *100*(card numbers)#
http://phimhd.vn/img/viettel300.jpg

If you use much(over 200 000d), register your phone as a fix - paid number. Around the beginning of the month or the end of the month, mobifone usually has big promotion 50%. You need to go to mobifone center (I usually go to Cao Thang-Nguyen dinh chieu mobifone center) to register English message from mobifone so you will receive those information easily

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

1." MIU" service is a 3G internet which costs 70 000d/month.

2. How to top up your phone?

There are some kinds of Mobicard 10 000d, 20 000d, 50 000d, 100 000d, 200 000d, 500 000d
Type *100*(card numbers)#
http://phimhd.vn/img/viettel300.jpg

If you use much(over 200 000d), register your phone as a fix - paid number. Around the beginning of the month or the end of the month, mobifone usually has big promotion 50%(iF YOU add 500 000d, you will have 750 000d). You need to go to mobifone center (I usually go to Cao Thang-Nguyen dinh chieu mobifone center) to register English message from mobifone so you will receive those information easily

3. I dont know what KM1.. just know TKC. TKC is your real money left.

Regards

Read: [ www.mobifone.com.vn/portal1/en/services … ternet.jsp ]

Mobiphone is a subsidiary of Vinaphone, they share network facilities (towers and links).

The big difference is that Vinaphone is run by Neanderthals who reflect typical telco thinking. Mobiphone is run by sharp marketers and is focussed on the youth market needs.

If you have the technology, you can change the SIM settings and get different services, etc.
My employer has a managed telephone system with many bells and whistles. Call regular employees after 17.00H and you are redirected from their personal smartphones, etc.

Other cellco features are activated by prefix codes which might be equipment or billing options. For example, the number people use to send me SMS on my trusty Mitsubishi Trium Mars (circa 2000) is not that on my cell. These codes also control whether you use 2G, 3G or 4G transmission.

Also, in some remote locations, 'landlines' are actually connected to cell networks and charged at different, lower, rates.

VietNam is actually years ahead in technology compared to many countries in the West, including the USA.

hi Jaitch,

nice post you got there, just wondering, if how can i acquire the 4G network, please advice.

thanks

trick03 wrote:

how can i acquire the 4G network, please advice.

Visit Mobi - they can tailor services offered.

Hi Jaitch,  can I ask you a question?

Have you tried to transfer money from mobile to mobile? I follow mobifone website and my number has been used over 1 year but I havent been successful to transfer money.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Have you tried to transfer money from mobile to mobile?

I don't use Mobi for calling - ask Mobi on Nguyen Du, Quan 1 (behind the Main Post Office).

Furthermore, I haven't put money in my Vina account for over 5 years, the last being VND100,000. They have a great plan which they don't publicise too much!

You can also direct topup or buy phone prepaid card with this website esimcard.net , so easy.

Hi Jaitch

I tried quite a bit to find about this Vina Plan which you mention that they dont publicise much  at their store behind Post office but no one has a clue. Can you pls share some more info on this Plan

janin wrote:

Hi Jaitch

I tried quite a bit to find about this Vina Plan which you mention that they dont publicise much  at their store behind Post office but no one has a clue. Can you pls share some more info on this Plan

Jaitch has been permanently banned from this forum.

I found this post on Google. I am researching phone plans that intend to visit Europe and Canada in 2016.

Can understand very well how the simcard works. I was looking for it for a long time and this is the best content I found.

But beyond SIMcard, roaming lease is good business? Does anyone know how it works?

I am new to the forum and I have many doubts and think users here can help me.

I'm from Brazil. If my English is not good, sorry.

In 2016 I intend to travel to Canada to visit a friend who works in the country. I'm worried about international roaming. For my research, I found that if I use carriers of my country - Brazil - to Canada, talk to my relatives would be very expensive.

A solution that told me to be good is to use the cell phone rental with temporary mobile communication plans only on days I'll be in Canada.

I did some research and found in Brazil presscell.com.br. But I have doubts and would like to find company specializing in roaming rentals also in Canada, like this Brazilian company.

I wonder if anyone knows if it is advantageous that kind of service and if anyone knows similar company in Canada for me to see.

Already thank anyone who can help.

For International calls if your relatives have a computer or a smartphone and you also have then you can use viber or skype free call system once you have a local sim that allows you to connect to wifi. you should be able to get free wifi in your hotel, cofee shop or fast food restaurant.  If yor relatives only have a fixed line phone you can buy call time very cheaply from both skype and viber. I use the free and chaep calls to phone from Asia to America, Australia and Europe