Transforming rural economies in the emerging markets

Dear expats

I probably should have introduced myself 2 years ago when i first moved to Ghana, however better late than never. My name is Mar, i am 54, single and i originate from England. I left England when i was 18 on a one way Freddy Laker ticket to NYC and £50. I spent 20 years in the USA becoming a successful entrepreneur in the clothing, restuarant, barter, counter trade and software industries, of which the latter i built into a large NY Stock exchange company.

I returned to the UK in 2001 for family reasons and launched D1 Oils later that year, which became the first company to produce biodiesel from non edible vegetable oils. I traveled the globe to find the most cost effective non edible vegetable oil and by 2002 we selected Jatropha. By 2005 the company was public and considering to import food grade vegetable oils instead of breeding better strains of Jatropha, so i left. i then spent 3 years in India, where i opened my own biotechnology lab and began looking at other alternative energy fuels and conversion technologies By 2008 i had identified a strain of bamboo, grass and a fast growing species of tree that were suitable for low cost production of energy using gasification (off grid) technology. in 2009 i launched Clenergen on the stock market and was operational in several companies including the Philippines and Guyana we did not succeed in raising finance for our projects, so in 2012 i moved to Ghana in partnership with a private German equity fund.

Over the past 2 years i implemented scientific trials on a mining site using 4 species of bamboo and two grasses in order to prove yield and economic viability of energy crops in order to generate electricity directly for end users or communities i imported a strain of bamboo produced from tissue culture which are all identical and plant 450 per acre I drove 21,000 km in Ghana to source suitable land for large scale cultivation during which i stayed at over 140 different hotel rooms during the past 2 years. i believe due to problems finding food in the communities, i am now eaten my 230th Tilapia fish. Certainly there has been many adventures both past and present.

i look forward to meeting other ex pats during the next stage of my work in Ghana which will involve less travel, a central location/home and a better selection of food!

Anyway, this is an introduction and look forward to hearing from other expats

Mark

Thank you for such a fascinating introduction!

I am an American and I am currently preparing to move to Accra, Ghana by the end of this year.

Dear Mr. Mark,

Good Afternoon.

Excellent article on your experience.

Would like you to tell me your email address so that I can keep in touch with you. Mine is : [email protected]. Thanks. Regards, M. Narayanan

Nice one Mark, wish you the best. Will try catching up with you soon as I arrive in Ghana.

Quite compelling adventure, yet admirable and tantalizing!

tank you for that wonderful workdone. there is still more rooms for improvement and i hope to be intourch with you.

wow you have done excellently well

Hello , names Mike from Oxford England moving out to Ghana  beginning September,  any advice
would be greatly appreciated. .......

It is always better if you ask specific questions so that you can get the advice you need.
Enjoy your stay in Ghana

Looking for English speaking business opportunities  Regards Mike

Not sure what you mean by that. You will probably have explore business opportunities when you are here. One thing you will have to make sure of is that you have the correct type of residents permit. If you are hoping to get one through your wife then you can't work here. You may have to get a business visa of some type

hello, am mordecai touch in base with me on your arrival. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

hello Mike touch in base on your arrivals. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Mark,

Please are you still in Ghana on your projects?

Michael