Building in Roatan

Hi we are beginning a building project near West End Roatan, I was wondering if anyone else has built on the island who may be able to offer some advice, ideas, encouragement.

Sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet.  I've had a couple of places built on the island, so let me know any specific questions.  And I have a great guy that does plumbing and tiling work (also does really great pools)- his name is Osman.  If you're considering a pool, you can check out mine on my hostel website, www.roatanbackpackers.com 
You're welcome to send me a private message if you need any advice or recommendations.
Mel

I don't live on Roatan but... I'm a realist and this place looks promising. Great luck for the developers and the dreams. Clients will be part of the family purchasing there. If budget is lower... Look LCBC.

Thank you are still plugging away working with builders. We are having some difficulties getting electric to the site and are considering alternative power do you have and experience with those companies in the island.

Not building right now.  Were you thinking of buying a generator just to use during construction, or you want a permanent alternative energy source? I have solar energy that I got through Fuentes de Energia, but I still have RECO to switch to when there's not enough sun.

It is going to cost us between $10 and $20 thousand to get RECO to our site. When we purchased the land we had an electric box on site and thought it would be and easy project. We never got final answers on electric because our Realtor became very ill right in the middle of the process. We know we wanted the property so we went ahead. We have discovered our neighbor obtained permission to use the box from the previous owner. We also discovered the transformer is full and would need to be replaced with a bigger one.  We are striving for an exo-lodge type set up and will want to be off the grid in the future so we have decided to just start out that way.

It took many months to get my solar energy components to the island.  You're going to need a back-up generator anyway I think, so you may as well buy one now to use for your building, and get your solar (or wind, whatever you'll be using) stuff ordered.  I'd ask whoever you're ordering through about what generator to get, so that it'll all work well together in the end, and might want to ask some questions related to the building too, as they might have suggestions on the roof angle, direction etc, to maximize exposure once you have your panels.  They may also have advice on wiring, fixtures, that will be the most energy efficient.  My contact is Kevin, he's really great.  His email is [email protected]

We are communicating with Roatan Renewables for alternative energy and we have been working with Robbie Reinman as a builder we like they work he did at Palmento Bay. Everything is moving slower than we hoped and costing more than projected so we are needing to get creative with our financing. I am hoping all the projected costs they post all over tihe internet are not a lie just to get people to buy there. We love the island and have plans to offer a Lodge with features not offered yet on the island . WE also hope to incorporate those ideas into ways to help the people on the island . We have fallen in love with the place and its people and cant wait to get there on a more permanent basis.