How to keep dogs and cats from getting poisoned by the DR frogs

We are moving to a house we bought in Casa Linda Sosua and will be bringing 3 cats and a dog. I have seen and been warned about the poisonous frogs and the local pets seem to know to stay away but what about gringo pets?  This makes me very nervous, are there any ways to keep these frogs away. I actually like frogs but it would kill me if my pets died from contacting one. Any help out there I would be grateful.

Hi Robyn  interesting question. I have not ever heard of this.  My guess is that the dogs instinctively know to stay away by smell.   But, I will ask someone I know who is a vet!  Lets see what she says.

Thanks Planner I know they offer a kit to help pet stay alive till u can get them to a vet. Its suppose to be the slime that is poisonous and they can get it if a water bowl is outside and a frog swims in it i am told. I googled it and they are pretty prevalent here. Anything u find out would be grateful as well as any other little parasites etc. i should know of. Thanks

you are quite welcome. I have a group of friends on the north coast battling some (^&#)$(&#  who are poisoning dogs left right and center on the beach areas.  It is pretty horrifying.  So  poison kits are readily available. A  good vet in Sosua is Dr. Bob apparently in case anything happens and he sells the kits too.

Robyn  welcome to the neighborhood (we live up the road from you a bit)

Yes go see DR Bob TOMORROW and get a poison kit from him.  It is a shot you give you dog and a pill at the same time.  He will also tell you all the symptoms to look for.  It is a bit of a rare thing but does happen.  Our Rottie "got one" last year and the treatment worked great.  No side effects at all.

If you see a frog in your yard then let one of the gardeners know and he will take care of it.

Again welcome and keep the questions coming.

Bob K

Thanks Bob for the info!!

You are welcome. I know how we all feel about our kids (pets)

Bob K

You got that right Bob......

Thanks guys but we are not there full time yet we were down getting house together in August and I was made aware of it. Do most of the animals know which ones are poisonous and what about the cats ? same shot etc. As soon as we sell or rent out in Texas I will be there with 3 cats and a dog.Thanks

Not sure the animals know.  Our Rottie is a Dominican dog and he still got into trouble.  Not sure about cats.

Bob K

Hi,
I can understand your concerns from what you have been told but you need to have no fear of the frogs or lizards - the only poisonous creature is the very large Cane toad and you can read about them here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toad

They have a much 'bumpier' skin than other toads and frogs and are usually very large and, fortunately, not common.  It is a fact that some dogs, whether local or gringo, have been known to be poisoned by them and some have not survived due to the poison which is exuded from their skin.  I would suggest that, after you arrive and move into your home in Casa Linda, that you visit the local vet, Dr. Bob who is located just nearby to where you will be living (his clinic is next door to the Coastal Filling Station along the main road and he has a big sign). There you can purchase a 'poison kit' - I have 9 dogs so always keep some in my fridge just in case.  Although the kit will not result in a cure, it does give extra time to get an animal to the vet for any necessary treatment.

I hope this helps,

Shirley

Thanks Shirley for the excellent info!!!!

Shirley welcome to the board.  I know you have a wealth of information and we look forward to your participation.  A much friendlier board that DR1

Bob K

I second the welcome!!!!   Shirley we run a pretty friendly helpful group.  Thanks for joining us!!!!

I can second everything that was said here.  Dr. Bob is AMAZING!  We live in Jarabacoa which is a few hours away but had several issues with our 8 dogs and I called or emailed Dr. Bob and he knew exactly what to do and all resulted in fully recovered fur babies.  He is so good in fact that we will be making the drive to him likely in the next month or so to have all of our babies (even the 3 cats ) checked out for routine exams and a few spay/neuters.  As for the cats, make sure they are fully vaccinated and that they are on flea and tick preventatives and the dogs are on that and some sort of heartworm medication as well.  I would make sure the cats vaccinations cover them if they should eat any sort of mouse or rat.  You never know so an ounce of prevention is worth a million bucks around here.  I wish you luck and I can tell you this forum is THE BEST!  I have gotten tons of information and advice from Bob K and Planner to help make my transition here much smoother and less stressful!

Like I said we have used Dr Bob for years.

Bob K

Glad I found this blog!  I have been researching making the international move due to the industry I am in ( apparel manufacturing) and my main concern is bringing my 2 dogs!  I have a healthy 11 year old lab and a 2 year old pek,. I have been to the DR many times but been a few years.  I will chose the area based on the safety for my dogs.(PP/Sasua area)  Gated community? where I can walk them early morning or late afternoon.  My lab loves to run the beach, but concerned for strays attacking him.  I would really appreciate suggestions!!  Dog friendly places to live and a good expat life  :)

Maggie welcome to the forum.  There are lots of communities here on the north coast that have folks with dogs.  We actually have two a 15 pound Havanese (the barker and boss) and a 140 pound Rottie (the bitter).  We have a large yard  so they have plenty of place to run.

For walking your dogs most communities are fine for walking your dog on a leash. 

We used to take the little on for runs on the beach in Cabarete all the time and the beach dogs got along fine with him. Technically dogs are not allowed on the beach but that law like many here is not enforced at all.

Remember you will not be able to bring your dogs during the hot months of the summer as airlines have restrictions on the temps at the sending and receiving airport.

Hope this helps and again welcome

Bob K

Where is Dr Bob located? Sosua o cabarete?, I want to be sure that I am close to him when we move, thank you for all this information!!!!, I am so glad that I found this Blog

Dr.  Bob is in Sosua honey.

He is closer to on the main highway (sosau-cabarete highway) Sosua down the side street next to the Costal station.

Bob K

Where can I get these frogs????

Now that is funny in  a way.

Bob K