Jobs in Gothenburg for English Speakers

Iam sorry Harmonie..I was asking about sweden. I will have a marriage and I was wondering if is it bad eduacation or something like that assist to the marriage with pants.Is  a formal suit but my problem is my pants ..haha..will be there any problem if i wear pants? how is the the wedding culture in sweden? there is no problem if I wear color like red and black? I ask this because I don`t want to be rude or give a bad impression.
please I need some help..
Thanks.!

Hello promarce, why don't you start a new thread in the forum Gothenburg with all your questions?
You are :offtopic: here.;)

Thanks,
Harmonie.

Hi all,
IŽm a Brit, been in the Göteborg area for...close to 9 years now! Came here as a naive 23 year old (which I think worked in my favour) and now settled in Mölnlycke with a house and family.

Just wanted to wish you all luck, I do think itŽs a hard country to move to, but with patience and persistence youŽll eventually get a break.

All the best
Stuart

esc747 wrote:

Hi all,
IŽm a Brit, been in the Göteborg area for...close to 9 years now! Came here as a naive 23 year old (which I think worked in my favour) and now settled in Mölnlycke with a house and family.

Just wanted to wish you all luck, I do think itŽs a hard country to move to, but with patience and persistence youŽll eventually get a break.

All the best
Stuart

You are right Stuart. If you are persistence in this country you will break through. I had it difficult to get a job when I moved here from Tanzania (Africa) but now through patience and persistence I'm working as Chief accountant.

I encourage everyone to try to look for something they deserve and they will get it.

Hi there!
Many people here blame on Arbetsförmedlingen. I agree, this institution is out of this space and, in most cases, do not meet the real needs of people looking for ANY job.
However, if you are quite patient, have a quite a good form and do not give up to depression (it is very hard  time here in Sweden for unemployed foreigners), you can make some 'deals' with this office. Once you register there, you can choose a mentor or so called jobcoach. Jobcoaches work for offices independent of AFM and you have a chance to pick the best ones, like from Manpower or Lernia for example. Naturally, everything depends on the branch that you represent. While you pick a coach think about it, otherwise you miss the point. Many companies carry out recruiting processes so you ma kill two birds at once if you are lucky.

And... try to find a 'praktik'. AFM will give you some support, but you must apply for training by yourself. Usually, numerous companies are very opend for .... free labour force, but you get some experience, get used to work condition and atmosphere here in Sweden and it makes your CV look better. Soemtimes, the company that you have practised at may offer you a job.

I have been going throgh up and downs all the time, but once I practiced a little in a serious international concern, I find it a bit easier now when I look for a serious employement.

Even though I speak very good Swedish for being a foreigner and in such a short period (I took only two final classes SAS A and SAS B since I learned some Swedish on my own before that) - I find it enormously hard to find a job. I loose my motivation but make some efforts to get back on track.

Personally, as a foreigner, I would gladly support other foreigners and expats here in Sweden and I would rather buy some services or take some lessons in horseriding or painting from somebody who is new her and is about to establish some kind of business. And, to be honest, this is a long way to go ;). What I earn on this? Your smile, my satisfaction and hope that one day I will also find an energy to start something on my own... if I don't get a job corresponding whith my professional profile.

I want to work in Gothenburg Sweden. I can speak swedish but I am comfortable in english. So I waant to search a job where I can speak english. I have experience in administrative job. So if anybosy can help me to find out a job.

Hello ! First wanna welcome you on your eventual moved to Sweden. I have been here 13 years. If you move here, I suggest going into the unemployment like ... the next day and getting yourself registered there !! ŽDo not wait. Then go to SFI which is the free school for Swedish language for foreigners. These are the two best tips. Plus get a CV and work history in order for the unemployment. Hope this helps and it will really save you you some time and headaches.

Rita

@ Rita: Why don't you start a new discussion on the Sweden forum and share all your information and experience for better visibility as this thread is quite old (2010)? :)

Monika E L wrote:

Hey,
I've been actively job seeking too, but I'm hitting a wall with employers all saying that "you're great, but you don't speak swedish, sorry" - its frustrating.

Unfortunately mastering the Swedish language doesn't help either. You are just not Swedish (and sometimes is not eve enough to be Swedish on papers).

I couldn't agree more !

Once you get out there, I feel like Swedish people are really accepting and helpful :) My friend just got a job after 3 years of being here and everyone is helping her out! They want to practice their English just as much as she wants to practice her Swedish =)

I myself have been here for just over 2 years now. After clearing both SFI and SAS I simply decided to go my own route and buy my own business. Yes, my Swedish differs from day to day, just like any other secondary language. Some of my customers spoil me and switch to English, and sometimes I simply ask them if what I said was correct. I tell them that I've been in the country for two years, and they usually compliment the fact that I've learned so much Swedish in such a short time.

Long story short, being part of society helps a lot! If anything, I feel like people in general just appreciate the fact that you've learned the language to communicate with them. I know that I really appreciate it when someone has learned English. Even if someone is having a hard time with English, we don't hear their mistakes per sé, we hear what they're trying to communicate, and I feel that Swedes are the same way! They don't hear our mistakes, they just hear and appreciate our communication.

Don't get me wrong, I was incredibly jaded when I first came here. I had never felt like more of an alien in my whole life. As an independent person, not having a job really brought me down. Just stay persistent. To everyone in this thread: Keep going. Keep your heads up. Choose the path that you want to take and head straight for it!

Jenna

jennaiwanchuk wrote:

Once you get out there, I feel like Swedish people are really accepting and helpful :) My friend just got a job after 3 years of being here.....I myself have been here for just over 2 years now I simply decided to go my own route and buy my own business.Jenna

That's the point: the thread started: Jobs in Gothenburg

3 years to find a job
2 years and start your own business..
Not exactly the land of job opportunities....  :(

Hi everyone just new to gothenburg,Sweden and I'm seeking any job like housekeeping,or any open job can be done in English

Jenna ar you hiring for ur new business
Do you know any agency help people get job in gothenburg,Sweden more in English like housekeeping job ,cleaning to the hotel etc...

Hey titi1,

Unfortunately I cannot hire anyone at the moment seeing as I just took over the business this year and I need to budget the finances.

If you happen to know anyone within the hotel industry, or have any friends etc, that would be the best way. I met one girl through SFI who got a job in a hotel doing cleaning services within her first year here and I was super jealous actually!

Just keep branching out as much as possible. It may seem impossible at first, but believe me when I say that it does get better ^^

-Jenna

Hi jenna please i need ur email
Mine:[email protected]
Let's  go by email
Thanks

please i will like work i n sweden as a tiler and will like  to share my experience or to know more about it.thank

hi i feel to join you in sweden as working partner i highly solisit your usually cooperation

Hi all, I'm a 23 year old Irish woman moving to Gothenburg in January 2015 and am desperately hoping to get a job straight away. I am TEFL certified so would love to teach English in any sort of domain, I also have experience in hospitality and am qualified as a skin therapist. Does any one out there have any advice or help they can give me? I know contacts are the bet way to go but don't have any at such.. I'm learning Swedish at the moment but it's a long road haha..

There is an international school here in Gbg although to my knowledge TEFL is not accepted here. One would then need a degree of English Education (bachelor's in English, then a couple years in the school of education). It might not hurt to try to contact them in any case to see if they need a TA or anything. It also helps to possibly speak several languages. Have you got your personal number?

I 'am looking for work, but I find it very difficult to find a job here in Sweden. can any one help?

Jennaiwanchuk what is accepted for teaching English?

You need a university education to teach English. First a 4-year bachelor's degree, then one usually goes into the School/Faculty of Education at one's university for 2 more years to become a certified teacher. The problem here is that they tend not to take foreign education seriously, so you would likely have to do complementary studies when you get here.

Hej fellow expats!

I've been living in Gothenburg for around 7 weeks and have been coming to terms with very similar problems to everyone else on here. I moved here for love after leaving the Royal Navy in the UK.

I've currently got two part time jobs which I enjoy working at a great deal but alas the hours are infrequent to say the least and both are 0 hour contracts. I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas, e.g. how easy is it to get a job Labouring, scaffolding etc in Gothenburg?

I have a temporary personal number and will be going to the arbetsförmedlingen tomorrow to try and turn this into the real thing!

If there is anything I can help anyone else with (although my knowledge is very limited) I'd be more than happy to chat!

Thank you all

Hi Liam,

I am in a similar situation to yourself, I moved over here from Ireland in August. So far I'm having a lot of trouble getting a swedis personal number... I have the temporary number and neither Ireland or Sweden seem to be able to help me with giving me an actual personal number, unless i have a full time job with a contract etc... Have you been through similar channels so far?

Hi! I looking for maintenance job in Sweden. I have worked in Sweden on a farm near Gothenburg. I speak english. I can do metal works, building works , wood works, electrical works, painting works.

can you work in a food truck

Is food truck a legally registered business entity and pays its taxes? If yes then you can, if no you can't.

Hej! I guess I can offer you a job. Let me know if you are interested. 😊

Petra2704 wrote:

Hej! I guess I can offer you a job. Let me know if you are interested. 😊

Who are you responding to?

Sorry, I noticed after this is old post. I am new on this page. 😂

I hear you.  What business did you start?

I am noticing that "indirect no" also. It's frustrating. I lived in Germany for some time (and am about half-German), and I truly do not remember that indirect no happening repeatedly there.
I so dislike this passive-aggressive way some hand out their "No"s.
Be honest. You are discriminating, or lazy, etc, etc and so on - but don't make excuses invented as legitimate answers.
I cannot respect this way of communicating and will continue to stick to my way of of being direct and honest as much as possible, and hopefully this will encourage responses in kind.

Hello all,
I am moving to Gothenburg at the end of decembere and will be looking for work. I am willing to do anything be it cleaning, bar work, etc but my Swedish is very limited at the moment so being realistic I am willing to do ANYTHING!

Currently teaching myself Swedish but need to be earning whilst I am doing this. Have applied for a few jobs so far but not having much luck! sad.png

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Tack så mycket! big_smile.png

Stu
-@StuD

Hello Kasibante,

Welcome to expat.com!

Do you have anything to add to this discussion?

Yoginee

Expat.com team