Help needed - accomodation problems

Hi everyone,

So I would require some help, I am in a horrible situation. I rented an appartment in Gzira from Monday this week, payed the deposit + 1 month in advance + half month agency fee. Now to the problem, NOTHING in the appartment is working! It is simply unreal! Eerything is broken, everything _will_ eventually be fixed, and I am here with family joining me next week and can't figure out anything to do.

Does anyone know of any Maltese law or regulation that lets you get your money back to find a new place? It has only been 6 days so far. I NEED to find a new place, and I have to do it rather quickly, this is not anywhere anyone can live for a longer time, let alone a family with kids.

Any advice appreciated.

I found this section on a website:

" Early termination by landlord or tenant is always possible if there has been a serious breach of express or implied conditions of the lease, whether this is contractually stated, or not."

What do you think, is dripping cold water, no warm water AT ALL, disfunctional washing mashine, broken bed, missing appliances, etc a reason to break a contract? I am pretty sure it is.

i would have said so - but did you examine or view the property before taking it - was there explicit intention fromthe owner to rectify the problems prior to occupation?

was it though a respectable agent  - go to him and involve him all the way.

expect a fight to get your deposit and advance rent back!!!!

Hi Rawbiz,

from your post there was an agent involved in the renting. That is where to start with your complaints but don't expect your money back anytime soon. It is probably not worth taking the issue to the small complaints court as that takes time and you would probably loose the case against a Maltese landlord.

From your previous post your last short rental was a mess too ! You ( and all other folks moving to Malta) should really take a serious look at the place you are considering to rent and not sign a contract if you have not double checked everything in the appartment.

I agree with toon that it will be difficult to get your money back.

Which agency did you involve in the rental process? That is where to start.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Rawbiz,

from your post there was an agent involved in the renting. That is where to start with your complaints but don't expect your money back anytime soon. It is probably not worth taking the issue to the small complaints court as that takes time and you would probably loose the case against a Maltese landlord.

From your previous post your last short rental was a mess too ! You ( and all other folks moving to Malta) should really take a serious look at the place you are considering to rent and not sign a contract if you have not double checked everything in the appartment.

I agree with toon that it will be difficult to get your money back.

Which agency did you involve in the rental process? That is where to start.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky,

My first one, the short let, was pretty much OK - despite the fact that it was a bit far off and on the 3rd floor with no lift. It was only for a few days so it was OK, and I was more bothered by the people there than the actual place.

I have contacted both the agent and the landlord, the landlord said she will fix a few of the stuff on Tuesday or Wednesday. I did a quite good check I think, and we didnt notice any major issues when we first looked. Turning the shower on and off didnt really occur to me.

As it is now we are looking to get everything fixed ASAP, and then look for a big new appartment in January.

Cheers,

Rawbiz, I have PM'd you something which may help you. Check it out

Thanks redmik, still looking for options.

The story so far is that the pump is still being repaired, hopefully it will be finished tomorrow and she can install it on Thursday. Today when I got home and nothing had changed I got really upset and told her that this was not what I expected and if I knew the situation would be this bad I would never have taken it in the first place. Also wanted 1 week cash back considering the situation I am in, but obviously she refused. Told her that makes me really disappointed.

So my new plan is that IF she gets all small shit fixed this week then I will stay until MAX january, if she is unable to fix everything then I will move out by the end of the week. I am simply unabe to live in a not-fully-functional appartment with 2 small kids, not working.

my opinion for what its worth  - ship out now.

i would agree with go out now option, but consider that he payed an agent + deposit + rent, so even if he got property for 500 (more likely 600 ;) ) he is in 1250 e

it is hard to walk away from that amount of money

I would def. press agent hard, even go to the superiors if he doesn't help me enough

Duxx wrote:

i would agree with go out now option, but consider that he payed an agent + deposit + rent, so even if he got property for 500 (more likely 600 ;) ) he is in 1250 e

it is hard to walk away from that amount of money

I would def. press agent hard, even go to the superiors if he doesn't help me enough

Yea, 550 for rent + 150 electricity and water for first month (which sounds a LOT) + 550 deposit + 325 agency fee. So if I go out now I lose quite a lot :S

press your agent put pressure ont he landlord then....

either way you lose money but in the meantime if you stay you are putting up with a crap accommodation and payng for the pleasire of it.... when you could be elsewhere enjoing a good accommodation  - one of lifes hard lessons here in malta.

you can always report to MaltaTourismAuthority MTA

maybe get in touch with the estate agents federation to put pressure inthe agent involved....or the MCCAA consumer protection dept.

not that i would hold my breath  - but one lives in hope that one day they will find some teeth