My blog about moving to PR

Hey all!

My family moved to Mayaguez just last week and I've been keeping a blog about the move. If you;re interested, the url is:

PolarRico.com

Lemme know if you find it interesting, and please, if you're on the west side of the island please contact me.  We'd love to get together for dinner/coffee/beach, whatever! :)

Hello, Laura and welcome to the forum!  I just read your entire blog and loved it :)  Thank you, for including the link.  My husband and I are retired and looking to spend long term in Rincon area.  We are coming in February for another visit (17 days)  Maybe we could get together for the beach or something.  I would love for you to share more of how you are transitioning and what good/bad things you are experiencing.  Bless!

Actually, we don't live too far from Madison.  Machesney Park, just a bit north of Rockford...small world  :top:

Sure, send me a message in Jan or Feb :)

Thanks Laura, I looked up your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We moved to Quebradilla in June of this year from New York.  We love it here.  There is me, my husband and my 18 year old grandson.  We are retired and originally planned to move to the Luquillo area but then our grandson came to live with us so we changed plans.

We originally looked on the east coast but ended up here. It is a cute little town and we have become accustomed to it.  My husband had been at the old Ramey AFB back in 1969 and we lived in Aguadilla. So this is so coincidental that we are once back in this area. 

Welcome to Puerto Rico. I will continue to enjoy your blog.

I think you are so brave to take this on with two little ones in tow, kudos to you and hubby!  Not sure if I could handle it, haha.  It sounds like you guys are doing fantastic.

Did you guys ship anything freight over here and if you did how did that go?

We shipped 52 boxes with USPS and 2 with UPS. Yes it cost a lot but probably less than an actually shipping company.  We moved into a mostly furnished home so we didn't ship over any furniture.  It was mostly kitchen items, kids toys and our clothes.

Also, my parents flew over with us, and all together we had 12 pieces of luggage!

Laura,  I now wish that we had done that. We are still waiting for our stuff and it has been over 2 months, where we were told it would be 4-6 weeks, ha ha the laugh is on us.

After this is all over, I plan on posting about experiences and what not to do. If I didn't say it before, WELCOME TO PUERTO RICO.

Who did you use for a mover? We used Monti and our stuff got from Virginia to PR in 4 weeks.

Tonie, I love that you are from NY and love Puerto Rico. I have chosen Aguadilla for my family, which consists of my partner, my 7yo, my mother and father-in-law (who are NY'ers) and myself. We have moved around a lot in the last 8 years trying to find "that place" and being that I am the adventurous type who has always wanted to move off the mainland, I chose Puerto Rico. My partner is puerto rican but never wanted to go to puerto rico but has now started opening up to the idea. My in-laws have both been and testify to the beauty. I think Aguadilla is the perfect size city and I have read that the majority of the west coast is more laid back and operate on "island time", which I love. Thank you for your contributions on the blog, as it gives me an idea about the area and also a point of view from the retired New Yorkers, just like my in-laws. Mom and I will be visiting in March and I am praying that it is all I want it to be and we can make the move in August. Thanks again!

Welcome, Wingsofadventure!  Glad to have you on the forum~

Thanks Wings of adventure. I am glad that my postings have been useful. I recently added what a typical day for us, if you have a chance read it. It will give you some insight and make you laugh also.

We are still getting used to not having stuff here like Diners, good
bagels and a few other things. but for the most part, we have settled into life here in Quebradilla.  Aguadilla has come a long way since we lived there in 1969-1970.  Once we get a car which hopefully will be soon, we plan on getting to know the area again and going to Isabela and Rincon which we didn't do before.  Back then, there was the motorcoach that we would take from Mayaguez  to San German, where my husband's family lives. Unfortunately it does run any more.

Anyway, once you come over and explore, you will see that Puerto Rico is much more than the touristy places in San Juan and appreciate the beauty that there is here.

So Welcome to Puerto Rico.

Gregg,

We used La Flor de Mayo. I had called La Rosa del Monte because I had seen on the site that it was a good company. but then I had the alternative company and had heard of them for so many years. My Mom used them in NY and so I called both companies. Rosa Del Monte called me after 1 week and a half and I had spoken to La Flor already and did everything over the phone and they e-mailed me the quote and the price was pretty good.

Anyway when they finally called me from Rosa it was too late. Flor had said that it would take 4-6 weeks and so we paid a deposit and when they went to p/u the stuff in Fla. at my bil's house on July 3, I had paid another portion. So now we owe a little bit. They had told my husband that it would take 4-6 weeks since it went from Fl. to DR and then here. We found out when it was 6 weeks that it hadn't left Fla. yet and I was pissed and I called the guy who gave me the quote and to this day he has not returned my call. The guy that my hubby spoke to said to call in 2 weeks and he did 2 weeks ago and the girl said that it may be here in 2 weeks maybe or more.

Anyway this Friday, we will call again and to tell you the truth, I don't feel like paying the balance since they took so long(I know that I will or I won't get my stuff). Well we will see on Friday and I pray every night that my stuff comes soon. I know that I should have asked for references or something but I just was not thinking at that time.

So wish me luck that I get my stuff soon and that nothing is missing or damaged because if it is, we are going to have a problem.

Oh, Tonie, I hope this all works out for you!  What a pain in the butt.  Hopefully, it is all there and in one piece.

From your mouth to God's ears. I have just about had it sleeping on a sofa that the owner left. I want my big comfortable bed!!!. I trust in God that everything will work out. I just want to get started on unpacking our over 20 boxes of stuff and decorating our house and making it a home. We had told the people that we were sleeping on the floor and they could care less.

So onward and upward to the next phase of our move to PR. I know Welcome to Puerto Rico. ha ha

Awww, sweet lady!  Trust in God and what happens is meant to be.  Take each day we are given as a blessing.  You must be miserable sleeping on a couch.

Yep, once you get your things, you can make feel homey and your own :)