Teaching English for KSU 2014/15 - Think again

Hi all,

If you have been recruited to teach English at King Saud University for 2014/15 you now have a new rota system.

Forget what you were told about 20 hours teaching and 5hrs admin in one week. Read the other part about Saudi Law(48hr week)

You now have a morning and afternoon shift.
The AM shift is 8-4pm..... PM shift is 9-5/6pm.
By the time you have got to KSU and back it works out between 10-12 hour working day
You are required to teach 4 hrs a day but gets even better because on two days of the week you could teach 8 hours with a 10 minute break in between.

Ask yourself the following
If you were thinking of spending more time with your family, then KSU is not for you
If you thought you could do more after teaching hours. nope you will be to tired to do anything
If your single than you might like it
If you want to make money, you might do but depends on your package
If your a Muslim yes you get to hear the Azaan, you will pray on time, if your not to tired from teaching that is.

Basically you will not finish work early like in previous years so think to yourself is this the place where I want to teach English???????????

wow that sounds worse then UK! and with all the problems KSU had recently with recruiting teachers etc. you would think they will make it more appealing.???

Slight error in my previous message.
The PM shift when on cover is 8am - 6pm + Journey time

What time do you have to sign in?

Is the AM shift and PM shift selected for teachers at random?

The PM shifts - all the new teachers, probably to appease the existing teachers who have got the AM shift. The shifts, hopefully, will swap over in the second semester.
No you can't ask for he shifts to be swapped.

Is there a shortage of staff at KSU?

Sorry I'm having difficulty understanding this.

Are you saying both the AM and the PM shift start at 8 am

Yes it is a bit confusing - I will do my best to explain:-

AM shift 8am-4pm
AM shift when on cover 8am-5pm
PM shift when not  on cover 9am-5pm
PM shift when on cover 8am-5pm
PM shift when NOT on cover but management meeting 9am-6pm. Classes moved back by 1 hour
PM shift when on cover and management meeting 8am-6pm.  Classes moved back by 1 hour
Cover means covering other lessons

Are you confused now :-)

YES there is a SHORTAGE of TEACHERS hence why existing teachers have to cover with less than 5 minutes to prepare. With this new system some teachers have left and more going which puts pressure on the existing teachers because they have to cover.

The  good news is when not on cover
2 hour lesson in the morning
3 hour break - Do something in this spare time to keep yourself occupied.
2 hour lesson in the afternoon

Doesnt sound too bad when not on cover. So the question is. How often are teachers required to be on cover.

Also have all the Edex teachers left or are some still remaining at KSU.

Yes, this is something like what's happening at PNU this year. One teacher has already left this year and another is seriously thinking about leaving very soon. At PNU the course hours (3 period classes = 2.5 hours) are counted so that we can be made to teach up to 9.5 courses (28.8 hours) without being paid overtime. We teach 7 classes (21 periods) and can be forced to cover 7 more per week and not be compensated.

However, this is typical of Saudi institutions, unfortunately.

Hello Everyone,
I would like to know when recruited male ESL teachers would be called to travel to the kingdom as I only hear females in constant demand. I do understand that at certain times there is a shortage of teachers of a particular sex,however, to see that happening all round the year (2013-2014) is beyond my understanding. One would have thought at the beginning of an academic year, when some teachers wouldn't have renewed their contact, the demand for both female and male teachers would be greater. This is not what is happening in London. Hence I would like someone to shed light on this issue as I am new to the system and couldn't get satisfactory information on the case.
Thanks

peony345 wrote:

Yes, this is something like what's happening at PNU this year. One teacher has already left this year and another is seriously thinking about leaving very soon. At PNU the course hours (3 period classes = 2.5 hours) are counted so that we can be made to teach up to 9.5 courses (28.8 hours) without being paid overtime. We teach 7 classes (21 periods) and can be forced to cover 7 more per week and not be compensated.

KSU can't hold a candle to Princess Nora University (PNU). A teacher came to PNU from KSU and quit after 3 days. She came on a Sunday, saw all the papework, and balked and promptly quit on Wednesday. This was about 2 weeks ago. No matter how it is at KSU, you'll have literally 5 times the work, hassle and regulations at PNU.

PNU is sort of new and starting out. They can't just hire people to support teachers (secretaries, assistants) until the need is apparent and that takes YEARS to demonstrate. KSU has already been there so at least KSU teachers don't have to spend 10-12 hours a week on paperwork and they have copiers, printers and people to help them with that stuff. Save your nerves and stick with KSU honestly.

dizzylizzy wrote:
peony345 wrote:

KSU can't hold a candle to Princess Nora University (PNU). A teacher came to PNU from KSU and quit after 3 days. She came on a Sunday, saw all the papework, and balked and promptly quit on Wednesday. This was about 2 weeks ago. No matter how it is at KSU, you'll have literally 5 times the work, hassle and regulations at PNU.

PNU is sort of new and starting out. They can't just hire people to support teachers (secretaries, assistants) until the need is apparent and that takes YEARS to demonstrate. KSU has already been there so at least KSU teachers don't have to spend 10-12 hours a week on paperwork and they have copiers, printers and people to help them with that stuff. Save your nerves and stick with KSU honestly.

From what I hear, even extremely qualified professors are undervalued and not even given proper offices at KSU. I don't know how it is in pnu, but ksu isn't exactly the best place to work either. You've to be a national to progress and get promoted with power (I hear this a lot from ksu professors)

TEFL teachers are moved every semester. So you might get an office this semester and a cubicle the next, or other way around. We're true nomads at PNU!

We all teach at different colleges all over campus, and use metro stations to get around. A lot of us sit in public lounges to do our work, to avoid wasting time on the metro getting back, so an office doesn't mean all that much.

But your right Mani187 that nationals get preference and this is true everywhere. All nationals have offices (and printers!), no matter what their job, or would go straight to the dean for anything less.

When all is said and done, I wonder what it is that impels you to do so ???? Simple, if you don't like it, LEAVE it !!!

roa_douglass wrote:

When all is said and done, I wonder what it is that impels you to do so ???? Simple, if you don't like it, LEAVE it !!!

With all due repect, people are here for different reasons.

Everyone has their independent circumstances. Some need to stick it out to accumulate experience, some cannot afford to return back to their home countries & would much rather stick it out, and some may be in desperate financial situations etc. etc.

So it would be unfair to make passing comments for people to simple leave, if they don't like their job.

@emeraldsaregreen
Sorry, it seems that my comment came out disparagingly. However,  I do recommend seeking out other opportunities instead of sticking it out; simply because you won't be doing your job better if you don't believe in it !!

I want to know if KSU needs female english teachers??? Actually i am interested in teaching ...that would be grateful if u can help