Au Pair / WWOOF and food advice!

Hello everyone!

La Reunion looks like a fantastic place and I would love to visit for a workaway/WOOF experience.

I'm travelling France at the moment to do workaway/WWOOFing (which is where you stay with a host family/organic farm and work for them in return for board and food). I have a 1st class English Literature with Media degree and a Teaching English as a Foreign Language qualification. I am not afraid of big challenges and I am very independant.

So....I am curious about whether it will be possible to find a family in La Reunion who would want a native English speaking Au Pair to come and live with them to help take care of the children and help with housework etc. I am also interested in finding out about similar live-in oppertunities to work for farms/familes etc. I would also be interested in teaching English, but I'm guessing a lot of people have this idea so perhaps it won't be so easy to find work?

BUT I'm a vegetarian (will happily eat fish to make it easier but can't eat other meats) and I have Coeliac disease which means that I'm very allergic to gluten (so that's flour, wheat, pasta, pizza, croissants etc). I want to know what type of food is popular on the island? I can eat ALL fruits and vegetables, lot's of rice and nuts etc etc...
Hopefully this won't be too much of a problem.

I speak French but definitely need practice and I'm keen to work hard to become fluent because it's important to me to be able to communicate with people in their native language.

So, I want to know about the food, and about if there are many opportunities to work as a live-in AuPair or helper, and basically if it is a realistic idea for me to come. And also about teaching English.

This is a lot of info and questions, any thoughts/advice on any of the points would be really welcome - thank you for reading!

Jasmine

hi jasminesarah,

this is a great project and a very challenging one too!!
i"m reunionese and it may be a plan to offer you board and food!!! and it could be a great experience to have you at home!!
when do you intend to come here? how long will be your stay? would you like to work on the farm?
i don't know.... if you want to know more about me.... send me a MP.

Christelle