Placencia vs. Ambergris Caye

Hi,

My husband and I just returned from a week on Ambergris Caye and loved it.  Then I saw a blog with beautiful photos of Placencia.  Can anyone give me the pros/cons between the two and why they'd pick one over the other?  Planning a trip back to Belize this winter and thought maybe we'd check out Placencia.  Thanks, Susan

I like both places,
The main advantage Placencia holds is it is on the main land so you are able to get anywhere by car, much easier than relying on boats and planes only. Prices are a little lower for most things. (property may be about the same these days) The lifestyle is more laid back. It has large fabulous beaches.
Ambergris is Partee   town if that is what you are looking for, Ambergris is more year round than Placencia as there is a more pronounced off season in Placencia, when several major establishments close up for August.
I have got my place in Belmopan area so I can easily get to either but if I had to choose one over the other it would have to be Placencia. Just for the convenience of traveling to and from.
Island living can feel restrictive to some folk if you don't have easy access to a boat for those impulse times you just want to be somewhere else.

Thank you...got that feeling about one being quiet and the other not.  I live in a very quiet place now so think I'll stick with partee...we will have a boat so we can get around a bit better, not sure where to dock it when we leave AC, or how much parking for a day someplace well will be, but guess I can ask that question here!  Thank you again for good advice! Susan

We chose to buy on ambergris because well, it's an island in the Caribbean. How cool is that? We aren't living there full time so that might be the biggest factor in making our decision. We wanted to feel like we were on vacation when we were there even though we're going to spend months at a time so we picked the island for the activities the restaurants and the choice of going out without having to get in a car. I disagree with the first person because I don't want to buy gas and I don't want to have to worry about parking or theft. We just take the boat ferry anywhere we need to go. We also chose a condo w security because of the theft, I did not want any land that I had to secure or defend. Lol To tell you the truth I'm also not a big fan of the mainland. I want to see water. But it could be different if we lived there year-round but that's not in our plans.

Thanks for your reply!

I would add that Placencia feels like an island without its disadvantages. Placencia is on the end of a narrow peninsula. You can walk everywhere and see water from everywhere. There are some good pictures online that can give you a sense of the place.

thanks

About 15 years ago, I went to San Pedro for the first time. It was a wonderful little fishing village, with almost no cars or paved streets, and just a few golf carts. Now it is a very large community, with lots of cars, paved roads, expensive condos, and heaps of visitors. This is all fine, if that's what you want. (Unfortunately, with the "progress" has come additional crime, which was almost nonexistent 15 years ago.)

While working in San Jose, Costa Rica, a few years ago, I mentioned to my tico friends that I was considering retiring to CR. To a person, they all said that I should visit Placencia before making that decision. I did, and what I found was a slightly modern version of San Pedro 15 years ago--nice beaches, wonderful diving, small resorts, friendly people, and little crime. It fit my needs very nicely, so I stayed. I bought land in 2011, and built a home in 2012. My only regret is that I now have grandchildren in the U.S. and don't spend as much time there as I would like.

My recommendation for your three-week adventure is to use Placencia as a base, getting to  know that community, but also making one or two-day trips to Punta Gorda and San Ignacio. You can also fly up to San Pedro to see what it is like. I think that you could get a very good sense of southern Belize during a three-week period.

As others have noted, while the country is not big (150 miles long, 90 miles wide), the terrain is very different, as are the cultures in each community. The road system is also lacking, so it takes hours to travel distances that would be covered much more quickly in a developed country. So, divide the country in half, and make two trips--one to the south and one to the north.

As a closing note, I think that I would scale back your U.S. RV plan from 4-5 years, to 1-2 years. Good luck.