Tipping

I have just moved to Oman from Egypt where you tip or give bakseesh to everyone which can be highly annoying , but is it expected in Oman to tip the guy who packs your groceries at the supermarket or the taxi driver etc ? and if so how much? in Egypt you just give the change from your groceries or round up the taxi fare but as Oman is far wealthier the lose change might be seen as an insult
Deborah

Welcome to Oman.

I wish you a good stay.

If you need any help, me and all Omanis in the service..

deborah1964 wrote:

I have just moved to Oman from Egypt where you tip or give bakseesh to everyone which can be highly annoying , but is it expected in Oman to tip the guy who packs your groceries at the supermarket or the taxi driver etc ? and if so how much? in Egypt you just give the change from your groceries or round up the taxi fare but as Oman is far wealthier the lose change might be seen as an insult
Deborah

Hi deborah1964,

In hypermarkets and supermarkets, it is not expected or required to tip the help who loads your bags. But, if you are genuinely happy or pleased with the service provided, then you are more than welcome to show your appreciation by tipping a small amount of say 100 or 200 baizas. I do so. But I never give them coins, lest it be misconstrued as alms; so it is always notes.

Often times, the helper would abandon the task halfway through and would slip away to another counter and would return after most of the loading is completed by you. Obviously in that case you do not tip. But mostly, the guys who load the bags do an efficient job.

Since I do not use public transport, I cannot comment on taxi tipping. But I guess the same logic would apply. If you are happy with the service provided, then tipping a nominal amount for the service rendered would be welcome. But again, it is not mandatory.