Is this a good offer?

Hi there,

I'm writing here as I've recently been contacted for a position in Budapest, in the financial field. It's a big company and the salary mentioned was 400,000 HUF/1,300 EUR net (after tax). I've been looking around the forum but it's fairly difficult to get the correct picture.  I don't live in Hungary but I make about 1,000 EUR net at the moment. I also do not pay rent as I have my own place. What I'm trying to gauge is if this amount would be considered a good salary in Budapest for someone who is of a senior level (but not yet manager). I'm looking to find out if it would be enough for rent, bills, going out a few times a month and groceries. Perhaps even save some money each month? I would also assume my boyfriend would be able to get a job paying about the same so we'd have a combined revenue of 800,000 HUF/2,600 EUR net a month.

Many thanks!

The Hungarian Central Statistics Office gives average salaries in a variety of classes. You can use this to compare where your expected income ranks (scroll down to the income sections):

http://www.ksh.hu/stadat_infra_2_1

In the net income tables your income is above average in the finance sector, and far above average in most other sectors, and thus above what most Hungarians make, and they survive.

If that is a good income or not will depend on your personal expenses and standard of living you want. Then see this list for cost of living in Budapest:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … y=Budapest

Daianara wrote:

...... What I'm trying to gauge is if this amount would be considered a good salary in Budapest for someone who is of a senior level (but not yet manager). ....boyfriend would be able to get a job paying about the same so we'd have a combined revenue of 800,000 HUF/2,600 EUR net a month.

Many thanks!

I don't think it's enough compared to other EU salaries but we know nothing about your lifestyle and personal circumstances.

In the UK, you'd get at least 2 x that amount although your living expenses (for housing) would be considerably more than in Hungary.

The salary differential is wide across the EU. That's why there are now about 500,000 Polish people working in the UK and many Hungarians are joining them.

Hello!

Living expenses in Budapest are quite low comparing to other EU cities, so this amount is pretty OK, on average. Biggest part of yuor expenses will be, I guess, flat rent. On average, flat for two people in the city centre is around 400 Euro, maybe a bit more depending on the quality. Shopping, products and alcohol are pretty cheap.
Another thing you need to consider is benefits package of the company. I work also in this field and being foreigner may lead to having wrong expectations.
Where do you live now? I can advise on your expectations, depending on your country. ;)

Hi, as I'm a local one I would not say, that this is a good offer in the financial field for a senior one in Budapest. It is a normal salary for a local one in the financial field and not for someone who is not local. If your package includes the renting fee of your apartment and some addition costs and not only your salary, in this case it is ok.  Make a balance and if it is a good challenge for you both and will be as a positive part of your CV and of your career, than do not hesitate to accept it for 1-2 or may be 3 years. Here are some examples of living costs: renting a furnished apartment at a good place: between HUF 100.000,- - HUF 150.000,- plus addition costs like heating, electricity etc. it depends on size, on location etc. , monthly pass at local transportation: 9500,- forints/person for 30 days, petrol: 1 litre is 420,- forints, 1 pizza is 1500,- forints (average price) and 1 beer (1 pint) : 400,- 500,- forints.
Budapest and Hungary is beautiful even it is not so cheap as it seems to be. If you need more infos, please do not hesitate to contact me. Rita