To move or not to move - very urgent

Hello all,

I am currently an expat in UAE (so I pay US taxes and get a housing allowance, utilities are paid for)

I currently have two offers on the table and I am weighing out which one would be the best for me since the one in KL might be local contract.
need some urgent advice from the experts!
I'll try to post my question as efficiently as I can

1st option:
-Move to KL on local package:
-will probably not get an housing allowance

2nd option:
-Move back to US

Both positions are good, the US one is probably a little better. But the one in Malaysia I get some more international experience.

questions:
-How much would it be to rent a nice 2 bedroom apt in city center?
- Utilities?
- Are dogs allowed in apts. ?
- Anything else I need to know about moving to KL?
- Any other expenses I should know about other than the usual

Hi

4000 to 6000 rm (define nice and central!)

500 rm

Dogs are usually banned.

Cars, beer,electronic goods and good clothes are way to expensive. Cars are 2nd most expensive in the world. Public transport sucks! Beer is so expensive you even see the Irish abstaining lol

Hi,

I think   what I can advice you , just write down those negative and positive side of moving to KL or going back to US .
I think that 's all for now I can advice from you.

Babusshh :)

-How much would it be to rent a nice 2 bedroom apt in city center?
RM3000 - RM6000

- Utilities? (depends on how much aircon you use
RM300 - RM1500

- Are dogs allowed in apts. ?
NO

- Anything else I need to know about moving to KL?
Income tax when non resident is 26%/25% i.e. not living 182 days in a calendar year. No claim back for 2014 but can do so in April 2016 for tax yar 2015.

- Any other expenses I should know about other than the usual
if you need own transport add RM1500 per month

Going out and drinking alcohol is expensive (although sometimes some good ladies freeflow)

Lonely place for singles (i.e. working girls everywhere).

KL spreads over a large area (although actually KL City Centre is tiny) - so you may not be working anywhere near athe centre or have any public transport access to your workplace.

Hi I think RM 3K/3.5K is a decent budget. Check out propertyguru.com. You could look at Sri Hartamas, Mt Kiara (they would be higher). Check out Bangsar. Would recommend if you want to stay close to city centre. I am doing a house hunting as well. But am looking for a 3 Bed.

Schatty - look at Contessa in Bangsar for rural place or Gaya for mid-town but very convenient for LRT.

Hi , Eagles_Pa,

Respond to your four questions:
1) budget for two bedroom is good enough for RM 2700, its utilities have fully completed such as laundry, swimming pool, tennis court, cafeteria ,mini store, gyms and sauna rooms. In additional , the condo comes with perfect accessibility like LRT transportation and KTM train station, even taxi stand.
2) No worries, Pets are allowed to stay in condo as well. as well as taking care for them.
3) Have you consider for MM2H ? this is our Malaysia Package that offer to foreign those want to live in Malaysia.
4) The Expenses that incur includes  telecommunication fees, Electricity , Water Bill , and your own daily expenses.

For you to know, Malaysia is  fast-moving development country. Its competency is not as high as US, UK or HK. If you wanna choose Malaysia as your future working place, i am sincerely highly to recommend you to live Malaysia.

drop me a message if you have other questions regarding living in Malaysia

Pets i.e. fish are usually permitted but our four-legged friends can get you thrown out and loose your deposit if reported to the management committee. Having said that, older and small housing developments tend to be more relaxed than downtown places where DBKL (local government office) have strict rules in place which can result in all sorts of problems if management committees break the law. Employing security guards who do not meet standards are also one of the areas where the committee can be fined for non-compliance. Times change quite quickly here.

I agree nearly all condos ban pets. In my last place they posted "wanted" posters from lift cameras of a woman with a dog! They hunted her down and kicked her our. Low end (ie no way an expat would live there) places may not care. You need a house with a pet.

Mm2h you can't work so why do some always suggest that?

Over last ten years I have got more negative about kl as

1. Cost of living up a lot and property bubble doesn't help as main reason why kl cheaper than west is rents/properties are lower cost. A place in Bandar Utama I thought of buying has gone up 300%!  A friends place went up that much in 4 years. Crazy kl
2. More cars more jams and a lot more pollution. Haze really sucks these days. Part of problem is massive unplanned growth and less motorbikes due to cheap car loans
3. Salaries for expats are actually going down on many areas especially IT
4. Less nightlife - Asian heritage row and Bukit Bintang are now low class hooker infested shite holes. Ten yaers ago they were fun bars. Bangsar went boring - I miss TSB. Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong and Singapore are a lot more fun.

Hey Nemo - Changkat is full of Filippina (not) hookers. They prey on ridiculous middle age and old men  who look very uncomfortable when they get caught out with an "I am getting laid tonight" look on their faces. The regulars just laugh it off as the same girls are still around one year and 52 men later. The ones that get taken "home" take their payment "in kind" while the punter is asleep.

Plenty of hookers including segi gals paying for their tuition.

The greasy sexpat types are a downer I agree though. A friend went out on ladies might and she told me ten men to every woman. All leering. Great atmosphere!