Transplant to Toronto from los angeles

hello My name is Adam,

I am going to be a transplant to Toronto from los angeles california in the USA. I am looking for any tips or advice for new comers.

thanks,

Hi Adam,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Toronto forum for more visibility and for a better interaction with the other members.

So please tell us what kind of tips are you looking for, it will help us to guide you more efficiently.

For some starting information, i advise you to download the Canada expat guide, you will see that it is very useful.

Thanks

Priscilla

Hello Adam,

Buy lots of warm clothing, a good coat, heavy wool socks, a good pair of snow boots, gloves or mits, a hat or toque that will cover your ears. Winter is coming and if you've never experienced a Canadian winter before you're in for a big surprise.

Other than that you're not going to find Toronto too different from LA, it's really a very cosmopolitan city, just lots smaller.

The only problem you might encounter is that it may be a bit more difficult to make friends in Toronto, many expats complain about that. Ontarians are by nature very conservative and some can be rather remote. Don't let that put you off, just keep on trying you'll make friends I'm sure.

wjwoodward wrote:

Buy lots of warm clothing...

... in Canada!
When I came here, I wasted a bunch of precious suitcase space on winter clothes from a more moderate climate. I rarely get to wear them, they are not warm enough for a Canadian winter. Some materials become brittle and crack at -20C.