Any advice on getting the cheapest accommodation

Hi All!

My name is Emily, I am from the UK and I am moving to Cambodia next Thursday to work for 3 months as a technical assistant on an urban farm project for the Cambodian Children's Advocacy Foundation. I haven't sorted out accommodation yet but because I am working on a voluntary basis funds are pretty tight! I would appreciate any advice on getting the cheapest accommodation (just somewhere for me to keep my stuff and put my head down a few hours each night!). Any sites that are good for finding spare rooms? Any hostels that are pretty easily negotiated? Whether anyone has spare rooms they are willing to negotiate that as well of course! I am a good cook and clean housemate!

I am also interested in meeting as many people from all over while I am working!

Emily

Hi Emily,

For three months the cheapest option is probably to rent, but finding one depends a bit on where you are in Cambodia. I understand that you can find some rentals online in Phnom Penh but not many even there. It's best if you have a local to help you - maybe you can ask your foundation to help you find somewhere either before or after you arrive? I've been shown quite basic but adequate bedsit-type rentals for around $80/month in Siem Reap.

It's usually easier for foreigners to plump for a guest house - you can normally find a decent one for $7/night, and hostels/dorms might be even cheaper, though you'll be here during peak season so prices might go up a bit. There are plenty of places you can look but I've had great experience using Booking.com.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Andrew

Hi Emily,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Cambodia forum for more visibility.

Thank you both! I am new to this blog and haven't checked up often enough! I found a nice hostel to stay in in the end and am going to work evenings there to pay for the room. So that has worked out great. Can't wait to arrive!