Used car loan - from HSBC

Hi Friends,

Hope you are enjoying your weekends.
I am new to Malaysia on work visa (EP for 2 yrs). I am planning to buy a used car, can someone tell me if here banks provide auto loan on used cars to expats? I have my salary account with HSBC bank and my first salary is still to be credited.
Can some one share some contact with me if auto loan for expats is available in Malaysia.

Rgds,
Amit

For new cars they are available from the Car Manufacturer and sometimes if a major retailer is selling secondhand vehicles they may be avalable as well.  Most banks provide car loans too, but the downpayment for foreigners is very large (about 30%) and repayment schedule has high monthly rates as it is over a short period.

Just dont let anyone fool you into taking on a Car Loan Continuation. It is illegal. What people try and do is sell their car to you and they continue (perhaps) to pay the monthly installments to the loan provider. Obviously this is fraud and used by people who cant get credit. The car credentials cannot be changed into your name either - so therefore the insurance is not changed. So a very complicated process and if stopped at a road check, it will be immediately obvious to the Police what is going on.

Normally banks ask for 40% deposit for new expats. Easier to lease for 2 years

Yes, they do. The best option is to check with HSBC itself. You can get a good, used 2010 Perodua Viva for less than 20k. Check out www.carlist.my. Most of the used car dealers provide financing options too. But be prepared to put down 30-40% as a downpayment.

What credentials are required? A workpass, salary checks, marriage or home ownership, as examples?

Hi cvco,

This topic has been inactive for more than 2 years. I'd therefore request you to participate on the recently created ones or to create a new topic if you want to be further assisted by our members.

Regards,

Sarvesh
expat.com team