Hello Everybody!

How is everybody doing? my name is Narisha and im a single mum from Malaysia. Im looking to start a new life for my daughter and I in Canada, we are interested in moving to Toronto. So.. the job hunting begins! always happy to make new friends and am always open to suggestions that  would help my daughter and I on our big move.

[Moderated: Off topic]

Hi Nirasha,

Finding a job in Canada is particularly difficult if haven't had any working experience in Canada itself or graduated from a Canadian institution of higher learning.
There are 3 ways of getting here:

(1) Most people would apply for a PR and then wait it out until they obtain one before coming over. However, that doesn't mean they got a job but they do secure the legal papers to find any job when they arrive and land in Canada. This approach can be financially draining particularly if one does not have the financial means to "weather the storm" (so to speak) of job hunting period. Some can go as long as a year without a stable job or longer. p.s. it helps if you have relatives on the ground here itself.

(2) If age is not an issue or depending on one's comfort level, enrol in a masters degree or some kind. After completion, its easier to obtain a work permit and find a job when you're already here and with a local certificate of any kind. This method is more popular amongst people from South Asia, Middle East and some Eastern European or IndoChinese regions.  Very rarely I see any Malaysians/Singaporeans doing this. But you be surprise the Indian nationals going through this route do this even when they are married and with kid(s). It boggles me where they find the funds to put them through the initial stages (first few months) of their endeavour.

(3) Last of course is what you would like. Get a job offer from Canada itself first and get the company to co-sponsor or fully sponsor your work permit application fee (it is now more expensive then the time I applied. I believe $CAD1000 or $1200, I don't remember the exact figure).  If you are lucky to get through this route, the company may also help sponsor your move and the initial 1st or 2 weeks of lodgings when you arrive. I know a fellow Malaysian that got through this but they were already living in Dublin, Ireland prior. So the move was actually from Ireland to Canada. A note on this route though: Its rare for anyone to get opportunity like this unless their skills are unique and hard to come by that Canadian companies find it hard to source for a local talent to fill the job. This couple I know that made the move through this was in the offshore investment banking sector. Myself, I am in a unique and specific IT technology and consulting area.

Hope this helps. All the best in your efforts.

Philip

Hi Narisha ,wishing you well and good luck with the new life .My name is Jen ,i am from Indonesia and All my husbands relative family leave in Ontario Canada .if you need someone to assist you with the job and show you around about Canada  .i am sure he will able to help you . :)