Urgent! need NIF/numero fiscal in order to get my study visa! :(

hello there, all of you!!!

I am going to study in Portugal, in Braganca, but I need a study visa for that.

The embassy asked me for a NIF/ fiscal number in order to get my visa.

I did some research, called different offices but noone seemed to be speaking any other language then Portuguese.

Can someone maybe tell me how to get the NIF if I am not in portugal yet?

Can I send my legalised documents  & the acceptance letter of my unversity to a tax office in Braganca?

How does it all work?

I am desperate  :sosad:

I would be so happy if someone could help me or does have any advice for me!!

The course starts soon and I am stuck without visa :(

You don't need a NIF to get a visa,
usually you get a NIF after you arrive in portugal.
Student visa's are temporary, 90 or 120 days(i am not sure which exactly).
But within this 90 or 120 days you change you temporary visa for a student residence permit card. To get this residence card,you need to get NIF.
I got my study visa without NIF,and so do most students that i know here.
In my experience,you have to be physically present to get a NIF because you need a Portuguese co-signer of some sort (usually the school or a friend helps with this.

Let me know if you need anything done here so i will give you a hand with it. Make sure that the embassy or consulate are requesting correct information.

Regards,

Adolfo

thank you for your reply. That is what my university and the tax offices of portugal told me too.
I have the feeling the embassy tries to make things difficult.
I will see what they say. thank you for your reply.

hello everyone. my visa application got denied again. I was working the last years until 2013 as a sailor, but quit the job to be with my family (some health problems of my dad) and visit some friends in europe. I got already five visas (C,90 days - and 2 year working visa with spain and some more to go back to Spain) before i applied for the study visa for portugal. I saved some money to care for myself to study. I have more than the amount requested for a study visa. when I got the acceptance letter from the university in portugal it was one of the best days of my life.
Now, the embassy denied to take my papers because they want a work proof of 2014. Which I - obvisously and they know that-  do not have because I quit in 2013.
They also told me they do not believe that I will go to study, because I am jobless now (which student who wants to study abroad isnt jobless???) . It is just bullying. I spent a lot of time, a lot of money and a lot of nerves on that. All I wanted is to study and have a good education from europe.
Is there any chance you can DO something against this decision? Any experiences? can I contact someone?

fofiex507 wrote:

Make sure that the embassy or consulate are requesting correct information.
o

is there a way to make sure that they do that?

hello. I know you ate from Nigeria. I want to study in Portugal. but to get the admission is difficult. please how can you help.

Hello..

I am shamim, from Lisbon

Many many employees of embassy  do not have enough or any real work knowledge of the Brexit situation.. many guess and will refusevyou on the  grounds they dont want to lose there job .. even if all your papers etc are in order .. as for them you dont count..