Living cost in DR

does anybody have an idea for cost in Santo Domingo for one person/month:
room (or small apartment)
electricity
tv
internet
food

and How much i can make for a month without the knowledge of spanish language - can I make enough to cover the abouve expensses

We have discussed this in various places but here is the bottom line - it depends.  So,  what skills do you have? can you work legally? (meaning you are going to get your residencia and cedula)  This will determine how much money  you are likely to earn. With a cedula you can count on earning US 600 to US 700 a month in a call center. that is often where people start out.  Again, depending on your skills, there may or may be more for you here.

Second - how do you want to live?  A very basic living - decent small apartment,  electricity plus a back up plan,  internet,  cable tv,  food  and public transportation are likely to run you 1,000 US a month!  After some time here you can learn to do things less expensively but in the beginning, especially  with no spanish that will be tough. 

I hope that helps!

yes very basic living i guess not much choice, yes i would like to apply for residencia and cedula (can you tell me where and how to do it - what kind of cost???)

Okay, go to the thread we started on Residencia first steps and follow it through honey!

where is the thread

Hang on....https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385083

There you go....

Also the process will take time (6 months or more) and is expensive $1500 or more total costs including what you will spend back home to start the process.

Coming here and having to work to exist is very hard.  It can be done, but I would arrive with at least 6 months of livening expenses in my pocket.

I will ask again. Why are you wanting to move to the DR.  I do hope down  deep is it not for a woman.

Bob K

not for a woman - i can find woman down there - I have been in 3 countries - Mexico, Cuba and DR - Mexico is very american style, Cuba is still communist (i am originally from communist country) and DR I just love those poor people full of life and smile on there faces - they are not spoiled by dollar yet as much as the other countries. I am willing to work just for existence there. Do you know how this thing would be in case lets say if i would relocate only for 4 months during so depressing winter time here? Is it the same procedure.

I answered your other post.

Coming here for 4 months during he winter and looking for work will be VERY difficult if not impossible.

Bob K

thanks Bob for your suggestions - but i want to get more infos before i decide. My life is straight more less only financial situation - that why i am willing to live poorly but happy way

kuda1965 wrote:

i am willing to live poorly but happy way

From what I have read so far about your situation:
Your wish to live poor will come true.
Whether this will result in happiness..... I very much doubt it.
All the best.

m'frog

Perhaps there are telephone solicitation jobs that might pay enough for you to support yourself in the DR with no knowledge of Spanish, but the cost of living is pretty high for Dominicanos that speak Spanish and have skills. The mason that did the stuccoing on my house in Barahona came by the other day and complained that the most anyone would pay him for a steady job was $7000 a month, which is about $160 US. I paid him  $2000 for two day's work ($46), which included lunch. He was happy with that, but said he could not support his wife and himself if he did not get weekend jobs.  Fifty pounds of rice costs $900 pesos, or around $20, and that is about the cheapest food there is.

In Santo Domingo, the cost and standard of living is higher than in Barahona but still, what you have in mind sounds quite difficult.

kuda1965 wrote:

not for a woman - i can find woman down there - ......

You probably will and that will give you more problems....   :dumbom:

kuda1965 wrote:

i am broke too and i know it is not easy to get to another country and start just like that. I have been on vacation in Bocca Chicca about 7 years ago and just 2 weeks ago i have meet one girl from Santo Domingo.

As you are broke it is not a good idea to come here. I suppose in Canada there would be some state assistance, here there is NADA + 0.
For a start up and the first 6 months of orientation and planB money (incl. ticket home) you'd need at least 10,000$ (and that is putting it low).
We do not know what kind of job you can do nor what your mother tongue is (maybe there is a niche in tourism?), but  my crystal ball gives you a 5% chance of making it.

BTW, if you meet a/that nice girl again, your chance will drop to 2%.......    :rolleyes:
m'frog

thanks anyway
I got my idea
money does not give me happiness

thank you

Hi Kuda,
I'm interested to hear how you make out. I am in a similar situation, with a small rainy day fund for backup.
Is the DR similar in cost to Cuba? Do you find the people friendlier than there? I think there are a lot of Cubans who don't like Communism and are doing what they can to make a living despite it, from what I've heard. But the police state makes it very difficult for foreigners or anyone to make a living I guess.
It sounds like I can rent a decent apt. in Havana for $300 USD a month, is that possible in the DR as well? I imagine there are more rich expats and such driving up property costs in the DR, that was a problem in Phuket Thailand and Rio de Jan. and even in Honiara, Solomon Islands (that was a rough place).

The cost of living in places where you feel safe and have things like reliable water and electricity are going to cost you more than US$300 a month. Perhaps $500 would be a more likely figure for Santo Domingo On the other hand, you could probably find something like what you mention in some untouristy place like Azua, Montecristi, Barahona or  San Jose de Ocoa. Water you will need to treat with chlorine or buy bottled. Electricity suffers frequent outages, and will probably require an inverter system that stores electricity when available in 2 to 8 12 volt batteries and can be used to run your lights and other stuff when the electricity is down. My experience with Cuba is secondhand, from an ex-girlfriend than never lived anywhere but in Centro Habana. If you are an American, you cannot transfer money to Cuba. Whether Cubans like Communism or not, they are all trying to make the best of it, regardless of their politics. You cannot work in Cuba and you should not try. In the DR, you need to be a resident to work, but you will not be watched by any Block Committees.

Dominicans are friendly people, as a rule. If you do not speak Spanish, that will be a handicap in any untouristy places.  You should visit and stay for a month or so and see how you like it before making any major moves. I think that would be good advice for anywhere.

Yes come visit for a month or two.  Lots of areas to explore.

I agree your budget of $300 a month may be a bit light but if not looking for anything more than a studio or one bedroom and wanting security, electricity 24/7 and electric just a bit more might do it.

Bob K

In a non tourist area your budget is doable, its all about location!!!