Money

What amount of funds is sensible to bring over in the beginning, I know a deposit and rent we will need but worried we may not find work immediately so an idea of price of living would be great so I can work out a budget

well depending on rent/deposit i would reccomend bringing double that so you can be prepared for 2nd month incase

I would suggest several thousand Euro's to be on the safe side - and don't forget the exit option ( return flight and so on).

Just the rent for the second month is not enough ! People need food, drinks and a few other things !

Don't worry , not many people find work right away !

Cheers
Ricky

i never had several thousand euro , im not saying its easy mind but were coping just fine , then again matt managed to get job pretty much straight away ,..

we came with about 600 euro .. partly because it was a really spontaneus descsion , thought we were getting an extra payment at the end of the first month.

we have been here nearly  3 months now  well the 28/08 and i don't regret it one bit .

I understand where people like ricky is coming from and it is better to have money then to have nothing but dont let it put you off if your budget is smaller .

I said to be on the safe side ! rob you made my day !

Of course you can come with .....let's say 300 or 400  ! Depends what risk you want to take !
No more comments from me on these issues ! I'm fed up with ...... comments ! Others know it better than me  !

I think I'll just pass the site on to people like rob who know things much better than I do !

Cheers and good luck !

Ricky

Ricky and Rob, Ricky you are  amongst the most informed people here and your advice is priceless.
Rob, with respect, 3 months does not make anyone an expert and I have noticed a lot of advice you are giving is not taking into account many diverse circumstances.

Thanks all for the quick reply this has helped me a lot.
Out if interest how much is the average weekly shop and where is best to go we would like to live in the north of malta

redmik wrote:

Ricky and Rob, Ricky you are  amongst the most informed people here and your advice is priceless.
Rob, with respect, 3 months does not make anyone an expert and I have noticed a lot of advice you are giving is not taking into account many diverse circumstances.

with all due respect, i did not say ricky was wrong , or that i knew more then him,  in fact i said "I understand where people like ricky is coming from and it is better to have money then to have nothing but dont let it put you off if your budget is smaller ."

i tell people things i know from my experience , and information i have researched ... and questions i have asked off people in the know the op didnt give any circumstances she/he asked what a senisble amount of money to bring with them was , i answered .. ricky answered .. i simply pointed out that if you don't have thousands of euros it doesnt have to be that bad , i didnt make personal judgements against ricky or say that his advise was in anyway wrong , i rightly said that if you dont have a huge budget you shouldnt be put off ..

in the north of malta  , there is the tower supermarket at st julians and silema, trollees in qawra and scotts and piscopos in bugibba , many of the locals shop there , however you can also get a bus to lidl.

You should also make use of the fruit and vegetable vans , as shops charge a lot for vegetables , and the vans grow a lot of the produce themselves so its cheaper .

an average shop depends on who your are, how many people involved etc but i would say your looking at between 20-50 euro for one person ,

Thanks Rob is that amount per day or week?

lol per week , me and my partner usually spend about 30 euro  a week  shopping and probbaly about 5-10 euros at the market on fruit and veg
remembering in that you would want to buy water a crate of 6 bottles is around 2euro and i would say you would want a crate per person per week , ( tap water whilst is ok to drink can leave a funny taste)

you can bring the cost of things down by buying in bulk , there are frozen food cash and carrys here open to the public, for meats etc... the local butchers can be good value .

avoid things that are processed , ready meals etc these are very expensive ..

it really depends what kind of diet you are currently used to , if you can cook yourself etc what size portions you eat

Thanks Rob this really helpful we both love fresh food and cooking from scratch so that will be fine.
One more question how do we go about opening a bank account over there how soon do we need to do this and what documents we need to take into the bank. Also which bank is best?

different banks have differing criteria
we went to bov and my partner had to take in passport, letter from employer introducing him and a contract of employment and they opened pretty  much there and then 

some wil ask for bank refrences others will want you to wait till you get your id card

If you have a credit or debit card then you only need to bring over a small amount of cash. You can draw out more as and when you need it.

Terry

robpw2 wrote:

lol per week , me and my partner usually spend about 30 euro  a week  shopping and probbaly about 5-10 euros at the market on fruit and veg

40 euro per week? I wish I can do this.
We came here with several thousand euro. I'm glad we did it. We paid almost 2000 only to rent an apartment (rent+deposit+agent).

i paid 250 euro deposit 250 euro rent

its easy to not spend money if you shop around and buy things in bulk

im used to it

Has anyone thought to include utility bills? They catch up with you in the end.
Wait until winter.
Also, no way could I live on E30 - E40 a week.
If it was a matter of survival I could but not through choice.
Depends on diet I suppose.

i guess thats where we all differ ,

we dont eat too badly for 30-40 euros a week  then again we eat a lot of home cooked meals
we buy potatoes, onions , carrots etc at market where you can get 4 kilos for around 2 euro mark  great value

and pastas, stuff to tins of tomatoes, things like corn beef or hams, we use coupons as suppplied by ix-xirja.com .. usefuel for a lot of things and you can use as many in a month as you need
bread we get for 53 cents, put a couple in the freezer and use one , its really handy

your right utitlity bills are an important thing to factor into any budget

And all other 'essentials', phone, transport, internet, medication...................................

I'm keeping track of all of my expenses and, over the past five months, I've spent 40 EUR on food per week. That includes small luxuries like getting dinner from a nearby restaurant (for take-away) one or two times a week. If you're living with a partner and in the South, I don't think it's unrealistic to spend only 30-40 EUR on food (per week and per person). I'm fairly certain I could lower my food related expenses to 30 EUR/week if I had to.

Two people paying 250 rental per month and an average of 100 per month for utilities and gas (it won't be less!) Plus basic foodstuff/cleaning materials, fresh produce from barrows or T'Ali farmers' market (cooking from scratch) plus bus fares, plus pharmacy and other incidentals will need an average of 1000 per month - and this probably won't cover any eating out but perhaps two take-aways a month. Have been here for 18 months and experienced the ups and downs of expected and unexpected expenses so am giving advice from experience.....

The 1000 covers basic internet/cellphone costs, the odd haircuts, a couple of beers and wine weekly, perhaps printer cartridges, postage, antibiotics if necessary, the sun glasses you lost.... etc etc - all those little things you haven't even thought of at the moment. Jobs are easier to find in the tourist/summer season if you are prepared to do 'anything' , but the hourly rate is very low. It's good advice to use your UK credit card but remember you will have to pay it back in sterling from a low Malta income or else sadly from your savings.
Please do listen to those that have been contributing to the blog for many years, it's worth the time invested.....  Advice is always interesting from a new arrival who is still in the 'Malta Honeymon stage'  - but unfortunately they will find that reality hasn't kicked in yet  :)

I totally agree with rooikat and don't forget an 'emergency fund', just in case. Especially if you have family 'back home'.
Reality has a way of kicking you up the bum when you least expect it to.

i think some people could do with learning that if you can't say anything nice then dont say anything at all ..

seriously whilst you may have been here longer , i have not once said that my advice is more important then yours or that they should only listen to me .

I am simply detailing my experience .i may be in the malta honeymoon period  but it does not mean i cannot talk about how much money to bring out with you in fact having done it recently its all fresh in my mind. 

people should read everyones accounts and decide what they feel is best for them  , everyone's experience will differ somewhat and this is merely a forum for people to offer information and advice to others and to direct them to the relevant places where needed .

the op asked me about my shopping budget , i told them ..  now , i never once said everyone spends that much i said it was easy to spend a small amount if you shop around and you plan your list carefully,  someone else might eat out a lot  , have takeaways (something i dont do)  and spend more .. or another might eat fillet steak every night but i gave the response to what i spent and explained how.

I have no issue with people detailing what they spend but i do have a problem with you making out that i shouldnt be listened too because i have only been here a short time .

It has nothing to do with 'being nice' or not. Please consider this.
People ask for advice and unless the answer is specific then inferences are easily drawn by others, especially if they are new to this blog. Advice is very likely to be taken as 'gospel'.
Two people initially responded; Rob & Ricky.
Ricky gave professional advice, he is a member of the blog team and has vast experience and knowledge,particularly procedures. His advice should never be ignored.
Rob, the tone of your second response virtually contradicted Ricky and whilst that may not have been your intention, that is how the content of your response has been interpreted by at least 3 of us.
It is also true that you, Rob, have not been here for very long at all so perhaps you may not have considered every eventuality that may arise. It is also true that you are offering a lot of comment and advice to a lot of people on various subjects based upon your very limited experience.
So, in order to give balance and put responses (advice) into context that was highlighted.
Seems reasonable to me and to acknowledge that there is always a 'honeymoon' period when one (or two or more if together) are naturally not being realistic about everything.
Now to give a specific answer to the original question: I would advise at least E1000 per month, with at least 3 months funding available if a single person. If in a partnership then E1500 per month per couple and if with others then add E200 - E400 per person per month, depending upon their needs. (Education etc.)
When budgeting always round up outgoings and round down income.
Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

redmik wrote:

People ask for advice and unless the answer is specific then inferences are easily drawn by others, especially if they are new to this blog. Advice is very likely to be taken as 'gospel'.
Ricky gave professional advice, he is a member of the blog team and has vast experience and knowledge,particularly procedures. His advice should never be ignored.
Rob, the tone of your second response virtually contradicted Ricky and whilst that may not have been your intention, that is how the content of your response has been interpreted by at least 3 of us.
It is also true that you, Rob, have not been here for very long at all so perhaps you may not have considered every eventuality that may arise. It is also true that you are offering a lot of comment and advice to a lot of people on various subjects based upon your very limited experience.
So, in order to give balance and put responses (advice) into context that was highlighted.
Seems reasonable to me and to acknowledge that there is always a 'honeymoon' period when one (or two or more if together) are naturally not being realistic about everything.
Now to give a specific answer to the original question: I would advise at least E1000 per month, with at least 3 months funding available if a single person. If in a partnership then E1500 per month per couple and if with others then add E200 - E400 per person per month, depending upon their needs. (Education etc.)

I agree with Redmik, I'm Maltese and often come to Malta for many months at a time his estimate is spot on, Malta may be a little cheaper than some places, there are still some cheap Maltese Finger foods like Paztizzi and Hobz biz zejt which can keep you going for a little while... Summer if you can live without out A/C will help a little, but as Red pointed out previously Winter is cold, and colder inside than outside.
I would not dream of going to another country with out many thousands of Euro's and a back up Credit card.

FYI, the last time I lived in Malta things was still in LM, and since than a lot of everyday food products have become cheaper due to a liberalized import from the EU, not so much protection for local producers,

Thanks guys this info has been really helpful and I now need to start planning and saving hard exciting times ahead!!

Hi Emma,

My wife and I also plan to move to Malta soon.

We have lived in a few countries for extended periods of time and ALWAYS have had sufficient funds in reserve should things go south.

In all honesty, I wish I could just 'up and do it' (like say, Rob and partner have), but I'd be too worried about our financial future to do that.

Having said that, I know a couple of people in Malta who have done the same as Rob, and have been there a few years now, and are very happy.

It's a personal thing. I couldn't do it, and wouldn't recommend it. But all power to you if you have the, ehem, 'balls'. :D  (sorry.....)

:)

Best wishes,

David

redmik wrote:

I totally agree with rooikat and don't forget an 'emergency fund', just in case. Especially if you have family 'back home'.
Reality has a way of kicking you up the bum when you least expect it to.

Yes, emergency funds/reality go hand in hand - as you say, it strikes when you least expect it  :blink:

A friend of mine came over here several years ago with, literally, nothing, except 100 Euros and one case. He roughed it, spectacularly and got bitten in the flea infested cheap hotels. But, he persisted and now he is very comfortable. He did it so I am not saying it cannot be done but he had the strength of character to tough it out in very arduous circumstances.
But, if one wants to have a relatively decent life here then be prepared and that, I would also suggest, includes having enough in the bank to finance a return move home, including shipping belongings etc.

Hi Emma,

As you can see there are two ways in the funds you need. The first one is to come prepared for everything and have enough money to fly back home.
The other is to bring a bit of money and see what happens.

I will be going to Malta on the 11th of September and will fall into the second group. Not a lot of money, but I need to go away from where I am now. I will be going alone and do not have the funds that 'redmilk' suggested. In an ideal world I would save up to that 1000 per person per month, but not this time. If you are happy where you are now, I think it would be best to save some to have enough as 'redmilk' suggests.

At least now you have some ideas on the money you need to come by and the money to live normaly. Hope you can make a deccision on what to do.

Tberg wrote:

Hi Emma,

As you can see there are two ways in the funds you need. The first one is to come prepared for everything and have enough money to fly back home.
The other is to bring a bit of money and see what happens.

I will be going to Malta on the 11th of September and will fall into the second group. Not a lot of money, but I need to go away from where I am now. I will be going alone and do not have the funds that 'redmilk' suggested. In an ideal world I would save up to that 1000 per person per month, but not this time. If you are happy where you are now, I think it would be best to save some to have enough as 'redmilk' suggests.

At least now you have some ideas on the money you need to come by and the money to live normaly. Hope you can make a deccision on what to do.

maybe i should start a blog on how to be crazy and move to another country with less than a months wages lol ..
in an ideal world you should have course save as much as possible and make sure you have an exit plaan but most people dont live in an ideal world and all i can do is tell people how i have done it .

the same as people like redmik can tell us how they did  it

i think the key here is that you can do it with very little as long as you are committed to making it work.

redmik wrote:

What Redmik said...........

The 6 'P' rule

(Proper Planning Prevents Pish Poor Performance)

MikeInPoulton wrote:

The 6 'P' rule

i don't disagree that proper planning is the right way to do things but it doesnt mean it can't work if you do things a different way .. people should be allowed to read both sides of the story and choose thier own path .

if it was to do it agian i probably would wait till i had a bigger nest egg .. but then i would proably never have gotten here .

robpw2 wrote:
MikeInPoulton wrote:

The 6 'P' rule

i don't disagree that proper planning is the right way to do things but it doesnt mean it can't work if you do things a different way .. people should be allowed to read both sides of the story and choose thier own path .

if it was to do it agian i probably would wait till i had a bigger nest egg .. but then i would proably never have gotten here .

Horses for Courses Rob..........

You gave advice based on your (limited) experience and circumstances without empathy or understanding. Advice (of this sort) needs to be sound, researched, empathetic, based on truths and (most importantly) relevant.

Advice, as is often given by you, with "me and my partner did this....me and my partner did that" comes across as a little contrite. By all means qualify your advice with personal experiences, however, fully understand what the person is asking for first, then, and only if you feel qualified to do so, offer them advice. For many (if not all) newcomers here, what they read is what they use to plan......your personal experience of "just doing it", coming over with only 600 and on a spare of the moment thought may be totally inappropriate for most of the enquirers - however well your intentions were.

Good luck with your Winter, Hope it will be as successful as your Summer.

mike, i respect younpost , it wasnt rude and i appreciate your comments on somethings i agree on others i shall simply agree to disagree

robpw2 wrote:

mike, i respect younpost , it wasnt rude and i appreciate your comments on somethings i agree on others i shall simply agree to disagree

That's the spirit..........

Mike - 'comes across as contrite or trite' -  I would guess you meant the second?  We have survived two summers and a winter and still going strong  :cheers:

emmaspoon, make sure you read this too  :)https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643