TEFL / TESOL / CELTA? Which one is best to teach English in Sao Paulo?

Hi,
I'm Michael currently in UK (British national), and am keen to move to Sao Paulo and teach English as a native speaker, and was wondering which is the best teaching course I should do before coming over. I have read that English teachers are in demand, so a TEFL is more than enough to get by. Is this right? Or do I need to do something more advanced like the CELTA course?
I have also read that most people come over and work on a tourist visa due to it being highly impossible to get visa sponsorship prior to living in the country. Is this also true? I don't want to get myself in to a tricky situation.
I have Brazilian friends in SP already, so living arrangements wouldn't be a problem, I just need some confirmation on the best way to come over (regarding the visa situation), and whether the TEFL is enough to obtain English Teaching jobs.
Oh, and I have year's experience teaching English in Paris during my year abroad as part of my Degree studying French, and trust this should stand in good stead when looking for work out there.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

:D

Michael

Hi Michael,

Actually, any of the courses you've mentioned will put you in good shape for finding a teaching job in São Paulo. Don't expect to make a lot of money from any of the "traditional" schools, they really don't pay well, but they're a good start to keep you going until you can recruit enough private students to earn a better income. Private students really are where the money is. One major thing to remember, NEVER take students from a school where you have worked until they're out of the school for about a year. Good ethics will keep you in good standing with the schools, students are easy enough to find without taking them from a school where you're working or have worked and risk getting blacklisted. Some students will actually approach you with an offer to leave the school and take private lessons with you. Don't fall into that trap, many times they'll just turn around and rat you out to the owner of the school. Then not only do you wind up without a student, but also without a job. Really not worth it.

Thanks for the quick reply wjwoodward! :) Your insight is very much appreciated, and will be noted for when I go. I'll probably do the 150 hour Tefl then, and go on a tourist visa around the beginning of October, and hope to find schools willing to overlook the 'working on a tourist visa' issue.
Any advice from other expat-bloggers will also be greatly received :D
As will any links to the most popular São Paulo job boards for English Teachers

Thanks guys!

Michael :)

Hi Michael,

Once you've got a few more postings under your belt send me a private message. I have a contact for you in São Paulo, a personal friend of mine.

Cheers,
James

Brilliant, thanks James! :D
Will do,

Michael