Self Employed Deductions

Hey,

Does anyone know which expenses can be deducted from my revenue when calculating income tax as a self employed/occupied person?

Let's say that I do contract work as a freelancer and only work with clients from abroad. Live in Malta and work from home. Can I deduct part of my rent as a business expense? What about things like internet connection costs? Laptops and other equipment?

Also - is income tax calculated on in income before social security payments or after deducting social?

Thanks a lot!

I would go to the tax office - theyre very good and will give you the information you require

Or get an accountant who can tell you for sure what you can deduct or can't. From what I was told, you might be able to claim part of the rent you're paying if you work from home. Also, you should be able to claim part of your internet and telephone bills. You just need to find out exactly what percentage of those bills you'll be able to deduct on your tax return.

And if you do find out, please share :)

sirrocco wrote:

And if you do find out, please share :)

I agree, please do. Such information before moving would be very helpful to me.
Thanks,

David

This kind of information would be most helpful to me also. Subscibed to the topic.

Dear All,
I moved from Italy to Malta few days ago, I'm yoga meditation and reiki teacher and I would like to find a place where to teach. Anyone can help? What about taxes ecc...?
Thank you!

Hi Peeps,

Do we have an update on this subject. I am registered with HMRC in Uk. moving to Malta in a month and will be operating my own business there. Do I cancel with HMRC here and register as self employed in Malta with the authorities there?

If you are resident in Malta then you must register with the Maltese tax department.

https://ird.gov.mt/

If you want specific information regarding your circumstances then phone them  and ask for the expat section..
They are very helpful.

Terry

You must also inform HMRC and initially I would say through experience that returns to both will have to be done when required. Tax periods:  UK April - March,  Malta Jan - Dec.
Read the relevant parts of this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643