Also moving to Malta, I have some questions

Hello all.

I will be moving to Malta on the 11th of September and have some questions. I already read a lot of information on the forum here, some of my questions are similair to others. It is just a little bit of uncertainty that I ask them again.

I am from the Netherlands, speak Dutch as my native language and near fluent English. I do not speak any other languages. For the last 2.5 years I have been working as a customer support agent and hope to get a job in this field on Malta. According to 'ricky' on this forum in an answer on a previous question and from what I have read it should be possible to get a job in iGaming.

As I do not have a job when I arrive I will have to organize most things by myself, like most people here I guess. So the questions:

- Will I be able to work straight away, or do I need to get the e-residency card first? I have an Dutch passport.

- From what I have read, opening a bank account requires different things, it depends on the employee that you encounter. Will I be able to open a bank account with near nothing? I will not have my own house when I get here, nor a job. Can I speed up the process by getting information from my current bank account? I am not sure how I can get a bank reference, can anyone explain what it needs to contain informationwise?

- I will be comming with Malta with a small budget. I am wondering if I should get an appartement for the first weeks or stay in a backpackerhostel. The hostel will cost me 75 euro a week, is an apartement cheaper then that? And the follow up question, to get an appartement. I have read a few different ways to proceed here. One is to find owners direct, for example via Maltapark. The other one is via a real estate agency. Not a lot of happy stories about the last one, but also some good.
For the costs here, most times you pay half the rent to the real estate agency as a fee. Then you pay a bond and rent in advance. Do I have to pay 2.5 moths rent in total in advance or 3.5 months? If it is the last one I see myself a long time in a hostel... :)

- I will need to ship some items from the Netherlands and maybe Hungary to Malta. These items will fit in one or two boxes and will be send with regular mail. Is it possible to ship them to a postoffice or does it need to contain an personal address? If it needs a personal address, any suggestions on how to send these items? I do not have someone to send them at a later time when i have my own place.

I probably will have some more questions in the near future, I will post them here when I do.

Best,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

yes, it should be possible to get a job in the igaming industry here in Malta being a native Dutch speaker.  You will be able to work 'right away' as a EU citizen but don't count on getting a job right away. Things are a bit slower in Malta sometimes - including the job process. BUt it can work out faster! Make sure you have extra money to make it until your first salary comes in.

As soon as you have the e-residency card you will get a basic bank account but no credit facility or anything else.

I can only recommend using a hostel with the rates you quote. Then you will have time to look for an appartment and if you wait a bit the rates after October will be lower. For the rate you quote you won't find an appartment in any interesting location near where the jobs are.

For an appartment through an agency you will have to pay 1 months safety deposit + 1/2 month rent for the agent and the first months rent = 2 1/2 months rent. If you rent from private you save the 1/2 months agents fee.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Technicaly, is it possible to get a job before I get a bank account? A basic account is good for me. And do you get wages once a month or at different times?

Might be good to wait indeed till the summer periode is at an end to look for my own place. The max 2.5 months is a relieve, will make it a bit easier.

yes most companies here pay by cash or by cheque. and you can cash cheques in the bank without an account . you can get a bank account with a letter from your current bank , your dutch passpost and an introduction to banking services from your new employer.

are you coming alone ? the back packers hostel sounds a good deal make sure you ask befroe arriving if they have a "deposit" for damages you don't want to get here and find you have to put down 50-100 euros especially if your on a budget

have you thought about what areas you wish to live in ?

if you need anything just ask me and i can help where possible :)

Hi Rob,

Thanks as well for your reply.

The letter from my bank, does it need to include something? Or can it be just a random letter that I got? For example my name and address on it, is that enough? Or does it have to be a letter stating I have a good history with that bank?

I made an enquiry with one of the hostels I saw, but the prices are higher then advertised. Instead of the advertised 210 euro a month they charge 350 a month. Probably because it is high season and they advertise with low season prices. Sometimes it is good to travel alone, in this case it would make it easier to share costs.

Maybe it is best to get a house for myself real quick, or find a someone here that has a room left. Housing part here is good for finding that. I would like to live near the ocean, It would be great to find a place with a view of the ocean. From what I read and have seen I think I will like St Paul's bay. My options are however limited due to starting budget. And the mos important thing, I have to see it first before I can make a choice!

if you ask your bank for a banking reference before you leave this will be fine , it needs to be something that says you have a good history , you can wait till you go to the bank in malta and they will request on your behalf but this can take ... months ..
i live near the ocean in the south of the island marsaxlokk , whilst st pauls bay can be very popular it will also be very expensive from  june till about november , you will need to take this into consideration on propery hunting .. inland you can find places from 150 euros upwards so whilst the draw is the sea , it depends on what your budget will be and what size property you want , however i wouldn't expect anything under 400 euros at this time a year ..

check out maltapark look for the kind of properties available and the areas on google maps ,
yeah hostels/hotels etc will be expensive .. you may find trivago is useful however  the blue sea hotels charge a 50 euro deposit , you may also find if your a lone you will have to pay a single person supplement .

make sure you check out the facilities in each area, cost of food and opening hours of shops.  just remember that whilst you may not have a view of the ocean , you can travle round the island for 6euro 5oc a week so you can be at a beach within less then an hour from most places .

Hi Thomas, fist of all, welcome to the forum!

As previously mentioned, with your language skills and job experience, I reckon you won't have much difficulties to find a job within the online gaming industry. Dutch, German and Swedish, are very strong languages and on demand here in Malta.
A good place to look for properties when you get here, is the Times Of Malta newspaper, there are a lot of private adverts for rooms and apartments. There's also a Facebook page called "no agents" where you can also find lots of properties straight from the landlords.
With regards to bank references, from my experience, banks do not accept bank references brought from the person itself, they have to be sent directly from your bank (wherever you have your account) to the branch where you planing opening the account here in Malta. If you manage to get a reference from your employer, then can make your life easier. However, some banks only accept a work reference if you already have the EID card.

Hope it helps and best of luck!

Cheerio,
Antonio

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the clarification regarding the bank. I will make sure that my Dutch card will work in Malta and see how it goes when I go to a branche in Malta. Maybe I will get back in line if the first person wants something that I do not have :-)

Nice to read that it should be possible to get a job with the Dutch language. If not, I hope there is a restaurant out there that needs someone for the dishes, no language involved with that!

Just joined the facebook group, I have heaps of options now for looking for a house. All that is left is to set a budget for what I want to spend and where I want to live.

400 is just above what I want to spend Rob. I was hoping to spend 300-350 max. Maybe I will stay somewhere for a shorter time untill the holiday season is over and find a place near the ocean. 150 euro sounds really cheap though. That might not be such a bad option either, means more money left for other things (more scuba diving) or a nicer furnished place inland. The point of being near the ocean just about everywhere is also a good one. As I will not get a car it is nice to be near a public transport hub and shops.

All in all I can't wait to be there