Non english teaching jobs

Hi all we recently moved to hanoi its an amazing place. We are from cape town south africa,.my partner is a qualified teacher with experience in the field. I on the other hand have very little experience (1year)in teaching but I do posses TEFL teaching certificates. I was wondering if any expats found work other than teaching in hanoi.in south africa for the past 7 years I worked in the construction field for my own company as a project and site manager.I would think it would be very difficult to find a job in construction as I do not know any vietnamese and communication would be a problem. If any one can help or have any advice for me or know of expats finding jobs other than teaching it would be really appreciated.

Thanks alot for reading my post
One love

I have built several small projects for my family - hotels, houses, office - and it is very simple to interact with subcontractors. I started with infill projects, but now, in HCM, even these cost a fortune.

Language differences are not significant - especially in physical trades.

Plumbers and electricians trades present the biggest challenges - most locals are incompetent at this (4" main sewer???). There are very good bricklayers, plasters and tilers in most parts of the country. They have marble mines in VN.

They also like mixing concrete rather than getting ready mix - which is usually delivered at night because of traffic hassles - and they go very skinny on concrete beams and posts.

Your contracts will have to detail stage payments, both with the outfit you are doing the work for as well as trades. Few trades get credit and even fewer 30-day revolving accounts.

You would have to get a Work Permit and set-up a company. 51% VNese and the rest you. KEEP MONEY CONTROL VERY TIGHT and IN YOUR HANDS. You will need a VAT licence.

Whilst VN has some decent Labour Laws, small contractors tend to ignore them and pay cash. As a Foreigner your books will have to be better and you will need a VNese bookkeeper. By using subs, you can avoid all these complications. You will have to pay the usual deductibles,

The VNese have a habit of hiring too many people for a job, which adds to your overhead. They also pay scant attention to safety.

As you wander around you should keep your eye open for contractors who appear to know what they are doing - then get their contact information. Ditto with suppliers.

Certain tools cannot be used in VN such as Hilti nail guns, etc. Windows are a weakness, I imported all mine from Canada.

Planning approval involves money and architects know how and who to pay it to.

Presently a lot of Foreign project management is used - Koreans are popular. The usual big international names will be found on billboards outside larger construction sites.

Further south than Hue/Dong Ba there is 'no need' for insulation, and construction is cheaper. If you are not too tied to Ha Noi look at smaller provincial capitals.

Foreigners have set up a diversity of companies - the biggest vanilla farmer is a Foreigner. Usually, projects involving land acquisition are complex because of ownership laws being tied with citizenship.

IF YOU LIKE INSTRUCTING PEOPLE, you might think of training people is aspects of the building trades you have expertise in. (Minimal capital!)

Thank alot jaitch.will definitely keep what you said in mind and begin my search

you want to teach English for Vietnamese people. right?