Self employed or economic self sufficiency?

Hello there,
should everything proceed as planned, I will be moving to Malta in a few months time with my wife and 2 year old son. I will be employing myself as an English to Finnish translator/subtitler. As I am currently finishing my studies, I have no record of being self employed, even though that will be the case after arriving in Malta.

Would it be easier to apply for residency using the application form J than form A? The requirements for economic self sufficiency seem to be rather easy to meet if we manage to get our apartment in Finland sold before the move.

I would also appreciate some insight into the procedure for establishing the correct social security contribution rates. Since I will be starting my business from scratch, there are no numbers to refer to from previous years. Should I just make sure that the contributions are sufficiently high to cover my income for the first year and have faith that any excess payments will be refunded? Now that I have surfed through the various government web sites I am more confounded than ever.

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks in advance  :/

Hello Teno,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope you will get some useful answers from our valued members here.

All the best,
Olivier
Expat.com Team

i suspect you might find that where self employed in malta are concerned  - it is said that nobody declares their true income and as such the tax dept take a view on it and charge a flat rate  - i heard someone declare that it was in the region of 50 per week a while back....

if you can go the self sufficient way (min income/capital and health cover), then thats easier than self employed route

Thank you very much!

It certainly seems to be the most hassle-free option to apply via the self sufficiency route. I did lose some sleep over the cryptic certificate of entitlement though, which I will be required to present when applying. My Finnish health insurance will be terminated upon the move. As an EU national I should be able to enter the Maltese social security system on the basis of employing myself in Malta. It took great effort, however, to find out how the heck one is supposed to do that. Luckily I found the BusinessFirst website which clarified things a lot. It appears that obtaining a Maltese social security number is not so difficult after all, there is even the necessary form on that site.

So, once I have a Maltese social security number, I should be able to get the certificate of entitlement with no problems, right? Or am I getting my hopes up prematurely? Considering the trouble that has been put into shrouding the whole entitlement-thingy, there might still be some catch-22 that surfaces at the Entitlement Office.