Life in Vietnam

Can anyone tell me about life in Vietnam. Is it true that I have to pay a bribe at the airport to get my passport stamped. Is it true that I have to be careful all the times from people fooling foreigners.

Hi.

1. It is sure that you will have to pay a bit to get your passport stamped here. I suggest you to go to Vietnam embassy in Lebanon to get your passport stamped. It will be much cheaper and if there is something wrong, you can find someone to help easily.

2. Being careful always? No need. Just wear like a poor person, you will no be disturbed by anyone. You will see a friendly Vietnam but " don't touch"..

Thank you so much

Moonlightmylight wrote:

Thank you so much

You're welcome!

about this fooling foreigners thing - just be casually careful, no obsession about it needed! if people see you as a friendly, open person they will treat you the same way :) smile a lot and be kind with everyone that you meet and it'll help a lot! I love vietnamese mantality - these people are so nice and open even if you speak english with them and they can't understand at all! there's no communication barrier and if you'll treat them as they treat you it'll be fine and you won't be cheated :) good luck!

Thanks a million

Chouf, Loubnani, if you have been doing business in Beirut, I can't imagine you'll have any problems in Saigon. I think you'll find the business, culinary, and after-hours ambiances to your liking.

lirelou wrote:

Chouf, Loubnani, if you have been doing business in Beirut, I can't imagine you'll have any problems in Saigon. I think you'll find the business, culinary, and after-hours ambiances to your liking.

If you have been doing business in survived Beirut, I can't imagine you'll you will have any few problems in Saigon.

Except crossing the road.

Moonlightmylight wrote:

Can anyone tell me about life in Vietnam. Is it true that I have to pay a bribe at the airport to get my passport stamped. Is it true that I have to be careful all the times from people fooling foreigners.

Hi,

You will have to pay for your visa - thats normal, but I have never been asked for a bribe by immigration officers at the airport. As Dejavu advised, get your visa sorted at the Vietnamese embassy in the country where you are staying, before travelling.

Life in Vietnam is pretty much the same as life anywhere although, if you draw attention to yourself you may end up with problems. The police here will not bother you as long as you don't cause trouble. Apart from that life is normal here.

Matt

Can foreigners open a bank account?

cvco wrote:

Yes, as long as you have an address here.

Moonlightmylight wrote:

Can anyone tell me about life in Vietnam. Life is beautiful here in Vietnam if you think carefully and act  :)
Is it true that I have to pay a bribe at the airport to get my passport stamped. NO. You don't need to pay a Dong if all of your documents right and the baggage!
Is it true that I have to be careful all the times from people fooling foreigners.
Yeah, that's right partially. Like any other country, foreigners are ATMs here too! Just use your brain and proceed. People are very friendly and helpful if you utilize them in the right way. Nobody fooled me yet but  tried and failed many times! . :)

eodmatt wrote:
cvco wrote:

Thanks. Previously about VN i read that only work-visa holders could open an account so I was looking for some clarification. Also, like most countries, is such an account accessible online for transfers and bill-paying?

cvco wrote:
eodmatt wrote:
cvco wrote:

Thanks. Previously about VN i read that only work-visa holders could open an account so I was looking for some clarification. Also, like most countries, is such an account accessible online for transfers and bill-paying?

I assumed that if you had an address here, you would have a visa....

I opened an account two years ago with HSBC without any problems and it includes internet banking, online transfers, ATM card and credit card facility. Not sure about bill paying as I have never done that online here, maybe someone else will advise.

There is one problem with Vn bank accounts: it can be difficult to transfer money overseas from some bank accounts here. However withdrawing money from foreign ATM machines with your Vn ATM / Visa card is no problem..

Many thanks

How much I am allowed to take cash with me to Vietnam and where should I exchange US dollar to Dong

Ok understood. Here is the thing. I came to Malaysia in 2000 and started bank accounts, then a company and here I am. Im contemplating a complete shift to Saigon this year. It takes time to re-setup a life and usually that starts with basic things like finding a place to live, opening an account, getting internet and electric and phone, finding furniture and house items and transport like a bike. You know its a huge task. If at the heart of entire effort is a work-pass first, it makes things 1000x more difficult. And how to deal in all-cash all the time, including company capital? Do people carry around $100,000 (or some number) in their pockets? I wouldnt be allowed to board airplanes with money like that. How does this work, when a life is all being done from scratch and without a bank account?