Parking an overland car in Nairobi. Need suggestions!

Hello everyone,

I don't know exactly where to post this, but this seems like a good place to start. I'm a Norwegian traveler who's been driving up through Africa from Cape Town and I'm now in Nairobi. I was hoping to sell my car here, a South African registered Nissan 4x4, but haven't had much luck, so now I'm looking into storage! A couple of campsites in the Nairobi area provide space for storage/parking, but it's unfortunately beyond my budget and I'm looking for cheaper options. Maybe someone on this forum knows of a place? Or maybe some kind souls here have a property with some extra space for my adventure car? Just putting it out there.

Since I only have a temporary import permit I was also wondering if anyone know what happens if I leave my car here for a while a come back. Anyone had any experience with this? Or knows someone who does?

Thank you and have a great day!

Bjorn

Park at my compound :-)

Hello!

I've sent you a PM  :)

Bjorn

hello bjorn, i can help you find secure parking for your 4X4, get in touch with me at oakbridge.ke at gmail dot com

With regard to the temporary import permit, you must either export the vehicle, or pay duty on it and register it in Kenya, within the period covered by the import permit. 

You will not be able to sell it legally without duty being paid, at any point.  Duty amounts to about 75% of the vehicles value, as assessed by Kenya Revenue Authority.  Since import rules were tightened up, buyers are unlikely to purchase until duty has been paid and the vehicle re-registered.

I strongly recommend that you sort this out right away.  If you put the car into storage and the temporary permit expires, then you will struggle to do anything with the vehicle - it will be in Kenya illegally, for a start, so you would struggle to insure it and drive it anywhere.  Motoring fines are substantial. 

In the worst case scenario, you would be faced with giving a large bribe to resolve the issue.

Gari iko parking already (longonot)   thanks  :-)

Then Bjorn needs to get it out of parking, sort out the paperwork and re-park it.

Hello,

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have been to the KRA and talked to the customs people there. I can extend the TIP two times and I don't have to be in the country to do this. I can have a friend go in my presence. As for importing the vehicle it has turned out to be more or less impossible. But still working on this pickle.

Anyway, the car is behind bars and I'm on my way and hopefully all goes well!

Cheers,

Bjorn