Considering to move to malaysia

Hello friends,

I am an Indian working in a reputed IT company in Bangalore.I have 4 years of Java Development experience.I am working in a to-notch IT company where my take home is above 70k per month out of which I manage to save 40k per month.
Recently I got a job offer through a consultancy for May bank Malaysia as Java consultant,on 18 months contract and they say if I perform good it will be surely extended.They are offering me 7000 RM per month.
Please guide if it will be safe to leave my secure job and come to Malaysia.

I can't say too much about working in Malaysia because I've no experience, but I do know Maybank is massive and Malaysia is a wonderful country.
I only spent about six months there (Over three very long holidays), but I picked up a lot about the place.
You feel safe and the people were fantastic.

Hi Prity,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Malaysia forum for a better visibility and interaction. ;)

It sounds a low salary compared to your current situation and savings. The COL is rather high in Malaysia these days and at least 30-40% higher than India. The other issue is that with an 18 month contract, you risk paying 25% tax most of the time you are here as you will need to qualify as a tax resident in 2015 by completing a continuous presence of 182 days (minus business-related absences and private travel of less than 14 days). You will first be able to claim your tax back in about April 2016 - by which time depending when you actually arrive, you may already have left.

It is a huge adventure to move to another country to work - and a huge nightmare to start with.

Pay is way too low but seems that many Indians will take these jobs. Although I know many Indians are willing to share a small place, cook at home and drink cheap beer from hookey shops and send every last sen they can save back home. But 7k is still hard to save a lot on. And new tax regime means as gravitas said a big tax hit for those on shorter contracts.

Maybank will work you to death so no chance of much freelance work to make much extra. Think roman gallery slave!

Getting an onsite offer should be treated as luck.. We wont get a second chance. Personally i would say.. Go for it... :)
Good luck..

It's obviously not a CAREER MOVE, as you keep plugging your current circumstance and employer.  In Malaysia you will be just an Indian. No status.

Please do not accept this job, as i compare with your  Indian salary it's very low . Ask more if you really want to move. Also ignore racist posts of members, may they mislead you.