Advice on moving to Manchester

Hi everyone!
I'm new here, I'm an Australian hoping to move to Manchester next year. I work in the library/ information management sector and have no idea where to start planning for my move. I'm hoping to save at least $20,000 which would roughly be 10,000 pounds to help me get started over there.
Guess I'm hoping to learn a bit about what areas to avoid renting in? Any areas good for public transport, nice but affordable and generally safe to live?
I have no friends living there so I'm pretty much on my own and hoping someone can help with some advice about what to consider when moving to Manchester.
Thanks very much guys!

Hiya emilat78
There are lots of lovely places to live, especially in the northern Manchester area. Do you have work organised yet? That is the factor that will determine where is best for you to live. Once you have that arranged, the rest will fall into place a little easier.
If I can help I will, but you have a lot of research to complete
Regards, Chuckle Butty

Thank you chuckle_butty! Yes I know... I imagine finding work will be hard if I am not there in person to do an interview so that my first hurdle- but as you say once I know where I work I can figure out where to live..I'm a British citizen so at least I don't have to worry about visas or anything but I feel bit hopeless really - at 36 I feel more nervous moving this time than I did moving to London when I was 21. But hopefully by some miracle I'll be offered a job before I actually move!
Thanks again!

You are most likely going to end up somewhere in an arc to the south of the city, somewhere between didsbury and chorlton.
There is a massive student population, especially around fallowfield, so you'll be able to get a basic little flat without trouble and can then decide what your next move is once you've got your bearings.
There is a band of inner city between the centre and the likes of didsbury-chorlton which is more susceptible to roberies,moss side-whalley range. You arent going to get mugged or anything, but it is a bit rougher so avoid a downstairs flat.
It's a very cosmoplitan city these days, you will enjoy.

if you are just bothered about cost, Oldham is as cheap as it gets, it's on the metro and you've no shortage of mosques ;).
Most areas outside the city centre proper, but less than say 2 miles away, are cheap, but not as cheap as oldham.

Khalilsouissi wrote:

ok

Your one word posts have nothing to do with the topic at all.   :offtopic:

Thank you so much Mark_Lester! It helps a lot to get some idea of of places to live etc.
Yeah pretty much looking for nothing too dear in rent, close to transport and known to be fairly safe area- I don't have to go too cheap on rent but reasonable if that makes sense!
Thanks for your advice I'm really hoping it works out and I can find work there in my profession- otherwise it'll have to be London which is only more expensive!

To make yourself comfortable I would say move where you would feel you could fit in comfortably to begin with as you said you're not as confident as you were before.
Regarding close to public transport, id say near Cheetham Hill, Crumpsall or as someone pointed our earlier fallowfield or chorlton as there are 10 minutes bus ride, few minutes on a metrolink or 30 minutes walk to the main town centre which is everything and is the main area for every mean of public transport and shopping, libraries, universities, as well as a food court. Manchester is very diverse, you wouldn't have anything to worry about :)

stumpy wrote:
Khalilsouissi wrote:

ok

Your one word posts have nothing to do with the topic at all.   :offtopic:

His posting history is basically rubbish.
Mostly "OK" but not a lot else.
I suspect a post count job intended to open the PM system.
I'll pop a report in later.

On topic, Manchester has a great public transport system, allowing you to get pretty much anywhere in the city without too much effort, commonly using just one or two buses.
It also has a tram system.
I'm unsure of the cost of a flat or bedsit, but the city has loads of them. There are also many shared houses where you can rent a room.

If you would like to see the prices of houses/flats as it varies from location to location, I would recommend  http://www.rightmove.co.uk  there are other websites too but I prefer that one, maybe others can guide you :)

Thanks Irum  :)  I can research those areas you mentioned. It helps a lot!