Moving to Athens in October

Hello! I'm originally from Bristol but have been living in Colchester for the past few years studying Philosophy at the University of Essex. I'm moving to Athens in October most likely to live with my girlfriend who is already over there. The main plan is to learn Greek but I'm also looking for work (I realise this isn't the best time to be looking for work in Greece). Do people have any tips or advice to help me out?

Hello M_Sabnis :D Welcome to Expat.com ;)

For learning Greek, I would suggest you to place an advert in our section Language classes in Athens so as to find a tutor to help you out. You can also contact those who registered themselves in our Language institutions in Athens and Private Teachers in Athens.

Concerning finding a work, I would suggest you to contact Recruitment Agencies in Athens

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Im sorry to tell you that you will find it very difficult to find any work in your field,you may find as an English language teacher in a private school or Frontastiria in the evenings,you might find it useful to follow a TEFL course in the UK before you come here,some schools require this along with a degree which you have.Greeks cannot find work so how can an outsider?I dont know what your girlfriend works at,maybe she could find you something.Teaching English seems to pay a bit better than other jobs which are around 2.50-3.50 an hour I think, and if you get paid on time.And remember that your employer must pay your health stamps by the law but many people are working without them because the employer breaks the law and the employee is often very desperate.If you have no cover then you must pay privately,Im told that language schools usually stay within the law,So teaching English may be your best option but try to get a TEFL paper.

As an English teacher living and working here for the past five years I have to say that you will not find it easy to just walk into an English teaching job.   The regualtions are in the process of being tightened and all teachers must have in addition to their University degree, the Post Graduate Certificate in Education, and either CELTA or TEFL.   We have also been informed that we may have to take an examination in basic Greek to satisfy the new regulations.  Many schools have been hit hard by economic situation here and the new regulations mean that many schools will have to close as they do not have the funding to implement the changes required.   Greek lessons can be obtained free of charge in Piraeus:
Mr. Ksiridou 6975 839220 10am-1pm
Mr. Mp pronounced (B) ouziou 2pm - 5pm
Classes re held from 6 - 8 pm
Lifelong Learning (IDEKE)
88 Tzavella Street Piraeus
210 422 0056
[email protected]
Briisth Hellenic College
Rethoumnou 2 ATHENS
210 8217 710

Hope this helps