Books expand the world

Hi there,
I know reading books is useful habit and Now I wanna form that habit.
I like reading personal developing books and business books. It's fun and inspiring if we can share our favorite books:)

So, What kind of books you like to reads ?

comedy
biography
true experience

I read my books.  Does that make me a narcissist?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

i have red ur blogging u r a great writer

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Read your Bali Diary on my Kindle.
Quite an eye opener!  ;)

Right now I'm reading "The Golden Gift - Breaking the Banking Cartel's Immoral Grip on Humanity".
by John Kim

El_Jost wrote:

Read your Bali Diary on my Kindle.
Quite an eye opener!  ;)

That one seems to be everyone's favorite.  Does that reveal more about me or them?

books about nature ..food and culture also history

I just finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams.  That was the best explanation of religion I've ever read.

I've hardly looked at a book in years, but I used to be well read.
I have a wide variety of tastes, ranging from Thomas Hardy to a little of Jeffrey Archer's demi comics, especially the fourth estate.
Whilst Hitch hikers was probably the most amusing, Hardy's Mayor of Casterbridge was easily the best.
I have a taste for audio books, you can chill out on the sofa and listen to them - very nice.
Of those, Barracuda 945 is easily the killer. It's about an SAS officer that  ................... ner, buy a copy.

Added, I have no idea if it's still in print, but a little piece by a chap named, Rakesh Agrawal simply entitled, Happiness.
One of those 'long flight' sort of books, just full of quotes and little ditties you can read a page or two, put it down for an hour, then pick up again without loosing the idea.
Rakesh stopped writing after two books because his second was a bit crap; pity, he had potential.

I read a lot when I am home. Always have at least 2 books on the go. Prefer non fiction, that way I like to think I am on a learning curve.

handsome_002 wrote:

like boobs in fiction

A very interesting comment!
Would you like to expand on it.  :)

I stopped reading because if I do, I normally get addicted and stop all the house work and go on reading...

El_Jost wrote:
handsome_002 wrote:

like boobs in fiction

A very interesting comment!
Would you like to expand on it.  :)

I'm unsure expanded boobs are a suitable topic, regardless of how pleasurable they are to "read".
I understand the Braille for A is a single dot, that means a blind man an would read, A A
I read, "Hey hey".

The era of books is over, we now have Internet and constant connectivity!

E books are the go these days.

beppi wrote:

Sad but true.  Too many people think Twitter is reading.  Someone once told me that blogs are dead because you have to read "too much".

stumpy wrote:

E books are the go these days.

Actual book sales still surpass e-book sales, but that will change.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
beppi wrote:

Sad but true.  Too many people think Twitter is reading.  Someone once told me that blogs are dead because you have to read "too much".

Neuroscientist Susan Greenfield claims in her book "Mind Change: How Digital Technologies are Leaving their Mark on our Brain" that the Internet will make mankind stupid, because the immediate availability of all information means there's no more need to think or remember.
The Economist (my favourite news source) recently reviewed the book and stated "Misgivings such as hers are as old as writing itself (famously condemned by Plato who worried that it would atrophy memory)."

I personally prefer books and as such have a large library at my house in Australia.
All of the books are non fiction and I have read some 3 times or more over the years.
I also use them to cross reference information in other books.

I took up reading for enjoyment again after finishing college. I had come to hate reading articles after article after article and couldn't pick up a book while studying! I ended up reading 8 books over the last couple of months! Gone Girl by Gilllian Flynn, Divergent by Veronica Roth and Best Laid Plans/the Starts Shine  Down by Sydney Sheldon to name a few.  I tried J K Rowlings books under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith, The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm but found them very long winded and boring! 

I have the same problem as Mal though... I forget to clean and eat as I can't put a book down!

I looked at a John Stuart Mill book the other day.
Clever bloke, but his writings are guaranteed to cure insomnia.

Recently I read: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1146 … ss-the-sun
an amazing touching, & thrilling story :)

beppi wrote:

Neuroscientist Susan Greenfield claims in her book "Mind Change: How Digital Technologies are Leaving their Mark on our Brain" that the Internet will make mankind stupid, because the immediate availability of all information means there's no more need to think or remember.
The Economist (my favourite news source) recently reviewed the book and stated "Misgivings such as hers are as old as writing itself (famously condemned by Plato who worried that it would atrophy memory)."

I think the internet is making people stupid, not because of all the information, but because it gives a voice to people who used to spend most of their time alone in dark basements.  Now we, I mean they, have an outlet for their insane ideas and through larger numbers, they become stronger and more vocal, thus becoming more mainstream.

Also, all this IM cyber language is making people illiterate.  In a generation or two, college students will not know how to diagram a sentence, or even what a sentence looks like.

mas fred wrote:

I looked at a John Stuart Mill book the other day.
Clever bloke, but his writings are guaranteed to cure insomnia.

I choose not to read John Stuart Mill of my own free will.

Hi!
I love to read autobiographical books. It´s interesting, instructive and mostly haunting to read about another´s life.
I also like to read mystery books and books from the 19th century.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR