Is it easy and safe to hire private drivers in Accra?

Hello everyone!

I have been reading threads about cabs and the expensive costs to utilize them on a daily basis.  For the expats who do not have cars in Accra, is a private driver the best option to take?  Is there a list of reputable and reliable private drivers at the embassy? What are the usual costs for a private driver on a daily and also weekly basis?

I understand that if you hire a car here it usually comes with a driver so perhaps you could contact one of the car hire companies and find out their rates. The yellow pages section of ghanaweb will give you a list of such companies and their contact details.

Hi my name is Felix from Ghana, what I can tell you about what you're asking is that, if you want to came to Ghana and stay for one year and above, the best idea is to get your self a car here in Ghana, the minimum price of car here in good condition is about 7 thousand to 10thousand u s dollars, and after you fill like going back you can sell your car back, or keep it any times you're in Ghana then you can still used your car, for the drivers am also a driver I complete driving school and have my  certificates and diploma in driving, and have my driving licence, i can help you to have a driving license here in Ghana if you fill like driving in Ghana, but if you're staying in Ghana for short time then I can been in help, if you need more info contact me on felixkwame.fa (at) Gmail

Hello,

Thank you for comments.  There are plenty of unethical businesses listed online and in the yellow pages.  I would rather have recommendations from persons who have actually had contracts with a specific person for a period of time.

I have heard that driving conditions in Accra (and in Ghana in general) are very unfavorable in comparison to the U.S. because of the poor infrastructure and lack of enforcement of safe driving.  I probably would not choose to buy a car (at "Obruni" markup rates) and then have to have it maintained by mechanics (at "Obruni" markup rates).