USD or Euro?

Hi all, coming to KL in a couple of weeks time, and was wondering if I must bring USD or Euro. Which one is better?Knowing that the currency of my country is not exportable, so I will change twice.
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks all....

I would suggest USD. But both exchange rates have been fluctating recently, so best to keep a log of performance for a few days to follow the trend.

Thank you Gravitas! I will do my calculations before change. By the way I was wondering if you have shopped around in KL for a really good money exchanger where you get really good rates. I'm staying in Bukit Bintang.
Thank you........

I dont use money exchangers, but there is one just inside the main door on Jalan Bukit Bintang of Sungair Way Shopping Centre which is used a lot. There is another one if you cross the ground floor and walk down one of the isles towards the Information Desk. Otherwise you have them on virtually every row of shops.

Usd rates are far better than other currencies in Malaysia and Asia in general. I would use usd.

Thanks Graviats. It's virtual to me now because I'm not there yet but it's noted and once there I think it will be easy!

Hi Nemodot,
Now 1$ = RM.3,13 and 1E= RM.4,19

I would like to take this opportunity to recognize the support that Gravitas provides in responding to queries on an on-going basis. The details, the follow up, the close out is amazing. Easily the # 1 member IMOH.

At the moment I'm in Malaysia and the exchange rate for US$ is better as (3.15 - 3.19) depend on where you will exchange from. Wish you a great stay in Malaysia

Both Euro and USD are tanking this week so it doesnt matter what currency one brings. In Bukit Bintang, the best money changers are 1) outside BB Plaza in a kiosk on the sidewalk 2) In a tiny shop on the same side of the street on the way to Lot 10, very near the corner.

But in all cases, dont forget to negotiate!

Hi Cvco,
Thank you very much but after long thought I'm not going to bring cash just my credit card and my banker will do the rest. Simple, convenient and safe

Just check with your bank that your card can be used overseas and for cash withdrawals and point of sale payments in Malaysia (i.e. signature rather than pin code will be needed in Malaysian shops). There are mainly Visa and Mastercard providers here.

There is a daily limit of RM1500 (sometimes an ATM only gives RM1000 because it is related to the number of bank notes dispenses).

Because of the transaction charges for withdrawals dont keep on taking out small amounts of cash. You can always sell back any extra RMs you dont need (or cannot spend) and get USD etc.

Also if you have a credit card remember that you might start paying interest from the day of the cash withdrawal and not the end of month billing.  (These comments are based on UK Bank SOPs - yours may be different, but worth checking out.)

Traveller woman by better rate I meant the spreads! Saying you get more from eur is plain silly

Worth pointing out Malaysia is the worlds hub for credit card fraud. Top in the world!

So best to avoid for smaller purchases. Some banks don't charge for overseas withdrawals. M&S bank don't. Metro bank just started a small charge. I find their fx rates good so not a problem. In USA I understand you get the same deal with some banks. Basically shop around.

The recent rate move with the usd has meant Americans now have to spend 8% more. Unlucky for them if travelling lucky if earning RM and sending home.

Do consider prepaid cards. Risk is reduced as if cloned you lose max what you loaded although there are charges.

@Gravitas
@Nemodot
Thanks a lot for your advices.