Mauritius Residence Permit

Hello

I am an Indian national married to a Mauritian national. I am planning to move to Mauritius in the next  two weeks and I know that I am eligible for a Residence permit.  I am looking for some information on what documents I need to apply for a Residence permit.  Also, if I can look for employment while on a Residence permit.  Many thanks.

Regards

if u are civil marriage then u get ur id card . and you can stay here and work . try to get ur mauritius citizen ship

Thanks for the reply mate!

When I first enter Mauritius, do I tell the immigration authorities I am married to a Mauritian resident and then apply for my residence permit? Just not sure about how the process works.

At the point of entrance you let them know your intention. And they will tell you the necessary requirements

Once you arrive at Airport they will give you a tourist visa valid for 30 days. After I guess you make your wedding register at local authority and then you should be able to get your residency. Finding a job it depends on your activities. Speaking French is useful but people speak English widely.

When I went to Sterling House to register as the spouse of a Mauritian I was told that all I needed to live and work in Mauritius was my marriage certificate.  I could apply for an ID card if I wanted to but my marriage certificate was all I needed to carry (but the ID card is a lot easier to carry).  Have it ready when you arrive and they will mark your passport as SOM (Spouse of Mauritian) and that should be enough.

He has to reside with his Mauritian wife on the island for 48 months before he can apply for Mauritian citizenship. He won't get that right away

what do u do in india.u need a copy of marriage certificate copy of ur birth certificate and a police clearance certificate which is issued by paasport immigration office.where did u get married.take my number ifu need help its +23059786725 send me msg on whatsapp or viber for any query.

Thanks everyone for your replies and help.  I do have a copy of my birth certificate and marriage certificate.  I'll also apply for a police clearance certificate right away.

Can I join this discussion? I am British born, and so is my wife. However, her parents are Mauritian ( born in Vacoas ), so my wife also has Mauritian citizenship, a Mauritian ID card and a Mauritian passport. Am I entitled to Mauritian citizenship and ID card as I am her spouse? Thanks.

manwithnoname65 wrote:

Can I join this discussion? I am British born, and so is my wife. However, her parents are Mauritian ( born in Vacoas ), so my wife also has Mauritian citizenship, a Mauritian ID card and a Mauritian passport. Am I entitled to Mauritian citizenship and ID card as I am her spouse? Thanks.

See post #7

Hi my name is Colin, I am from the UK married to a Mauritian, i have lived in Mauritius a year. If you are married to a Mauritius citizen you are entitled to stay in Mauritius as long as you like and also work, as long as you are married. Hope this is helpful Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for that. Is your wife Mauritian by birth or is she born elsewhere but to Mauritian parents like my wife?
I'm led to believe that because my wife is UK born then it is a bit more tricky for me to obtain residency etc.
Any tips would be appreciated, as we both plan to retire to Mauritius later in life when our teenage daughters have flown the nest.
Cheers..Matt

Hi Colin

Thanks you very much for the information.

Regards

Hello once again

Just wanted to check if there is a time limit within which I need to apply for a residence permit.  Information from the residence permit office seems to vary depending on which officer I speak to.  I was initially told I could live in Mauritius as long as I want and apply for a Residence permit even after 8 months, but another officer seems to think an application needs to be made within 2 months of arriving in Mauritius.

Please let me know if you have any information or thoughts.  Thanks!

Hi I have been told under Mauritian Law if you are married to a Mauritian citizen you can reside in Mauritius as long as you like without ever getting a residence permit. You wife must get a new ID card and register you as married on there computer system and then you are free to stay. I have been here a year without any problems on my residence. Hope this helps!

Hello everyone! I would like to contribute as a foreign wife of a mauritian national. I have been told that by an officer that my stay in Mauritius is legal as long as i am married. Its preferable to apply for your residence permit within 60 days granted on arrival. You don't have to apply but your life will be much easier if you do! I couldn't have a bank account without my residence permit, couldn't apply for local driving licence either. So it's up to you if you want to apply for a residence permit but it's free and saves you a lot of hassle.

I would like to confirm that a foreign spouse can get a national ID card only after staying 4 years in Mauritius.

P.S. I would like to point out that all female spouses will have permit issued in their husband's surname. I kept my surname after I married my husband 4,5 years ago but I couldn't keep my surname for permit purposes. The system does seem to discriminate women in Mauritius even in 2014!

Hi everyone

My husband is British and I am Mauritian. We are civilly married.

I would like to know if he can apply for ID card in Mauritius? And what are the procedures for doing so?

Many thanks.

manand wrote:

Hi everyone

My husband is British and I am Mauritian. We are civilly married.

I would like to know if he can apply for ID card in Mauritius? And what are the procedures for doing so?

Many thanks.

see post #7

He is not a Mauritian citizen , thus can't apply for the Mauritian national ID card .
However, should  you decide to reside I'm Mauritius , he can then apply for spousal RESIDENT PERMIT  ( he does not have to  but to make life easier for day-to-day living it is advisable)

Hi Guys,

My husband is Mauritian and I Polish we are planning to move back to Mauritius from Ireland with our two boys. Could you please advise me what document to I need to live in Mauritius??
Thank you

Hi all,

For clarification on what types of documents are required for a spouse residency permit check out the link below:
http://passport.govmu.org/English/Resid … fault.aspx

From my understanding if you are married to a Mauritian national and want to aquire Mauritian citizenship you will first need a spouse resident permit, which you must hold for 4 years. After which you can apply for citizenship.

Hope this helps.
BR

My husband Adrian is British and would like to talk to British residing in Mauritius as we have the intention to move to Mauritius.please let me know if I can add you on wattsapp or messenger. If it's ok, please give me your details. Annie message is for Colin