EU citizen - staying more than 3 months as a tourist?

HI,

I am moving to Malta in October, for a few months, and maybe more, I don't know yet.

Now, as far as I understand, as a EU citizen, I can stay for 3 months as a tourist, without reporting to anybody, and applying for anything. And, after that I should apply for residency, right?

What if I don't want to apply for residency, can I simply stay there as a tourist? Without reporting to anybody, and applying for anything? I am planning on probably traveling Europe for a few years, staying at places I like longer, moving on if I don't like it. I want to simply travel as a tourist, I am doing my work online, via internet, so I don't need to look for a job anywhere. So I don't want to apply for residency at every EU country I decide to stay more than 3 months, if that is possible. I want to keep my permanent address in my EU country.

And, if I do have to apply for residency, are there ways of getting around it - let's say, after 3 months I leave Malta, and come back the next day, am I then officially a tourist again for the next 3 months? Something like a "Visa run", which I read people are doing in Asian countries, for example.

And, finally, if this doesn't work how can they know when I arrived to Malta anyway? As a EU citizen, I can come and go as I please, no? I can just say, I arrived last week, no?

Thanks for any answers,
Slavoj

Hi Slavoj,

if you keep your permanent address in your home country and pay your taxes there and move on before the 3 months tourist period expires everything is fine. You are a tourist.

If you stay in any EU country for more than 3 months you are not a tourist, whether you want or not -)))

Why don't you want to apply for residency if you are resident in Malta? Of course you can come and go as you please as an EU citizen but .......rules still apply -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

The reason I don't want to apply is that I need my permanent address in my home country for my online work.

So, if I leave Malta and come back the next day, can I stay for further 3 months as a tourist, do you know? That would be in line with the rules, no? I read on the forums people do it all the time in Asian countries, and it's fully in line with regulations, no?

you can ask the police to extend your tourist visa , if you have good reason .. however
maltas not a very big country so really 3 months is more then enough to do touristy stuff ..

how would you support yourself over here ?

even if you do you work online in malta  - you are still working in Malta....

i d say there is room / scope for doing what you want as many people come to malta and are not sure if they want to stay and become permanent residents - sometmes its difficult to decide on that until you have been in malta for much longer - many tourists do stay for longer than 3 months  - but they dont have a permanent  home in Malta  - simply taking an extended holiday in a long holiday let

as for leaving for a day and coming back  - i thought i read somewhere that although this can be done and is often doen by many  - i hought i read that they are closing that loophole..... but its worth a punt - and would be inline with your will to travel

Hi Slavoj,

of course you can have a permanent address in your home country and still be resident in Malta. I don't quite get your problem ?

Where do you want to pay your taxes ? Is that the issue?  If you pay your  taxes in Slovenia and just move around Europe no one will care if you stay in Malta for 3 months or 4 or 5 . You don't need to 'visa run' as an EU citizen.

Just make sure that you have health insurance coverage.

Cheers
Ricky

I know that in mainland EU I can do this with no problems, as there is no record of me coming and going between different EU countries anyway, so 3 months or not, it doesnt matter. Its all within Schengen, so there are no borders, and nobody cares.

Since Malta is a bit special case, being an island, I was wondering if things are different for Malta. Like, maybe I stay there for 4 months, then I have to show my passport at the airport when Imk leaving and they say, oops, our record shows you came in 4 months ago via plane, so  you are in violation. Basically, since there are passport checks at the airports, I was wondering if that changes anything.

Maybe its a silly scenario, I dont know, I just want to be sure. But, thinking about it, if I take a boat from Sicily, how will anybody know when I arrived or not? In which case, how can they check when I arrived, when I can always say I arrived last week by boat from Sicily, right?

@Ricky
Yes, taxes are the issue, I want to pay them here in Slovenia, for the usual reasons of being lower in my case. And moving around every few months, I also dont want to pay taxes a bit here, a bit there, seems like a lot of paperwork, etc.
Also, I wasnt aware that I can have a permanent residence in Slovenia, pay taxes here, and still become a resident of Malta. I thought that would be mutually exclusive.

So, to sum up, I can basically stay for 4,5,6 months or whatever, not applying for anything, and nobody will care, right?

Hi Slovoj,

yep , no one checks when you come and go . It is up to you to keep a certain level of legallity and pay taxes somewhere in the EU.

For taxes you are supposed to pay taxes where you are resident for more than 6 months of a year. If you don't stay anywhere for more than 6 months it is up to you to consider where you want to pay them. If they are cheaper in Slovenia then pay them there !

You can stay where you want in the EU and nobody will really care unless you have an issue that depends on residency , but what is right is a different question -))

Cheers
Ricky

Yeah, I figured that much, but I wanted to make sure now, rather than face complications later.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

you can be resident but not tax resident in Malta, as the conditions are different

Hi all,
We have a home in the UK. We are going to be here for 6 months and we have rented a house in Mosta. Are we tourists or a residents? Not sure what to report or to who and when?
Cheers,
Roy

as you intend on being here for more than 3 months you are already resident :-)

so you need to apply for an eResidence card

georgeingozo wrote:

so you need to apply for an eResidence card

Immediately then or after (or during) the 3 months? How do we go about doing that and if we didn't what trouble could we be in?

you can do it immediately or wait for the 3 months. How ? its in one of the pinned posts

" if we didn't what trouble could we be in?" - almost certainly none

georgeingozo wrote:

you can do it immediately or wait for the 3 months. How ? its in one of the pinned posts

" if we didn't what trouble could we be in?" - almost certainly none

Cheers and thank you:)

you are supposed to apply as you are here for over 3 months, but I suspect if you asked the authorities they would say dont bother as only here for 6 months

SlavojZizek wrote:

Since Malta is a bit special case, being an island, I was wondering if things are different for Malta. Like, maybe I stay there for 4 months, then I have to show my passport at the airport when Imk leaving and they say, oops, our record shows you came in 4 months ago via plane, so  you are in violation. Basically, since there are passport checks at the airports, I was wondering if that changes anything.

There is no passport check for the flight inside Schengen Area.
If you are not applying for anything from the authorities (bank, insurance, work, allowances etc) - nobody even know that you are in Malta.