Everyday life in Canada

Hi all. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Canada next year. We have 2 young boys who will be 2 and a half and 1. We are trying to decide between Canada and Australia. I think we both feel Canada would be great for family life, it's cheaper, closer to home and we've family in Minnesota so we are more inclined to go with Canada. My only worry is the weather....is it absolutely freezing? Will we be shovelling snow daily for 7 months of the year? I hear different reports. We are thinking Burlington, Ontario but any recommendations on where to live would be appreciated. And truthfully on how the weather is.....will we find it tough? We are not used to extremes in Ireland! Thanks in advance.

@Cookie Dough,

Canada's always been wrongfully viewed as the great white north. I would like to say one thing though, the country is so big that different areas have different climates because of its geography. So a one size fit all description doesn't cut it for this maple leaf country.

Yes, the mid-west (Alberta, Saskatchewan and parts of Manitoba) tends to be more cold during the winter times. And also Quebec and some parts of Ontario. However Maritime provinces for the most part have milder winters. Mildest of them all is of course Vancouver. But note too that due to global warming, winters are shorter (they start later and ends earlier) and the white stuff doesn't fall as often.

Hi Cookie dough,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Just to inform you that a new topic has been created with your post on the Canada forum. ;)

Hi,

We moved to Montreal last year, and I indeed shoveled a lot of snow from our tiny driveway :-)
It piled up so high I could not fling it anymore and had to haul it back on a sled by the end :-)
This year we pay for mechanized removal, it's less than $200 for the whole winter.
We enjoyed the winter a lot though, it was bright and sunny with lovely white snow everywhere all winter long. Constant freezing means no rain, mist, puddles, gloom or doom. You get sick less often too, in fact none of us did at all.
Make sure to budget for some good winter clothes (boots, coats, ski pants) so you can go out and enjoy it. Things that are adequate for a warmer climate are not worth the space in your luggage in -20 C.
Spring and fall are fairly short, and the summer is great!
Unless you happen to enjoy rain all year around of course. To me Ireland/GB seems like a place suitable only for plant life, so tastes differ greatly.

Hello! We are a Swiss-Canadian family living in the Okanagan Valley of. British Columbia! Think of Tuscany in the summer(32-39 Cel.), wineries, fruit orchards, lakes, air conditioning, swimming pools.......and in winter usually just a 'dusting'..like icing sugar on buns!--of dry snow.  Typical temperatures around 5 on down to -8 or so for the months of November through to February. Very dry air. Vancouver is our coastal city--gorgeous when the sun shines (March through October) but boy, oh boy, does it RAIN from November through Frebruary. Moderate winters and very rarely snow! This is about as far west of our large country as you can get. Our daughter is based in Winnipeg, Manitoba(the middle of our country) and SHE gets tons of snow and long winters but then warm,humid summers. Then we have other relatives in Toronto, Ontario( snow in winter and high humidity in summer but a fairly balanced year weather wise in terms of definite seasons) and of course, there is Newfoundland.......cool, crisp windy!! .......in my mind, year-round! Hopefully this helps!

Well, having been born and raised in Hamilton, ON (Burlington is it's little next-door neighbor) I can tell you what you've heard is completely exaggerated. Winter is nowhere near 7 months and my entire life (Now 65) there's never been a winter that lasted that long. In fact, children worry whether or not there will be snow or if it will dip below 0º C for Christmas so they can use the sleds, toboggans and ice skates they are likely to get as presents. There have been some winters in the Hamilton/Burlington area where there wasn't any snow for the whole winter period, there have also been others where they've gotten a real dumping of snow like last year.

Yes, the weather can be extremely cold, but nothing compared to some other parts of Canada. Winnipeg AB, for example can dip to -40º C at times. You'll adapt quickly to the cold and from my own experience you'll find it a lot colder and harsher weather conditions in Minnesota where your other family members live.

@Cookie Dough,
Not sure if you are still on the fence as to moving to the Burlington area (or to Canada in general).  I have lived and worked in Burlington / Oakville for more than 15 years.  I was born and raised in New Jersey, USA.  If your only concern is the weather, then pack your bags.  This year in particular has been very mild so far.  Very little snow and quite warm for January.  In my experience (averaged out over 15 years) it is sweater / light jacket weather until late November.  After that, a Winter coat will keep you quite comfortable until Mid-March / beginning of April.  At that point, Winter is on its last legs and you will typically find buds on the trees.  During that time, there might be warmer than normal or colder than normal temperatures for a few days on end, but you will adjust quickly.  If you have ever made a Winter-time visit to any city in the Northeastern U.S. (I.E., New York, Boston) then you have essentially experienced Toronto weather already.  Their weather conditions would be nearly identical to the area of Ontario you are considering. Hope that helps and good luck!

Hi

Hope you are well today

I am South African and looking to move to Canda with my Family. My husband and I are both Professionals and not sure if you can assist, can you find a job before coming to Canada. Do you know of an easy way to come and if there are lots of scope for jobs

Read so much about Canada and really cant wait to come.

Hi

My husband, daughter and myself are thinkin of  moving to canada and living in toronto. We both have qualifications. I a in finance and my husband logistics and a psychologist. Is jobs easY to find..

Hi

No one can offer job on this forum. You need to search jobs via indeed.com and other similar search engines.
BTW its almost impossible to find a job in Canada without having permanent residency , so its better to get your PR first

Following this too... I live in Ireland, planning to move to Canada

Hi qureshi,
I saw your answer and thought would be helpful to ask my questions too. I am plannig to move to Canada. Ive heard that one can get PR within 2-3 years starting from university life, saying that I will enroll in a uni. Ive heard esp in French speaking part its easier to get PR and uni years are counted too, u dont need to work to be counted the years you live in the country to get PR (as in Ireland student visa and volunteering visa dont count to apply for PR)

Do you have any advise related to PR ( please send me links too. but  Id prefer from your experience, what  you and your friends have faced

Thanks a lot
Rudina