Tourist visa between calendar years?

I've just arrived (August 2013) and am considering renewing my visa into the next year. Has anyone done this? Beyond the 150 day limit? What traps await me? Any advice from those who have accomplished this?

I arrived in Dec 2011 and was able to stay on a tourist visa for the first 150 days in 2012. You should not have any concerns extending you visa for the full 150 days this year or for a full 150 period next year.

Did you "renew" your visa once in total for more than 150 days? Which is what I would like to do. I don't want to renew the tourist visa twice (for each year). That's a red flag to a bureaucrat! Thanks for your reply e_moodie

There is no problem renewing it for a tourist visa. When you go to immigration don't fall victim to the countless 'helpers' that are there standing around. They are freelancers, not working for the government. Whatever they get is directly out of your pocket, not legitimate fees.

First, fill out the form yourself and don't let them sales talk you. Then go stand in line. Be sure you bring the documents you need, which is minimal for the tourist visa. Then if you have a problem you will want to talk with someone and give them some money for their help. But these guys lie and don't tell you how much money is their share and it's all under the table, what they get from you is like a gift from you.

I wrote a book to help tourists with things like this in Nepal. One tip from the book is to take someone from your guest house staff if you think there will be a problem. A couple hundred rupees to this person will save you a lot of rupees to the sharks at immigration.

There are many tips on my blog at http://FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com

You can get 150 days annually. No such thing as between years. You should inquire in December on how to obtain a new visa beginning January 1st, 2015, for up to 150 days for that year. Days do not carry over from one year to another. If you leave Nepal before you have used up your 150 days, you are entitled to how many days you have left in that year if you return in the same year.

Bogong, don't worry. What you want to do is entirely possible, as long as your keep your stay in the current year under 150 days, so that you are still on a valid visa on December 31, then you can renew your visa from January 1 again onwards for the next 150 days. In this fashion you can stay a total of max. 300 days in Nepal on a tourist visa, combining 150 days of the first year and 150 days of the next year.
Many long-stay tourists do this, and many have gone this path before you. No issues or hassles from immigration on this, that is, nothing except what they give anyone to renew a tourist visa.

And don't worry about extending your visa 'twice'... you will have to extend in monthly, every time extending it for another 30 days (if I am informed correctly), so your twice would more likely become a 6th or 7th extension, assuming you came on a 90 days visa. Immigration is used to that (they should be by now) and might even remember your by name...  :)