Teach in China - Scam ??

Pls comment on this??

http://chinascampatrol.wordpress.com/20 … requested/

http://chinafraudpatrol.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2013/ … ll-rip-you

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin … d=1#m_2454

Some of these are also advertised on expat-blog also.

Thanks,

I am not a teacher and do not pretend to know everything about China.

I do know that I opened the first link that you provided and that it contains names of intern placement companies that I personally know to be legit.

In four of them I know the staff and have met at social functions (including our Expat.com get togethers) interns that came via those companies.  The interns were happy with the services provided.

I know of one company that a few years ago received very bad reviews for and recently interns that arrived via that company were telling me how happy they are.

In short that long list includes not just teacher placement companies but also intern placement companies.

Whether intern placement companies are worthwhile I suppose it depends on whether the placement experience will either look good on a fresh grads CV and/or whether it could lead to a full-time position.

Personally, In today's world China experience I think is a great plus for a new grads CV.

Dear Manlin,

Thanks for clearing the doubts!!

Please note It is more than possible that some (many?) of the companies listed on that list are less than reputable.

I am not sure how a company gets included in those lists. Is it a complaint from one unhappy person, from a competitor pretending to be a scammed teacher, or whether the list compliers did their due diligence and based the list on multiple complaints and post speaking to the company in question?

Yes there are scams. Recently though I am beginning to get the feeling that there are also people trying to make money by scaring people about the potential scams.

In any case, as always, due diligence is the key. Check, check and check again.

If possible try and make contact with someone who has travelled the same route to China.

I am planing to move to Shenzhen for studying at a university and was looking for part-time teaching job.  Several of these jobs have been advertised in jobs section and also a lot on the internet.  A few of these companies require to submit copies of degrees, passport, etc.  After viewing some of the complaints given on several scam alert blogs listed above created doubts that if I shall continue to interact with these companies. 

Manlin has provided good observation that teacher placement and intern placement have different goals and internees may have complaints for not achieving their goals.

Initially, I felt at ease looking for part-time job on the internet but seeing the scam reports (complaints), now considering to take opinion of others who have dealt with these companies or have information on these companies.

Thanks,

Hello Sir, I am currently pursuing MBA from Cardiff Metropolitan University and after which i would love to go and teach in China though my specialization is Finance .
please give me any necessary details that will be helpful or any agency that can formalize my contract to China .
Thank you .
Peter

Rule of thumb re getting a job (not an internship)  in China

If they ask you to pay it is more than likely a scam.

Yes, for any job they will want a copy of your CV. and yes (at contract stage) they will need to see a copy of your degree and passport.

To get a legal work visa they will need these documents. Depending a bit on the province the comapny hiring you/ getting your visa will also need the originals degree certificates.

So if you are planning on getting a legal job then bring your degree certificate with you.

On another note - it sounds to me as if you want to do something illegal. Your Uni student visa does not legally permit you to work.

Dear Manlin, Thanks for the advice.  I have inquired with other students in China and they have told me that I am allowed to work but Chinese language might be a problem.  Since I do not know Chinese language I was considering getting a part-time job teaching.

Where can I get more information on working on Student Visa?  I have scholarship which only covers tuition and I have to bear other expenses and was looking into part time job??  Hopefully I do not end up doing something illegal costing me my studies.

Thanks,

There is norm and there is the law.

The norm - many people work illegally in teaching jobs especially the one on ones private lessons.

A company cannot legally employ a person who does not have a valid work visa unless the company are able to arrange a visa for him/her.

To the best of my knowledge one cannot be legally employed by more than one company. So if you are legally employed and working 1/2 week for Company A then Company B cannot legally employ you for the second 1/2 of the week.

Re your visa - I suggest that you phone the nearest Chinese Embassy visa section (best the one that issued the visa) and ask them if you can or cannot work with the type of visa you hold / will hold.

TM7 wrote:

I have inquired with other students in China and they have told me that I am allowed to work but Chinese language might be a problem.

I'm living in Shenzhen and I do not recommend working without working visa.
This is totally illegal and if you get caught, you will come back directly to your home country...

Working on Student Visa??

To work part-time on student visa you are required to get permission from your school according to the information on following websites: 

1. http://blog.cucas.edu.cn/cucas-news/new … -in-china/

2.http://studyinchina.universiablogs.net/2013/07/23/students-beware-new-visa-rules-in-china/

I think the permission of the school is not enough.
In my opinion you also need to have the permission from the PSB or government office to work.

You might double check these informations on official websites as your 2 quoted websites are only blogs.
Maybe you can ask when you will be applying for your student visa/resident permit if it's allowed or not to work with it.

Vincent.

I agree with Vincent.

Please check with an official source.

Do you already have the visa? What type of visa is it ?

Manlin and Vincent,

Thanks for the help.  It will be good to know if someone had followed the same path.

I will check with the Chinese Embassy to get the proper information.

Thanks again.

there are some of companies actually work as human smuggler,  I was met one of them, they deposit my passport for about one month, and promised me 10000 Yuan for run an errand in New York City,this money never being paid,and the errand never taken place, until I felt something went wrong, I want my passport back, this manager was very angry, and said the passport was not "in the place", after I threatened  to register my passport as lost, he fluttered, fetched it back somewhere outside of his office, during the time in his office, I overheard several telephone conversation, all about people demand their passport back, I know he run a scam, but I 'm too thick to know how he operated, i want warn  other people, not easily to believe things before you have a study on it, there are too many crooks there, their reputation as clean as toilet seat, I don't say all people are bad, but beware, they may use your passport for illegal activities, this activities no government will support.