Where to fly a kite in Saigon?

I heard that we can fly a kite in either district 2 or district 7 but not sure where is the better place? Although district 2 sounds better and some told me that you would have a better view from the other side of Thu Thiem tunel through Bitexco tower and Saigon river, not sure where exactly in district 2? Is it safe and has anyone tried to fly the kite here in Saigon yet? We want to do kind of picnic and some outdoor activities and look for a great view of Saigon before some of my friends leave...
Thank you very much!

Vietnamese fly kites all over, even around 'hot' power lines!

Since you want to picnic, just choose a park or other open grassy area. To my knowledge there are no 'designated' kite areas.

I'm in district 8 and during season (March seems to be a favourite month) there are kites everywhere.

U can go to d2. There are places to fly the kite

When I was a kid, I always flied a kite on the terrace!
You can go to D2, I lived near there 2 years, and I always went to Thu Thiem to see people flying kites.

eodmatt wrote:

I'm in district 8 and during season (March seems to be a favourite month) there are kites everywhere.

Yes. I love driving on Võ Văn Kiêt in those months. Especially there are a lot kites near Lo Gom bridge. When spin comes, I usually see some children train each others in district 6 like this

http://res.vtc.vn/media/vtcnews/2013/09 … -RON_1.jpg

By the way, I usually go to buy a lot of toys. Do you need me to buy a kite for you Op?

@dejavu.dot

Thanks for your kind offer, but I don't need a kite right now and anyway I'll be travelling again soon. Thanks for the picture though, I love to see dragon dancing. The first time I saw dragon dancing was in Vung Tau back in year 2000 and I never forgot how agile and nimble those people are. If you have any more pics I'd love to see them.

Matt

Thank you all for the information/advice. I have checked and it seems the other side of Thu Thiem tunel in District 2 is the best place for flying a kite. The view at sunset time is amazing there, you also need a camera to catch up the view of Saigon :)
Dejavu.dot: many thanks for the offer. We intended to make our kites (with newspaper and bamboo) but now we cannot find a place to buy bamboo. Do you know where we can find those? Also, a place to buy a kite? How much for 1 kite? Please give me a hint.
Many thanks, again.

eodmatt wrote:

@dejavu.dot

Thanks for your kind offer, but I don't need a kite right now and anyway I'll be travelling again soon. Thanks for the picture though, I love to see dragon dancing. The first time I saw dragon dancing was in Vung Tau back in year 2000 and I never forgot how agile and nimble those people are. If you have any more pics I'd love to see them.

Matt

Hi,

You're welcome Matt. If you like it, pls check it here:

https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=mua+ … mp;bih=699

A funny video about Lion dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDRidQ6qfsc

I prefer watching adolescences practicing Lion dance in the park I usually go to take exercises. They practice it everyday. I guess those boys are in a club that performs in many places. I always feel joyful when I see they can jump too high! Another group I told above is orphanages or every poor children. They practice lion dance for money without having an experienced trainer. Just older boys guide younger boys. Watching them sometimes makes me burst into tears insides my heart cos the performance is amazing and opposites to their unhappy fates.

aibiet150204 wrote:

Thank you all for the information/advice. I have checked and it seems the other side of Thu Thiem tunel in District 2 is the best place for flying a kite. The view at sunset time is amazing there, you also need a camera to catch up the view of Saigon :)
Dejavu.dot: many thanks for the offer. We intended to make our kites (with newspaper and bamboo) but now we cannot find a place to buy bamboo. Do you know where we can find those? Also, a place to buy a kite? How much for 1 kite? Please give me a hint.
Many thanks, again.

I tried to make kites some times. Really interesting but my kites were never able to fly.

Yes, you are right. I remember it now. I don't know if people fly the kite in this month or not. If yes, you just need to come and buy a kite there. Quite easier than going to district 5. There are various kinds of kites but I don't know the retail price. I guess they is under 100 000đ.  I prefer nilon kites. They fly very easily and high.

thanks for your information, dejavu

Dejavu.dot wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

@dejavu.dot

Matt

Hi,

You're welcome Matt. If you like it, pls check it here:

https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=mua+ … mp;bih=699

A funny video about Lion dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDRidQ6qfsc

I prefer watching adolescences practicing Lion dance in the park I usually go to take exercises. They practice it everyday. I guess those boys are in a club that performs in many places. I always feel joyful when I see they can jump too high! Another group I told above is orphanages or every poor children. They practice lion dance for money without having an experienced trainer. Just older boys guide younger boys. Watching them sometimes makes me burst into tears insides my heart cos the performance is amazing and opposites to their unhappy fates.

aibiet150204 wrote:

Many thanks, again.

I tried to make kites some times. Really interesting but my kites were never able to fly.

Yes, you are right. I remember it now. I don't know if people fly the kite in this month or not. If yes, you just need to come and buy a kite there. Quite easier than going to district 5. There are various kinds of kites but I don't know the retail price. I guess they is under 100 000đ.  I prefer nilon kites. They fly very easily and high.

You're welcome! I hope you will enjoy with the kites.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

You're welcome! I hope you will enjoy with the kites.

Many thanks, dejavu.dot, it's really kind of you. We now only hope that it will not be raining this Saturday!

if you wanto fly kite but you did not know, i could help you because that place is near my house in TanBinh district

steventrinh wrote:

if you wanto fly kite but you did not know, i could help you because that place is near my house in TanBinh district

Thanks for the offer. We already got a place :)

You're welcome. I hope you bought a kite now.

I bought a kite last year to take to Uk as a present for my grandson. It was too big to go in my suitcase and they wouldnt let me on the plane with it as hand baggage  :(

eodmatt wrote:

I bought a kite last year to take to Uk as a present for my grandson. It was too big to go in my suitcase and they wouldnt let me on the plane with it as hand baggage  :(

A shark kite?

Dejavu.dot wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

A shark kite?

Yep. Pity as it was a lovely big kite. I gave it away to a local kid in the end.

eodmatt wrote:

Yep. Pity as it was a lovely big kite. I gave it away to a local kid in the end.

You were a Santa clause who brought gift earlier

Dejavu.dot wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

You were a Santa clause who brought gift earlier

I hope he had lots of fun with it! I should have worn a red coat when I gave it away. Come to think of it, are there any reindeer in Saigon?  :cool:

eodmatt wrote:

My living neighborhood in D8 is called "Đồng Diều" means "Kites Garden". Many years ago, this area was an empty field, and every children went there for flying kites. These days, there is still a piece of yard, but cannot load so many people.

Aha, we are neighbours then!

I have to say that there isn't much going on in D8 and its quite a long ride back to D1. There are some fish ponds where we are but thats about it. Still, the kites make a colourful display at that time of year    :)

[moderated: off-topic and inappropriate]