Keep those Headlights and Taillights Burning!

Over the past three weeks I have been stopped twice in HCM and three times outside HCM - twice during the day - for 'light' checks. I do about 3-4,000 kilometres a month. There is no language 'problem' (or escape) - one CGST operates your light switch and the other observes your lights.

I popped a headlight in the An Giang 'smuggling zone' a few days ago. I stopped to replace the defective light and a couple of armed hairies (border police) crawled out of the bush to check the action.

You can buy LED replacement side and tail lights on Calmette (Cho Dan Sinh area) as well as on the side streets of Ta Uyen in Cho Lon. LED lights rarely completely fail and will prevent you having to donate to the CGST 'pension fund'

http://www.easy-motorcycle.com/images/742/HID-ABR6000-4.jpg

HID-ABR6000-4.jpg.

Trying to load the servers down again?

Dejavu.dot's photo looks like my headlight. That's with the HID lamp off in the running light mode. Police from HCMC to Can Tho have no problem with it.  (HID lamp on - the red "devil eye" changes to bright white.)

saigonmonkey wrote:

That's with the HID lamp off in the running light mode.

I nearly drove straight into a motorcycle going the wrong way on the highway with red lights as front side lights! As bad as idiots who put bright white lamps in their rear lamp holder, except you are going the same way.

Jaitch, I'm with you on that, and when I had that devil eye installed, I had thoughts exactly as you describe - what's going to happen when I encounter one of the idiots going the wrong way? Is he going to mistake it for a tail light and just keep coming?  But it just looked too damn cool to pass on, and I'm otherwise bored with scooter-riding anyway, so I thought, "what the hell" and pimped it up anyway.  As for those wrong-way riders, I avoid the far right side of the road for that reason, and have been stopped more than a dozen times by the CSGT for riding a wee bit in the left lane.  I'd rather pay the bribe than risk a head-on collision with a wrong-way idiot.

saigonmonkey wrote:

...I had thoughts exactly as you describe - what's going to happen when I encounter one of the idiots going the wrong way?  ...  As for those wrong-way riders, I avoid the far right side of the road for that reason, and have been stopped more than a dozen times by the CSGT for riding a wee bit in the left lane...

Even worse are the 'ghost riders' populating the roads - those vehicles with NO BACK LIGHTS or even NO FRONT LIGHTS.

Add to this the darkened parked vehicles in the R/H lane - both 4-wheel and 2-wheel - and AFTER 04.30H the damn people who think the R/H lane is their private gymnasium.

I have tried several different types of lights, east with D-I-Y LED systems. For a couple of years I have had both a red and a green laser (separately)  pointing at 45 degrees to the right under my headlight. They help brighten parked vehicles, especially reflective number plates.

A couple of months ago I changed to a 'scanning' laser - a laser mounted on a cell handset 'vibrator' motor which is mounted atop an eccentric disk. The vibrator produces a vertical movement and the wheel allows scanning from 10-80 degrees to the right.

I suspect my next upgrade will be from a VND20,000 low power laser to a 2 or 4 milliwatt unit. By moving the laser it reduces the chance of blinding someone and increase my field of view.

There was an airhead in Nguyen Van Linh two months ago who I nearly rear ended. No lights in the back, headlight and one side light out and she was chatting on her cell handset! She spoke English and I suggested she get her lights fixed. She replied she had no time to which I responded you can't make calls from Heaven.

I just read that the biggest killer of young drivers in the USA is mobile phone use whilst driving. Im amazed at how many of the locals put their phones before safety.

Jaitch wrote:
saigonmonkey wrote:

...I had thoughts exactly as you describe - what's going to happen when I encounter one of the idiots going the wrong way?  ...  As for those wrong-way riders, I avoid the far right side of the road for that reason, and have been stopped more than a dozen times by the CSGT for riding a wee bit in the left lane...

Even worse are the 'ghost riders' populating the roads - those vehicles with NO BACK LIGHTS or even NO FRONT LIGHTS.

Add to this the darkened parked vehicles in the R/H lane - both 4-wheel and 2-wheel - and AFTER 04.30H the damn people who think the R/H lane is their private gymnasium.

I have tried several different types of lights, east with D-I-Y LED systems. For a couple of years I have had both a red and a green laser (separately)  pointing at 45 degrees to the right under my headlight. They help brighten parked vehicles, especially reflective number plates.

A couple of months ago I changed to a 'scanning' laser - a laser mounted on a cell handset 'vibrator' motor which is mounted atop an eccentric disk. The vibrator produces a vertical movement and the wheel allows scanning from 10-80 degrees to the right.

I suspect my next upgrade will be from a VND20,000 low power laser to a 2 or 4 milliwatt unit. By moving the laser it reduces the chance of blinding someone and increase my field of view.

There was an airhead in Nguyen Van Linh two months ago who I nearly rear ended. No lights in the back, headlight and one side light out and she was chatting on her cell handset! She spoke English and I suggested she get her lights fixed. She replied she had no time to which I responded you can't make calls from Heaven.

The 'no lights at night' thing is really bizarre.
In Cambodia,it's illegal to turn on your lights during the day,BUT NOT illegal to leave them off at night.
And some believe that leaving the lights off will save on fuel.
Perhaps some in VN have the same idea?

Unless of course it's the ice delivery guy.
No head/tail light.  No front brake.B.ald tyres. No battery.  Piece of  wire as a kill switch.Chopped from other bikes.
And a teen driver wearing wet greasy  rubber boots.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/4-Chinese-copy.jpg