What to do the first day you arrive?

Hello all, when I first posted here the thought of moving to Mauritius was a dream rather than a real plan, fast forward a few months and here we are, circa 10 days away from the flight that will take my husband, me and hopefully 2 of our cats to la belle Ile Maurice.
So, after leaving the airport (we'll arrive in the morning) and getting to Trou aux Biches by taxi, what do you advise us to do? We'll probably be dead tired (personally I *never* sleep more than 30 minutes even on such long flights, around 12 hours) but still I know I won't feel like wasting even just 1 minute of the our new life :)
What did you do the very first day you arrived? Did you go straight to get all the health checks, did you open a bank account, did you check the town/facilities around, did you go to rent a car?
Thank you in advance for your answers  :cheers:

Hi.
I would tryband sort out a car beforehand and have it ready for the day u arrive or a few days after. Saying that though after the flight and arrival my itinerary was shower, nap, beach, food and sleep again.
shops etc can wait till your less tired.
:)  and a big welcome soon.

Hi Ine, shower + nap + beach sounds like a good plan after all! :)
And yes, we'll have to figure out our food , too! I forgot about that :>
thank you for your answer

Quality European food is quite rare and expensive in Mauritius so I suggest you
bring a few things your not likely to find here.
Try and adapt your diet to the local flavors its not so bad :)

A nice cold beer - if you enjoy a drink, a good sleep, sort out a car and then just go with the flow.

Hi, where r u coming from?
If u r coming from uk there's a few things I'd advise u 2 bring : teabags, plastic containers, sun lotion, perfume/bodysprays and plastic containers 4 ur food (they r expensive here and ants will have ur cereal b4 u do if u leave them in the box!) 
As 4 the 1st day, we did a food shop and then just chilled out!
I've only been here a few months!
Good luck with everything! Do u have children coming with u?

Hello all, thank you for your answers!
Well I've been here for 4 months now, the first day didn't go as smoothly as expected as we had no car yet and we arrived during a heat/humidity wave that made everything more complicated (walking back and forth a few times to the mini-market for food + cleaning supplies, for example).
But at the end of the day we walked to the beach (just 10 minutes away) and enjoyed a spectacular sunset that made everything alright ;-)
cheers & happy new year

nocturna wrote:

Hello all, thank you for your answers!
Well I've been here for 4 months now, the first day didn't go as smoothly as expected as we had no car yet and we arrived during a heat/humidity wave that made everything more complicated (walking back and forth a few times to the mini-market for food + cleaning supplies, for example).
But at the end of the day we walked to the beach (just 10 minutes away) and enjoyed a spectacular sunset that made everything alright ;-)
cheers & happy new year

Was your move to Mauritius backed up with a working visa or what?

Happy new year to all of you
Tamer

Hi Tamer, yes working permit (for my husband)
happy new year!

Hello one house, am from Nigeria hoping to move and reside in Mauritius by march. Can anybody update how easy to secure job and how good is mauritius economy. Thnks