Make friends in Hamburg

Hola

I am originally from Barcelona and I have been living in Hamburg for 5 months already.

I find it really hard to make new friends..
people here are very polite though a tad distant.

Back in Barcelona I would be sitting in a cafe reading and I would meet many foreigners every other day..
here I feel invisible. I wonder what could I do with my new power of invisibility.

If anyone around feels like talking just let me know

Greetings from my very boring living room

M.

Hi,

I just arrived in Hamburg for a new contract that will keep me here for at least a year. Anyway, I am originally from Mexico but I live in London where my family is based.

I am more than happy to meet someday and maybe exchange experiencdes. I lived in Germany before, it takes Germans a bit longer than most to get used to outsiders. but eventually they warm out.

if you fancy a beer one of this days please let me know...
Carlos

I am taking a German language course and over half the students are from Central or South America so this might be a good place to meet people.  I've only had a week of classes and have already had 2 invitations for events outside of class.

It is quite hard to make friends in Germany, especially in the north of Germany ( Hamburg ) where people are known for being not inpolite but very cautious and reserved when it comes to meeting new people. This phenomenon is known across Germany about the 'northern lights'
Join clubs, sports teams, art classes  or whatever your interest might be. There you get a chance to meet people on a regular basis and get to know them better. YouŽll meet plenty of new people by joining social activities and they will open up.

The expression "northern lights" is actually new to me, but you are right - Northern Germans are cautious and it takes time, but once you are there, it is cordial and warm-hearted.

I could also recommend taking courses at VHS. Depending on the topics you are interested in, you might have a chance to meet people from different background and ages.

Hallo invisible spanish girl!

I am an invisible Greek in Dusseldorf:)

Already 2 months in the city and i look everyday in the mirror because i need to speak to someone...

The Germans have a frozen politness...sometimes i think that they are polite because they are obligt..
I wonder if something is wrong with me and they dont talk to me but your message gives me courage...

My German collueges ask me every monday how was my weekend and what i have done. I tell them that i have done nothing speacial because i have not friends here. Until now noone told me to join him/her the next weekend...

If i was in Greece... an other world...

You may want to give Volksmarching a try (although it's the "off-season" at the moment, admittedly).  I've done quite a bit, and I almost invariably end up walking and talking for a few kilometers or so with some new stranger.  I've even experienced seeing the same person at a dfferent march, weeks later.  It was truly like running into an old friend.

Viel Gluck!

Hi and thank you for your e-mail!

I don't know waht is excactly this "volksmarching", i check in internet though..

It looks like realy interesting!

Do you know an internet address especially in the area of Dusseldorf that i  can check out?

I'm sure there are some Volksmarch clubs in the Dusseldorf area that have websites, but I don't know of any directly.  You can check out dvv-wandern.de  They have a listing of all upcoming events, and the text for each event often includes a link to the sponsoring club's website.

Come on!! I can't believe!!
from my side this city is really nice and it's not that difficult to talk with people...
I can understand friendship is something different, but I don't see all this closure as you describe...
I hope the new year will bring you more "visibility"!!
Have fun,
Fabry

fanling wrote:

The expression "northern lights" is actually new to me, but you are right - Northern Germans are cautious and it takes time, but once you are there, it is cordial and warm-hearted.

I could also recommend taking courses at VHS. Depending on the topics you are interested in, you might have a chance to meet people from different background and ages.

I just landed in Kiel a couple of weeks ago - and I have found that most people are very warm-hearted. Language is a bit of a barrier, but I am here to do research at the University-Hospital and most people like to practice their English with me. I will be taking German language courses at the VHS, so it is good to hear that you had a positive experience there.

shirin wrote:
fanling wrote:

I just landed in Kiel a couple of weeks ago - and I have found that most people are very warm-hearted. Language is a bit of a barrier, but I am here to do research at the University-Hospital and most people like to practice their English with me. I will be taking German language courses at the VHS, so it is good to hear that you had a positive experience there.

Hi,

welcome in Kiel! Glad that you at least don't dislike it here :-) One actually can't feel lonely working at the Univerity hospital, with so many different people from different cultural background. At least that is the impression I got during some not so nice occassions I was here. You know, visiting friends or relatives who were hospitalized :-(

Hope you are making good progress at the VHS. Have you tried out the "Restaurant Einstein" yet? :-)

Viele Gruesse
Fanling

Hola Eyelash,

I doubt if you could be more bored than me, so maybe we should catch up to see just how boring our lives are!

Work is good, but after that I have nothing to do, and nowhere to go.

I joined sites and groups like this so I could find interesting new people to meet in my new home.

Please let me know if you want to chat sometime?

chris

Hi there,

well feel the same if anyone around and wanna chat , feel free. Well I think it is the one and only me who is from Thailand. it is hard too to find new friends ) : and my German still sucks ) :
it would be nice to get to know and meet some new people.
Tomi

Hello IŽm new as well but I came from London so...Hamburg isnŽt so bad.  IŽm from Colombia and I just arrive 2 weeks ago. If you want to go outside for a coffe, let me know.  Enjoy the weather. Bye. Diana V.

Hello all,  :)

It would be great if you can organise an Expat.com meet-up. You just have to suggest a place, date and time. ;)

hellloo, this is very cool to Read, i almost thought i was the only One who didnf know anybody here! i moved here almost 2 months ago, because my boyfriend is german!

i am from belgium BTW!:)

yep, we should organise a event, meet up, have fun

Giocolato wrote:

Hi and thank you for your e-mail!

I don't know waht is excactly this "volksmarching", i check in internet though..

It looks like realy interesting!

Do you know an internet address especially in the area of Dusseldorf that i  can check out?

Hallo!

I actually have an address for you, where you can meet a great girl who alwasy organises events.

I met her once through a groops.de and she lives in Dusseldorf.

Go to groops.de/fun-freaks-auf-zack

For the other people suffering from loneliness in Germany, you can also go to groops.de where you will find different groups in your area.

I'm in the region of Cologne since January and i experience the same thing, the German need time to open their heart to new people and it is hard to make new friends. Even if you are invited to a party by someone, when you meet the other people of the group another day, you will still feel like a stranger, they need time to be friends.

So the best advice was already given: practice activities you are interested in, go to sport clubs, creation activities etc... at least don't stay on your own!

For the French there is a large community you can reach throught connexion francaise. I believe you have the same for other nationalities.

When i'm back from my holiday (i go back to France tomorrow) in July we can organise a meeting in the Cologne/Dusseldorf area if people are interested :)

Hola Eyelash and welcome to Hamburg! I know how you feel, but 5 months isn't really long.  I have been in Hamburg 2 years and I have 2 friends, one is American like me and the other is Canadian.  I don't have any real German friends.  Germans are not as open and friendly as other people you may have met.  When I got here I thought I would make friends without a problem.  I am very friendly and come across as being open to new people and learning about new cultures.  It bothered me for a long time, I just couldn't understand why they were like that.  I just had to chalk it up to that's just how they are. I asked a friend of mine (he is Irish and has been here 15 years) what the deal was.... his answer, a lot people already have their friend base and have no desire to expand it.  Some of them really don't want to get to know people form other countries and backgrounds.

Go to a pub, check out Finnegans Wake, its down by the Rathaus.  Everyone is English speaking and its a great place to meet people.  Even some Germans hang out there too.  Here is a link to their website:  http://finneganswakeirishpub.com/

I wish you good luck and if you like I would be up to meet for coffee sometime.  :)

Hi,

Welcome to Hamburg, I have the same expirience with people over here.

@Earthly, thank you for the link :)

Hello
just wanted to ask if any one new of a easy online free german
class ,?
hope to hear from you soon ..

Hello dabell, I invite you to start a new thread on the forum Hamburg for better visibility.

Thanks,
Harmonie.

good luck :)

hola mi nombre es alexis bueno yo he leido tu mensaje y me siento asi invisible sin amigos bueno busco con quien conversar de algo interesante estoy aprendiendo aleman pero bueno siempre se extraña hacer risas con gente que habla tu mismo idioma. saludos

In English please Alexis!;)

EarthlyTaurus wrote:

Hola Eyelash and welcome to Hamburg! I know how you feel, but 5 months isn't really long.  I have been in Hamburg 2 years and I have 2 friends, one is American like me and the other is Canadian.  I don't have any real German friends.  Germans are not as open and friendly as other people you may have met.  When I got here I thought I would make friends without a problem.  I am very friendly and come across as being open to new people and learning about new cultures.  It bothered me for a long time, I just couldn't understand why they were like that.  I just had to chalk it up to that's just how they are. I asked a friend of mine (he is Irish and has been here 15 years) what the deal was.... his answer, a lot people already have their friend base and have no desire to expand it.  Some of them really don't want to get to know people form other countries and backgrounds.

Go to a pub, check out Finnegans Wake, its down by the Rathaus.  Everyone is English speaking and its a great place to meet people.  Even some Germans hang out there too.  Here is a link to their website:  http://finneganswakeirishpub.com/

I wish you good luck and if you like I would be up to meet for coffee sometime.  :)

Wow:

So many expats living in and around Hamburg and so many problems.

.... and Germans with frozen politeness.

I am from Hamburg. I am married to a Scottish Lassie. And I like foreigners.

All your comments show that Germans and especially the ones from the north are not very open in the beginning. But there are some tricks to get contacts. And only by making contacts you will find fiends eventually.

1) Pubs

If you like pubs you should look out for a local around the corner. Speak to the barman or the landlord first. You will quickly find out whether you are welcome or not. In my local in Winterhude (Profil in Gertigstrasse) you find a landlord who is speaking English and French. Foreign visitors are welcome. Some regulars are foreign.

Stand always at the bar. This is the easiest way to get into contact with others. And be patient: Germans need a little bit of time to start a conversation with strangers (not only with foreigner but with Germans as well)!

If you are a football fan search for a pub which shows football. Here it is very easy to get in contact with other football fanatics. But be careful. You should look out for signs which Hamburg club the majority in this pub is to follow:

Hamburger Sport Verein (HSV); blue - white - black
FC St. Pauli: brown - red - white

You should be always aware that fans of both clubs seldom like eachother.

If you do not like football but German beer you can drink in every pub. Just make sure that the landlord or barman is friendly.

For those who want to meet only a limited number of German Finnegan's Wake is a goord address. If you play golf you can join Finnegan's Wake Golf Association. In summer the club members play once a week (Saturday or Sunday morning) on different courses.

One thing is virtual impossible: To get into contact with somebody in a Hamburg cafe or a restaurant. I hardly ever spoke to a person sitting at the next table.

2) Clubs

For those who do not like pubs:

Germans are into clubs: Any kind of sport, cultur, politics, knitting, rabbit breeding etc. It is said that one third of Germany's population is member of a club.

If you are interested to a special subject look out for a club nearby and go there. Most German clubs are looking for new members. In general everybody is welcome. In general they are not expensive (except the ones like Falkenstein Golf Club).

3) Asking for help

Most Germans like to be needed. If you ask colleagues or neighbours for help or support in "this or that" you will be surprised how much effort they sill put into it. This might be the first brake through.

4) Invitation for dinner

Germans like to be invited for dinner. You should start with a restaurant. If you are good cook you can invite them later to your home.

It is very likely that they invite you back. That is sometimes a good start. Everybody relaxes when he or she eats decent food - even Germans.

I am sure that there are other "survival strategies".

Peter

More than willing to Go for a drink any time!!!!

Jst arrived in the forum but i am in Hamburg for 6 months and same conclusion: Hard to meet people!
More than willing to go out for a glass! :)

hey i wanna come to hamburg for one day to look arround coz i want move to it soon so there is any one join me to look out and give me information about the city

Hi Eyelash we been liveing in Hamburg since last August hasnt met new people yet.

Why is nobody organising a meeting?

Date: anytime

If I am in Hamburg I would come. Probably my wife is coming as well since she is a long-term expat (coming from Edinburgh and moved to Hamburg some 20 years ago).

So who is starting action? It does not make sense that everybody mumbles: "I cannot meet anybody in Hamburg." Why do you not meet with those who have obviously the same problem?

Hellou,my name is esteban,i am from argentina.
i'm living in hamburg since February,and it's difficult for me to do friends,cause i don't speak german. i'd like somebody help me!
i hope any answer,byeee

WHO IS PREPARED TO DO THE WORK FOR AN INITIAL MEETING?

Hi Peter Scheller!

Please avoid posting in caps lock ;)

Thanks
Armand

iam comming to germany if you want to mee you i come to you

Hi surdash711,

you could give us a little introduction?

I agree with the options Peter Scheller posted.  You cant just sit on your rear and complain about not meeting people... For goodness sake, take the advice posted. If everyone on this post meetup, then thats a great start.  I work at the Black Bean Coffee Company in Niendorfer Markt.  Great coffee, great vibe and  friendly customers.  We actually had a newcomers group that used to meet there, until recently.  I introduced my and bingo, I made a friend and we got to the movies together twice a month.  Just be open to what comes along....and, smile! I have had luck meeting new people in coffee shops and If you have kids, join a Mothers Groups, check out some the kid friendly coffee shops.  There is one (Osterstasse, I think)  that has a play area for the kids.     [

justify][/justify]

Peter Scheller wrote:

So many expats living in and around Hamburg and so many problems.

.... and Germans with frozen politeness.

I am from Hamburg. I am married to a Scottish Lassie. And I like foreigners.

All your comments show that Germans and especially the ones from the north are not very open in the beginning. But there are some tricks to get contacts. And only by making contacts you will find fiends eventually.

1) Pubs

If you like pubs you should look out for a local around the corner. Speak to the barman or the landlord first. You will quickly find out whether you are welcome or not. In my local in Winterhude (Profil in Gertigstrasse) you find a landlord who is speaking English and French. Foreign visitors are welcome. Some regulars are foreign.

Stand always at the bar. This is the easiest way to get into contact with others. And be patient: Germans need a little bit of time to start a conversation with strangers (not only with foreigner but with Germans as well)!

If you are a football fan search for a pub which shows football. Here it is very easy to get in contact with other football fanatics. But be careful. You should look out for signs which Hamburg club the majority in this pub is to follow:

Hamburger Sport Verein (HSV); blue - white - black
FC St. Pauli: brown - red - white

You should be always aware that fans of both clubs seldom like eachother.

If you do not like football but German beer you can drink in every pub. Just make sure that the landlord or barman is friendly.

For those who want to meet only a limited number of German Finnegan's Wake is a goord address. If you play golf you can join Finnegan's Wake Golf Association. In summer the club members play once a week (Saturday or Sunday morning) on different courses.

One thing is virtual impossible: To get into contact with somebody in a Hamburg cafe or a restaurant. I hardly ever spoke to a person sitting at the next table.

2) Clubs

For those who do not like pubs:

Germans are into clubs: Any kind of sport, cultur, politics, knitting, rabbit breeding etc. It is said that one third of Germany's population is member of a club.

If you are interested to a special subject look out for a club nearby and go there. Most German clubs are looking for new members. In general everybody is welcome. In general they are not expensive (except the ones like Falkenstein Golf Club).

3) Asking for help

Most Germans like to be needed. If you ask colleagues or neighbours for help or support in "this or that" you will be surprised how much effort they sill put into it. This might be the first brake through.

4) Invitation for dinner

Germans like to be invited for dinner. You should start with a restaurant. If you are good cook you can invite them later to your home.

It is very likely that they invite you back. That is sometimes a good start. Everybody relaxes when he or she eats decent food - even Germans.

I am sure that there are other "survival strategies".

Peter

... and I forgot: Golf

If somebody wants to play a round just contact me.