Moving to Tunisia

Hi,

My name is Nour, I live in Southern California, I am 57 years old, a chef, an Architect and few other things, I am thinking about early retirement, and Tunisia is one of the destination that I am interested in, I would love to get some information about living in Tunisia, the cost of living, and a places that I should consider......

If you have the time to share with me your experience and knowledge, I would appreciate it.....

Thank You

Nour

Hi Nour,

The cost of living is relatively cheap in Tunisia e.g. Apartment rental is about TND 600-1200...

Which city are you considering moving to?

You can post your questions in this fb group to get replies from locals and expats;

m.facebook.com/groups/146194665551004?ref=bookmark

Hello Nour

I invite you to browse on threads on the forum so as to gather informations while waiting for members to interact and bring you some informations.

Concerning the cost of living in Tunisia, kindly check out this link : http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ry=Tunisia

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you for the information....Nour

Hello Nour

I take delight in welcoming another English speaker.

Tunisia has it's delights and also pitfalls.  It is cheap to live here for things like utilities, petrol, food, things like hair cuts certainly about 1/3 of those in the UK.  However, electrical items are on a par or more expensive than Europe.  You can get some lovely pans, crockery etc if you know where to shop but things like bath towels, bedding is shockingly poor quality and rather well.. naff. Be prepared for very little choice in food stuffs and sometimes not being able to get things like bread even in local supermarkets.  That said, once you get to know local people and local shops you can get all the basics.  The problem I'm having is finding things to eat that I like, or adapting my own recipes.  My friend back in the UK is now on a one-women mission to find me recipes using limited fresh produce.

What's irritated me most is how slowly things function here and how tedious it is to do things like open a bank account or apply for a Carte de Sejour.  Believe me a friend and I did a LOT of research before we came and still what you read and what you find "on the ground" are very different and officials expect you to just discover it all yourself.  There are no such things such as help sheets/help websites. Anything in this area I can give you tips on.  Banks - I recommend BIAT or Societee General.  If you end up in the Sousse area I can introduce you to the people I've used who speak English.  Unlike UK banks, they offer interest on savings accounts.  As you know they are hungry for hard currency.

Things are tightening up for foreigners in terms of financial criteria.  On paper some people have looked healthier than me financially yet being refused... depends what mood they're in on the day I guess!  I'm looking to set up a small business so further down the line that will help, but it's 6 months off yet.

Be very cautious of people trying to get money out of you.. I've know a number of people men and women who've been stung for both small and very large amounts..  But like most places there are good and bad in all communities and once you get out of the tourist areas you find warm hearted, kind, helpful folk. 

As for an area to live I can't comment as I don't know you / your taste and what your family might like/not like. So, if you have any specific questions or worries that I can iron out for you or ask my other ex pat pals then I'll be happy to help.  I've come here on my own and it's comforting having even one person that you can just pick up the phone to.

Take care.  Best of luck.  Carole

Oh should have said.  LEARN SOME FRENCH even if basic is will help.  English speakers are limited. Carole

Thank u Carole for this detailed comment. I think that you have summarized the live in Tunisia (advantages and inconvenients). For the cities, I advice the region of Sousse for expats since you have many facilities not very far.

Hey I would just like to add that if you do decide to make a major purchase here in Tunisia using foreign currency make sure you get a certificate from the Banque Centrale stating how much you are bringing in. Not sure what this paper is called but it is straightforward to acquire I believe.  This is essential in the event that you decide to take that money back out of Tunisia, which would be impossible without it.