Question about baby surname

My GF is having my baby. We are not marry, and not planning to wed before the arrival of baby.  I would like to have the baby surname under mine on the birth certificate. What's the law concerning baby surname if couple not marry?

That's a legal advise  :cool:

According to Vietnamese Law, your question belongs to Family and Marriage Law field. I'm sorry for my bad English, so you have one person translated to English the following link:

http://giadinh.net.vn/phap-luat/bo-va-m … 916166.htm

Kindly,

Sure that u can't get it due to marriage law here in Vietnam. The only way is getting the marriage certificate n complete the birth application ur baby.

Good luck

If I remember correctly, if you have not got married yet, you can come to the local people committee when doing birth registration together with the girl and acknowledge that she can use your last name for the baby. Should have checked with the local people committee where you do the birth registration.

You can, but quite complicated. And you have to do the DNA test.(I mean the requirement of the law)

awayland wrote:

My GF is having my baby. We are not marry, and not planning to wed before the arrival of baby.  I would like to have the baby surname under mine on the birth certificate. What's the law concerning baby surname if couple not marry?

This can but done but you need to jump through and few hoops.You need to be able to show a relationship between you and the mother (pictures over an extended period of time), proof of financial support (ex, Western Union receipts, joint bank account), and you'll need to be in the country when filing. The birth certificate doesn't need to be filed right after birth, I think I waited three months or so to file because I was out of the country. The whole thing took three days of running around but not too painful.

Sorry, double post  :)

There are a number of perspectives to your question. I am married to a Vietnamese citizen and we have a daughter. In conformance with a growing trend in many countries, my wife retained the use of her name.

On some cultures when a couple is together, they are referred to as Mr. and Mrs. [Smith]. However, when the married woman is without her husband, she is referred to as Madame Nguyen, the Madame indicting she is married.

My daughter uses her Mother's family name as she definitely looks more Vietnamese than Caucasian. Your question suggests a touch of 'ego', why not marry the Mother, increase her community standing (as opposed to a unmarried mother)?

OR, she could have TWO SURNAMES, so in later life the child can make it's own choice.

Think CAREFULLY before loading your daughter up with a name, the new VNese regime has introduced LIFETIME ID NUMBERS and it is very, very hard to change names here.

PASSPORT PROCESS IS IMPORTANT.

Get junior a VIETNAMESE passport FIRST, then ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE A VN PASSPORT, apply for the non-VN passport. DO IT THE OTHER WAY and you USUALLY can't get a VN passport.

ASEAN passports will have an increasing utility in future years, besides, IMO, more passports the better.

Jaitch wrote:

There are a number of perspectives to your question. I am married to a Vietnamese citizen and we have a daughter. In conformance with a growing trend in many countries, my wife retained the use of her name.

On some cultures when a couple is together, they are referred to as Mr. and Mrs. [Smith]. However, when the married woman is without her husband, she is referred to as Madame Nguyen, the Madame indicting she is married.

My daughter uses her Mother's family name as she definitely looks more Vietnamese than Caucasian. Your question suggests a touch of 'ego', why not marry the Mother, increase her community standing (as opposed to a unmarried mother)?

OR, she could have TWO SURNAMES, so in later life the child can make it's own choice.

Think CAREFULLY before loading your daughter up with a name, the new VNese regime has introduced LIFETIME ID NUMBERS and it is very, very hard to change names here.

PASSPORT PROCESS IS IMPORTANT.

Get junior a VIETNAMESE passport FIRST, then ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE A VN PASSPORT, apply for the non-VN passport. DO IT THE OTHER WAY and you USUALLY can't get a VN passport.

ASEAN passports will have an increasing utility in future years, besides, IMO, more passports the better.

I am planning to eventually sponsor my baby and future wife over to Canada. To have the baby surname under mine would make the process faster if the birth certificate indicate that I am the father. Which raises another question. Would they list the father's name on the birth certificate if the woman is unmarried? BTW, it's a boy.

I think I would do everything I could to get married before the baby was born if you're planning on getting married anyhow.  It seems like that would make things a lot easier now and in the future.

Just curious:  Why not get married now?