Spouse Visa

Hi all,

I have just returned from immigration with my Malay wife. We got married here (KL) in June. The officer at the immigration dept has told us that we have to wait 6 months after the date of our wedding before we can apply for a Spouse Visa.

Is this true as a member of my wife's family has gone down a similar route but did not have to wait 6 months.

In regards to employment, I am a freelancer, how would I go about getting a work visa as everything seems to be tailored for permanent positions.

Kind regards

There is no logical reason you should wait six months, could it be a misunderstanding? The usual route is that you apply for a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) at any time, but have to remain in Malaysia for 6 months, and it seems immigration will not issue an endorsement to work during that period of time (but before it only applied to citizens of African countries and China). After that, an application can be made for a 1 year LTSVP. At that stage, if you have a job offer paying the required RM5k per month, then you can get an endorsement to work on your LTSVP.

The other way to be able to work immediately is for you to just apply for a job for which you are qualified. The same minimum salary requirement applies. Then the company applies for a work permit for you. i.e. forget about the LTSVP and have your own independent immigration status.

Yet another route if you want to be a freelancer is to register a company in Malaysia and get a tax number. Suggest you do this with your wife and her family members as co-Directors, as the minimum paid up capital is RM350,000.

More information about this is here:

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/malaysia … oreigners/

Check your situation out a bit more to make sure it is not just a misunderstanding or crossed wires.

You are however the second person in a week who has reported some difficulties with getting the LTSVP or the current terms that are being applied.

Cheers dude,

In relation to opening a bank account here. Is there much difficulty,do you need to be able to show income for a certain period etc?

You need a pass of some kind.

If you want to freelance only choice is to set up a company as gavitas pointed out.

The old spouse visa was far better (basicallya. Work permit) the new one sucks and is getting suckier!

My advice to anyone marrying a Malaysian especially if male. Take them home and avoid Malaysia!

Exchange rates for UK Sterling to Malaysian Ringgit are very attractive right now. If you can get a bank account that offers no charges and just reasonable exchange rates it is fine to use a debit card to extract money to spend in Malaysia. Do not use a UK credit card though. The interest charges start from the date of the withdrawal.

Ohnzandt wrote:

Cheers dude,

In relation to opening a bank account here. Is there much difficulty,do you need to be able to show income for a certain period etc?

Income, dont need to show, but a workpass is required nowadays. Used to be that an introducer could get you an account, not anymore. If a bank allows any other kind of visa im not aware of it so ask each bank in turn. That said, if you start your own company you can get a company account and a workpass isnt required to be a director but it is required to work in your own company.

I think the confusion about the 6 months period is that yes you have to wait 6 months (during which time you cant leave to demonstrate its not a phony marriage) then they deal with the visa. BUT....

Do they mean:
1) 6 months from date of marriage certificate?
2) 6 months from date of registration application at Pejabat Agama (if Malay) or other dept?
3) 6 months from LTSVP application at immigration?
4) 6 months from court approval to register at Pejabat Agama if one married abroad?

AND....what about that 6 months when one is holding a 3-months visa? If one leaves on time, then the 6 months period could never be met, correct?

Hey all, was wondering my partner is on a student visa and will be complting his degree soon. For him to continue being in Malaysia ( while still interning or looking for a job), what sort of visas are available to apply for?
We are planning to get married only in Mid 2016

He can remain on a student visa if doing an internship. He should advise his educational institution.  No other type of pass available and if his student visa runs out he would have to re-enter as a tourist. Its a case of get a job, be a student, or be a tourist. One type of pass possible at any time.

Wow Good to know there is another option. We would very much like him to obtain his visa independently rather than try to live off the 'spouse visa' initially. Will get him to check on that.

FYI one of his friends who got married in 2013, has been going in and out of the country every month for a year with his social visit pass. It seems that the immigration wants to be sure that he is not just using marriage as a form of extending his stay in Malaysia. This man alrd has a kid, and yet has to go up and down Putrajaya to get his visa renewed. But finally he has got a 6 months visa now.

Just remember that all new Student Passes have to be applied for outside of Malaysia. Extensions can be actioned by the educational institution.

Yes LTSVP are a different category and set of qualifications.